Camper Van Someren

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS, 2015 Sienna AWD, 2002 Ranger
Country flag
How long would it take to charge on a supercharger vs 240V setup vs standard 120V plug? Maybe easiest to talk in terms of miles of driving per hour of charge time because of the different capacities of battery available.

I ordered a 2-motor but now I’m wondering if I might need to upgrade to the higher range battery based on some quick-turnaround trips where I might not be able to fully recharge. I’m not a Tesla person so I need some explanation.
Sponsored

Revelation

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Res: Rivian R1T, Res: Tesla Cybertruck Tri-Motor + FSD
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
120v will typically be at about 5-7 MPH. A 240v setup will depend on breaker, wire and receptacle used. I would venture to say that the Cybertruck will have at least a 11-12kW charger onboard, it may even have two like some previous S and X models.

Using a 240v option will vary between 22-44 MPH, again depending on the aforementioned options. If it has two chargers onboard you could potentially get a faster charge rate.

Supercharger is another story. v2 will most likely be in the 500 MPH charge rate and v3 will be around 1000 MPH. Elon did mention something interesting in the reveal where it sounded like there may be an even faster charging option for Superchargers coming.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I have been wondering about charging too. I will need to ensure I have the best setup for charging I can get at 240v so I can get closer to the 44 mph charge speed. The closest supercharger to me is 4 hours drive away.

Joelm

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo, Tesla M3, Cybertruck
Occupation
Self employeed
Country flag
You can get a DCFC 25kw Charger(200 amp) for about 10k and will add roughly 124 miles per 30 minutes. But in real world the Tesla Charger with 100a feed will be more than enough. Plus we don’t know what Tesla will do to the truck and what chargers they could have put by then.

Jon Snow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS85D
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I have the ability to charge at 80 amps .. about 60 miles and hour .. and never, ever, use it at that power level. 30-40 is fine and I drive 50,000 km a year.

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 and soon Cybertruck
Occupation
CEO
Country flag
My model 3 charges around 44 MPH per hour at home. So that means I'll have to charge more than 10 hours for the 500+ range model.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You can get a DCFC 25kw Charger(200 amp) for about 10k and will add roughly 124 miles per 30 minutes.
And if you are in an industrial setting where there is 3 phase power you will be able to hook it up to the mains. At home, in North America you are pretty much limited to 240 V bi-phase.

The current crop of Tesla models has two 240 V 24 Ampere charger modules each capable of handling 5.76 kW so the most charging available is twice this or 11.52 kW. The cars require 250 - 350 Wh/mi so the fastest you can charge them is 33 - 46 miles per hour provided the EVSE is wired to 60 Amp service i.e. a 240 V circuit with a 60 A breaker. For the current models with ranges of less than 400 miles that's plenty as one can pick up 330 - 460 miles of charge in a 10 hour overnight charging session. The tri motor CT is going to have 500 mi range and probably draw more like 400 - 500 Wh/mi meaning charging rates reduced to 23 - 29 miles per hour or 230 - 290 miles in a 10 hour session. The charger units in the pre 2019 X's had 3 rectifiers each capable of 24 A and given the above Tesla might return to that design in the CT increasing the 10 hour charging range to 34.5 - 43.5 miles per hour implying 345 to 435 miles added in 10 hours. Such a charger would draw 72 A from the mains and require a 90A breaker.

Devix

First Name
Fabrizio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag
Usually charge happens overnight so at home you don't need much power.
My advice is to think in kW and not in miles charged. Miles are not reliable, they depend on how and where you drive.
I always used % battery indicator in my Model S instead of distance. Nav will tell you if you need to charge or not.
Anyway, even with AC monophase current, you can reach 7,4kW which is not bad.
But everything depends on your use.
I have the Tesla Wall Connector at home and it works quite well. It can go from 1kW to 22kW depending on your setup. But keep in mind that Model 3 can charge up to 11kW in AC.
Completely another story in DC (fast chargers). Now 250kW is the maximum speed for Model 3.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
In Italy I believe you have 3 ø power available in homes so things are a little different. In the US we have bi-phase and the maximum available from the HPWC at 240 V is 240*80/1000 = 19.2 kW. Some old Model S will take that. "Fast Charging Option" Model X can only take 240*72/1000 = 17.28 kW.

I do enthusiastically agree that monitoring battery status in percent is much better way to do things than miles. Set your battery display in percent and use it as you would the fuel gauge in an ICE vehicle. This really works well in the cars with 100 kWh batteries as 1 % is 1 kWh. Chrarging at 11.52 kW for 1 hour adds 11.52 kWh which is 11.5% of the battery capacity. Should the CT turn out to have a 200 kWh battery things will be almost as easy as 11.5 kWh is 5.7%. But the driver will also want to know how many miles he can go on one percent. For the CT that is going to be about 2.5 miles.

Devix

First Name
Fabrizio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Country flag
In Italy I believe you have 3 ø power available in homes so things are a little different. In the US we have bi-phase and the maximum available from the HPWC at 240 V is 240*80/1000 = 19.2 kW. Some old Model S will take that. "Fast Charging Option" Model X can only take 240*72/1000 = 17.28 kW.

I do enthusiastically agree that monitoring battery status in percent is much better way to do things than miles. Set your battery display in percent and use it as you would the fuel gauge in an ICE vehicle. This really works well in the cars with 100 kWh batteries as 1 % is 1 kWh. Chrarging at 11.52 kW for 1 hour adds 11.52 kWh which is 11.5% of the battery capacity. Should the CT turn out to have a 200 kWh battery things will be almost as easy as 11.5 kWh is 5.7%. But the driver will also want to know how many miles he can go on one percent. For the CT that is going to be about 2.5 miles.
We can have 3 phase but it's very uncommon. I have 6kW mono-phase and it worked good for me.
I had 2 Model S 85 and using % is just a question of time to be accustomed to (maybe a couple of weeks).
Even if you know where you are going, set the nav. This is the best tool to know the state of the battery at destination.

Revelation

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Res: Rivian R1T, Res: Tesla Cybertruck Tri-Motor + FSD
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
My model 3 charges around 44 MPH per hour at home. So that means I'll have to charge more than 10 hours for the 500+ range model.
How often are you going to drive 500 miles round trip everyday where you need to fully charge it everyday........................................

For instance, a 90 mile round trip with spirited driving and starting at 90% SoC will usually get me home at around 52% SoC. I only need to charge from 52-90 for my drive the next day. I do not need to fully charge the car, ever, for my commutes.

bcexperts

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
HD F150, HD Wideglide
Occupation
sales
Country flag
I have a "super" off-peak rate in the winter months with APS (Arizona Public Service) from 10am-3pm. Is it possible to have multiple charging sessions in a 24 hour period that can be programmed in a Tesla vehicle?

Devix

First Name
Fabrizio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a "super" off-peak rate in the winter months with APS (Arizona Public Service) from 10am-3pm. Is it possible to have multiple charging sessions in a 24 hour period that can be programmed in a Tesla vehicle?
Yes, you can do it
Sponsored