Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt
Occupation
VP of Operations
Country flag
Currently, I am unable to fit my wife’s small SUV into our garage. I have a Chevy Volt and we keep all 3 vehicles outside of our garage due to its limited size. I simply pull the charger for the Volt outside to plug it in when I arrive home.
What should I be concerned about if I kept The Cyber Truck outside? Damage to windows/body? Diminished battery life?
I live In TN, so temperature is mild year round.
Any suggestions or words of wisdom are appreciated.
Sponsored

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
The stainless steel will weather however not like paint. Do not know about the windows yet with different glass being used but I would think it would be ok. Batteries should be fine. I will have my CT outside all day in temperatures from +35C to -45C. However the CT will get tucked into a garage at night when I am home.

XB12R

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 2 Motor, 2010 Suburban, 2014 Honda CTX1300, 2007 Buell XB12R
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Mine will live outside in sunny SW FL, no room in the 2 car garage for it. Bar, workbenches, motorcycles and my wifes Z4 have the space maxed out. Except for the dash, my Surburban has held up OK. Exposed rubber bits are looking aged a bit too, but I try to keep them coated.
I'll have to get condo approval (that's going to be a PIA) to add the charger on the outside wall with the main electrical service to my unit. From the main box it'll be a 35' run to the trucks parking space from there, so either going down a gauge of wire size from the charger, or moving the charger next to a hot tub and through a concrete wall twice with conduit runs, I can get away with a 5' charger cable... Any ideas on weatherproof chargers?
Or; charger inside the garage next to the units main breaker box (where I want to put the future PowerWalls) and notch the bottom of the garage door and I'll still need a 35' charger cable.
Details to work out in the next couple years.
Not concerned if the CT gets a patina to the SS, it's a truck and I might wash it once in a while. Being 3 miles from the beach outside SS still gets funky; BBQ's only last three years here even under a cover. Glass will get the Florida tint including the windshield and roof on day one.

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
Normal use will expose CT even more elements wouldn’t it?? Will this beast even fit in traditional car wash to say, wash off road salt?

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I am not sure if all car washes are equal size. Where I live this is a non issue. There are a lot of big trucks here and they fit in all the car washes I have ever been in.

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
I am not sure if all car washes are equal size. Where I live this is a non issue. There are a lot of big trucks here and they fit in all the car washes I have ever been in.
Good point

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
I don't get it, most trucks that have ever existed have been parked outside. Garages, except for the extremely wealthy, are a relatively new thing as general use and in much of the US are not actually used for vehicles. Meaning vehicles parked inside is a new construct. My F350 has never seen the inside of a garage. The Cybertruck most certainly does not need to be inside. The only real consideration is charging speed in extreme winters. Here in Montana my Moded 3 charges normally in the winter in the garage, not so outside when the temperature is below zero F. But I'm charging on a 120 v circuit, so there's that........

OP
OP
TennesseeCyber

TennesseeCyber

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt
Occupation
VP of Operations
Country flag
I don't get it, most trucks that have ever existed have been parked outside. Garages, except for the extremely wealthy, are a relatively new thing as general use and in much of the US are not actually used for vehicles. Meaning vehicles parked inside is a new construct. My F350 has never seen the inside of a garage. The Cybertruck most certainly does not need to be inside. The only real consideration is charging speed in extreme winters. Here in Montana my Moded 3 charges normally in the winter in the garage, not so outside when the temperature is below zero F. But I'm charging on a 120 v circuit, so there's that........
Well, I’m only asking because it seems that Tesla vehicles are typically well kept and treated better than children in the home. I’m just not in a place where I want to build an extra garage just to protect this investment. I should also add the context that the CT would be my first brand new vehicle ever purchased. I’ve always bought used, paid cash, etc. I’ve just never been so impressed with a vehicle that I would want to purchase new... until the CT came along.
I appreciate your attitude about it. I didn’t know if most planned to build special garage space or add on space just to house this monster.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Fine to be outside. Any vehicle should be protected against extreme conditions. Extreme conditions will also make accessing the vehicle unpleasant if not protected.

