Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Seeing this thing, first thoughts were neat but it hit me, this thing is like paper mache!
If a CT or truck or SUV ever hit it - at what ever angle - at least it is coffin size!
This thing could work if a city ONLY allowed it, cyclists or motorcycles on the streets with a total ban on bigger vehicles.
Very weak looking and I do not think it will pass any crash tests.
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Seeing this thing, first thoughts were neat but it hit me, this thing is like paper mache!
If a CT or truck or SUV ever hit it - at what ever angle - at least it is coffin size!
This thing could work if a city ONLY allowed it, cyclists or motorcycles on the streets with a total ban on bigger vehicles.
As a 3-wheel vehicle it isn't required to do the same crash tests like a regular 4-wheel vehicle. So I doubt we will know how this thing will do in a crash till there are a bunch of them out on the roads and a few of them get hit. However, the body is not made of foil. It is very light but still very strong. As per their FAQ it is

" Carbon, kevlar, and hemp . Sandwich core composites provide great strength."

From everything I have seen of the Aptera team this vehicle is built well. Sure it is not wrapped in 3mm SS but it is also not just fiberglass.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Apparently from what I've heard cockpit is designed with similar tech to F1 racing. But yes that was my first concern as well, safety.
It is a very cool design though. Although if I were to get a 3 wheeler it would definitely by a NOBE.

OP
OP

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
As a 3-wheel vehicle it isn't required to do the same crash tests like a regular 4-wheel vehicle. So I doubt we will know how this thing will do in a crash till there are a bunch of them out on the roads and a few of them get hit. However, the body is not made of foil. It is very light but still very strong. As per their FAQ it is

" Carbon, kevlar, and hemp . Sandwich core composites provide great strength."

From everything I have seen of the Aptera team this vehicle is built well. Sure it is not wrapped in 3mm SS but it is also not just fiberglass.
Ok, what i do like is that it can provide up to 45 miles of additional range simply with its solar panels, so that gives hope for the CT to be able to, hopefully, squeeze a goodly amount.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The monocoque-inspired composite design is very strong, and like a sportsball, it'll deflect from most impacts. So that's two things keeping it from being crushed like a traditional quad-wheel box. Having the wheels on outriggers give the Aptera greater maneuverability and stopping power, but it also means a glancing blow has a crumple zone directed away from the cabin.

The video of them trying to smash the original prototypes were kinda funny (infuriating and sad, too) because they stood up to the sledgehammer test with a decent rebound. And bounced instead of cracked when they tried smashing them with a big offset forklift.

-Crissa

Last edited:

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
My gut tells me I would be more afraid of the entire thing being launched like a ping pong ball into the air after a collision only to land in some even worse spot. The only way I can rationalize its safety is to think of it as a motorcycle and not have a false sense of security thinking of it as a car. It's cool though but not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My gut tells me I would be more afraid of the entire thing being launched into the air after a collision...
...That's a problem with any collision. You don't know where you'll end up. Being big just means more things hit you. And your vehicle (statistically) is more likely to cause death. For a couple decades there, SUVs were more likely to roll over and at freeway speed, kill their occupants. Safety devices have at least come back from that line, but they still kill pedestrians and others at a higher rate.

It's all tradeoffs. Smaller vehicles are more likely to kill unsafe drivers while larger vehicles are more likely to kill others.

-Crissa

PS: That driver-oriented statistic makes smaller vehicles seem more dangerous... But if you don't drink and drive the statistics become much more similar between vehicle types; a motorcycle is 30x more dangerous to the rider than that SUV is to its driver - but take out the ones who drank, didn't wear a helmet, didn't wear safety gear, rode recklessly and you've divided that difference by half four times, maybe more! Crazy, right? But a third to half of motorcycle deaths the rider was intoxicated or otherwise not sober. Another half of deaths they weren't wearing a helmet. Another half they weren't wearing other gear. Another half were speeding. Another half weren't licensed, etc. Makes you wonder why smaller cars get into more single-car accidents, right? Well...

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag