CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Has anyone been following this battery technology? I find it fascinating that its capacity increases significantly from charging and discharging. It starts at 300Wh/kg and goes up to over 1,800Wh/kg. The data starts to disperse at that point, but it would be amazing to see a chart like this over its claimed 23,000 cycle life.

A 50kg battery would give you 90kWh, and if you get 300 miles from that, you have a 7 million mile battery. Instead of replacing battery packs inside cars, you would replace cars around a battery back.

I'd think I would still rather have the 500kg battery and a 3,000 mile range.

They have a lot of technical hurdles to jump before they can mass produce this battery, but if they can, it would end big oil.

Tesla Cybertruck Braga/Goodenough glass battery 1598466288492
Sponsored

Deleted member 3884

I’m still learning about battery technology, and I don’t fully understand where battery technology is going. I hope that charges produce long ranges. Several million mile batteries, that can be charged for many years is very appealing to me. If I can buy a Cybertruck that last 12 to 15 years, I’d be really happy.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I’m still learning about battery technology, and I don’t fully understand where battery technology is going. I hope that charges produce long ranges. Several million mile batteries, that can be charged for many years is very appealing to me. If I can buy a Cybertruck that last 12 to 15 years, I’d be really happy.
12-15 years is a short life. i want my Cybertruck to last 50 years minimum

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Nanosctructures and controlling unwanted reactions (dendrite formation) is where most of the focus seems to be, from my totally non-expert point of view.

Given some of the G-shock that offroading can have, I am curious how a battery that can damage itself from swelling will handle a hard bounce off a rock or a drop when jumping dunes?

Yes, I understand these are not exactly the same, but still, I hope they are doing lots of testing at Tesla...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Given some of the G-shock that offroading can have, I am curious how a battery that can damage itself from swelling will handle a hard bounce off a rock or a drop when jumping dunes?
The swelling is from dendrite formation, foams being created as the materials change ionic composition.

Shocks actually reduced the crystal formation in early lithium batteries: They functioned better if you slammed them against the ground once in awhile.

Anyhow, as long as they're not dented, they generally don't care. It's the rest of your electronics that can sheer or vibrate loose during physical shocks.

-Crissa