ARC Microturbine 8kW generator for emergency battery back up or deep remote use?

Diveflyfish

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 335d
Country flag
Reactions: LCS

countryboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 | Cybertruck FS AWD
Country flag
Great, now I want something else I can't afford!

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Why don't you try driving for 15,000 miles first.

You may just be overwhelmed by range anxiety.

Or, if you have the money to purchase, just get me one and I'll check it out for you.

gc2488

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
software engineer
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
OP
Diveflyfish

Diveflyfish

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 335d
Country flag
Why don't you try driving for 15,000 miles first.

You may just be overwhelmed by range anxiety.

Or, if you have the money to purchase, just get me one and I'll check it out for you.
No range anxiety. Just have a proclivity to find solutions to issues that may or may not exist. Hence my requesting perspective. The CB will be my first BEV. So ignorance is at play. Only concern is thermal effect for winter in Wisconsin etc. but may not be of issue in the slightest. Cheers

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, CT Res x2
Country flag
Interesting find, but there's a lot of "ummm...." here.

Max Vdc is 85, so you would need a beefy boost converter to get it to vehicle voltage. So there's a size / weight / inefficiency hit....

On top of the already abysmal 4.5% thermal efficiency... 3 gal of diesel #2 per hour to make ~6 kWh to go ~15 miles... Something like ~5mpg?

Premixed fuel/oil needed... 50 hour service interval...

So yeah, this is a cute solution but quite impractical vs a generic piston generator, or any of the new opposed piston designs that are on the way.

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

gc2488

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
software engineer
Country flag
You do realize that it is actually a 7500 watt generator? And probably should be derated to 50-80% for long run periods of a few hours.
Yes, great points, I'll edit and clarify... Any other recommendations for good quiet capable generators? I want to compare to the Ramcharger truck when it comes out, now there's a good quiet generator, at least from the specs with the trusty Pentastar engine.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Yes, great points, I'll edit and clarify... Any other recommendations for good quiet capable generators? I want to compare to the Ramcharger truck when it comes out, now there's a good quiet generator, at least from the specs with the trusty Pentastar engine.
For good, quiet, essentially nothing beats the Honda EU series.

But you really need to need one, not just think that you need to get one. I've never needed one with either of my cars and I'm fully electric.

The Honda EU 3000 is 130 lbs dry, which is already beyond most people's ability to lift 3ft into the bed.

Even in Utah, you'd need to want to go really deep into the hills before range becomes an issue. On the side roads, once you slow down to 35 mph, your range gets a LOT bigger. 400 miles shouldn't be an issue.

gc2488

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
software engineer
Country flag
For good, quiet, essentially nothing beats the Honda EU series.

But you really need to need one, not just think that you need to get one. I've never needed one with either of my cars and I'm fully electric.

The Honda EU 3000 is 130 lbs dry, which is already beyond most people's ability to lift 3ft into the bed.

Even in Utah, you'd need to want to go really deep into the hills before range becomes an issue. On the side roads, once you slow down to 35 mph, your range gets a LOT bigger. 400 miles shouldn't be an issue.
Honda certainly has set a good standard, no doubt! But then, Multiquip Whisperwatt generators are also nice and quiet and even more capable. It's great to see alternative quiet generator products undercutting Honda's prices by a very good amount. The more choices, the better.

I'm really interested to see if the Ramcharger's Pentastar engine can really generate 130 kW as announced, and to hear its noise output.

gc2488

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
software engineer
Country flag
Yes, deep into the mountains, or perhaps deep into the Canyonlands Maze District! A favorite of my ham radio buddies. Ever been to The Maze? The park service intro is pretty funny:
https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/mazeroads.htm

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

gc2488

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
software engineer
Country flag
Seems to be a Supercharger at Moab. 30 miles from the park headquarters. Doesn't seem to be a problem at all.
I love how the Green and Colorado rivers divide Canyonlands National Park into 3 sections, with the Maze District being the most remote. Here's one description of the remoteness of the Maze District. The Hans Flat Ranger Station is not even in the Maze proper. There are no paved roads and no buildings in the Maze District, and no cell phone coverage. The Starlink antenna on our Jeep is useful there, for sure, and it will be a natural fit for Cybertruck, mounted in a stake pocket perhaps!

https://backcountrypost.com/threads/canyonlands-the-maze-spring-2011.45/

Cybertruck Starlink mounting possibility

It may be hard to understand why it could be so difficult to reach. It is after all just 35 or so miles away from Moab, Utah. But to drive between the two points would require not only 8-10+ hours but also a very capable high clearance 4WD vehicle, a skilled driver and a level of self-sufficiency that few weekend warriors possess. A little dramatic? Maybe. I thought so before I went there, before my Tacoma had gotten some 'character' from rock crawling through Teapot Canyon. But once you're out there, it makes a lot more sense.

Other descriptions like:
https://news.yahoo.com/tourist-colorado-found-dead-remote-194643075.html

Tesla Cybertruck ARC Microturbine 8kW generator for emergency battery back up or deep remote use? Starlink_antenna_on_Jee

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I love how the Green and Colorado rivers divide Canyonlands National Park into 3 sections, with the Maze District being the most remote. Here's one description of the remoteness of the Maze District. The Hans Flat Ranger Station is not even in the Maze proper. There are no paved roads and no buildings in the Maze District, and no cell phone coverage. The Starlink antenna on our Jeep is useful there, for sure, and it will be a natural fit for Cybertruck, mounted in a stake pocket perhaps!

https://backcountrypost.com/threads/canyonlands-the-maze-spring-2011.45/

Cybertruck Starlink mounting possibility

It may be hard to understand why it could be so difficult to reach. It is after all just 35 or so miles away from Moab, Utah. But to drive between the two points would require not only 8-10+ hours but also a very capable high clearance 4WD vehicle, a skilled driver and a level of self-sufficiency that few weekend warriors possess. A little dramatic?
So over a 12-month period, how many ICE F-150/Silverado 1500/RAM 1500 super-crew full-size 6ft or longer bed type pickups would make that trip?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

It may be hard to understand why it could be so difficult to reach. It is after all just 35 or so miles away from Moab, Utah. But to drive between the two points would require not only 8-10+ hours but also a very capable high clearance 4WD vehicle, a skilled driver and a level of self-sufficiency that few weekend warriors possess. A little dramatic? Maybe. I thought so before I went there, before my Tacoma had gotten some 'character' from rock crawling through Teapot Canyon. But once you're out there, it makes a lot more sense.
I have no problem understanding that it may be remote, but I'm not readily seeing how you access it or even where it is. The NPS site and video seemed to purposefully leave it out.
You seem to be assuming that the Cybertruck can't do it without augmentation, I'm trying to see if it is needed. Just because it is an 8 hour trip doesn't mean that the truck can't make it.

This is often where EVs can shine, going slower.
Sponsored