Remote accessing the climate control can make the cabin more pleasant upon entry at the expense of energy.

XB12R

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 2 Motor, 2010 Suburban, 2014 Honda CTX1300, 2007 Buell XB12R
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Normal use will expose CT even more elements wouldn’t it?? Will this beast even fit in traditional car wash to say, wash off road salt?
Suburbans fit in regular car washes and they're the same size as the CT. Might have to check the track width.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I live "next" to the Atlantic Fooking ocean. Right now because the AC is not running and the windows are open I can tell you the seas are probably 2ft because I hear a steady static from that direction.
I have had 3 new cars kept outside for the last 32 years.
A 1988 Mitsubishi colt which I used and took to my Ocean Lifeguard job so it got it about as much "Salt spray" as any car could. After 10 years it had a light sheen of rust forming inside the top roof panel of the hatchback when I traded it in for a
1998 Nissan pick-up which never went inside, and 11 years later had rust only where I scratched the paint off of it from misjudging my ability to lift a sofa over the edge, and even then the scratch had been there for 8 years, and I never washed the truck more than once a year. it was white...nothing cosmetic even.
2008 Dodge Pick-up Still driving, no rust at all. It's sitting in the driveway. I did spray in Linex as soon as I bought it, but just because I did not like anything about any pop-in bedliner.
So what the hell? How far apart can two minds be? I'd never even answer a poll about, "Can a CT be realistically kept outside?"

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
I live "next" to the Atlantic Fooking ocean. Right now because the AC is not running and the windows are open I can tell you the seas are probably 2ft because I hear a steady static from that direction.
I have had 3 new cars kept outside for the last 32 years.
A 1988 Mitsubishi colt which I used and took to my Ocean Lifeguard job so it got it about as much "Salt spray" as any car could. After 10 years it had a light sheen of rust forming inside the top roof panel of the hatchback when I traded it in for a
1998 Nissan pick-up which never went inside, and 11 years later had rust only where I scratched the paint off of it from misjudging my ability to lift a sofa over the edge, and even then the scratch had been there for 8 years, and I never washed the truck more than once a year. it was white...nothing cosmetic even.
2008 Dodge Pick-up Still driving, no rust at all. It's sitting in the driveway. I did spray in Linex as soon as I bought it, but just because I did not like anything about any pop-in bedliner.
So what the hell? How far apart can two minds be? I'd never even answer a poll about, "Can a CT be realistically kept outside?"
You are lucky with your Dodge. Almost all around here have wheel well rot. Even ones 3or4 years old.
Not to start anything negative, but you did answer the poll with your opinion and reply.
Tesla Cybertruck Can a CT be realistically kept outside? 776A82B4-4A9B-49E7-BF2A-BD7F2349DF73

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You are lucky with your Dodge. Almost all around here have wheel well rot. Even ones 3or4 years old.
Not to start anything negative, but you did answer the poll with your opinion and reply.
776A82B4-4A9B-49E7-BF2A-BD7F2349DF73.gif
Yep. I did not expect the Mitsubishi or the Dodge to hold up as well as both of them have.

Dan Truax

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No Tesla Yet
Country flag
Yeah I wonder the same, its 21F here now, my rusty road salt encrushed 2006 160K mile Toyota Tacoma lives outside, while the diesel tractor (Required to move the 8 foot snowbanks we get) lives inside the garage with the wifes 2017 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid.

The CT is too long for my garage, and even if I pulled it in I would not be able to get the doors open.
The Rav4 you can barely get the doors open in the garage.

So will an EV charge in 0F weather on the 220/240V charger?
Will the inverter and charge controller heat the battery up enough to charge it outside day after day sub 32F?
Sponsored

Last edited: