304 Stainless steel

Faffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
I'm not a metallurgist..... but i thought the 30x that Elon stated was a proprietary mix. The X being something they won't tell you about. As long as it won't rust and is as tough as first stated i'm ok with it.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
30X means it is austenitic (300 series). Sorry, you probably won't be able to stick magnets to these alloys.
301, 303, 304 , 316 can be work hardened which means when rolling it out into a sheet and forming etc. However it will anneal when welding. 303 has too much sulfur for welding but alloys like 304L or 316L do weld nicely.
301 can be work hardened to full hard.

So for outside door panels that are "bullet proof" perhaps 301 SS and for the rest of the exoskeleton, 304L when welding may be needed.

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag

Who thinks the cyber truck will be made out of 304 Stainless steel now that SpaceX will be using this in the production of starship.
SpaceX is using 304 currently because their in-house stainless steel is not finished being developed or they are working on the production. We know that the Cybertruck will be using the same materials and that the stainless steel is derived from 304L. It's funny because the only person who works both at Tesla and SpaceX, who isn't Elon, is their alloy engineer.

Joe Maw

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fairlane
Occupation
Miner
Country flag
Interesting comments on the steel,I was wondering the same thing if the entire body will be made from the same thickness of stainless,
Did any one notice the T shirt (thats what we call them in Australia) was wearing in the Jay Leno production the front of the Cybertruck had a alot of lines drawn into it.
Im no engineer however I did think possibly may be laser scibe marks on the inside of the steel to assist crumple zone in the event of a front end collision.
Be interested what other Cybertruck enthusiasts think about this observation as Elon may be dropping us a hint.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Interesting comments on the steel,I was wondering the same thing if the entire body will be made from the same thickness of stainless,
Did any one notice the T shirt (thats what we call them in Australia) was wearing in the Jay Leno production the front of the Cybertruck had a alot of lines drawn into it.
Im no engineer however I did think possibly may be laser scibe marks on the inside of the steel to assist crumple zone in the event of a front end collision.
Be interested what other Cybertruck enthusiasts think about this observation as Elon may be dropping us a hint.
I think it's this shirt.
https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/1...U_hwdMWFsEb5w-RMLeRoC61cQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
And I think it's just a wireframe render of the CT and the lines don't mean anything.

OP
OP

Tonyk2034

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
Elon was asked if the stainless steel for cyber truck was changing from 301 he said yes. So it appears the truck will be made of 304 L stainless as is space x star ship.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It’s a prototype. I expect many changes before the CT is finally In production. So all this talk is... well just talk and speculation. Anything that Elon says is... well sub just to change. It’s a prototype people.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
304L is a great all purpose SS. The L means it has lower carbon and this improves weldability.

Musk007 is correct that there could be changes but the possibilities at this point are hair splitting.

Reactions: Geo