Chart: Which countries have the most electric cars?

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
2y6W3W-_n61ktGnP_Bdsjq5IoxjrgGCsAL2DEWItp9c.jpg

Almost 75% of Norway's new passenger car sales in 2020 were plug-in electric.
Image: Unsplash/Andrew Roberts

• Electric vehicles accounted for 4.2% of light vehicle sales in 2020, almost double 2019's 2.5%.
  • Norway, Iceland and Sweden are leading the charge, with plug-in electric vehicles accounting for 74.8%, 45% and 32.2% respectively in 2020.
  • Various policies have incentivised electric vehicle uptake in Norway - but might not translate well to other countries.
Despite difficult circumstances and the pandemic's negative impact on the the automotive industry, electric vehicles made a giant leap forward in many countries in 2020. According to estimates from industry tracker EV-Volumes, plug-in electric vehicles accounted for 4.2 percent of global light vehicle sales last year, up from 2.5 percent in 2019.

While just eight countries reported an EV share of 5 percent or higher in 2019, 13 countries managed to push electric vehicles past 10 percent of new light vehicle sales in 2020. Like in prior years, Norway was a positive outlier with a 75-percent share of plug-in electric vehicles, while Iceland, Sweden and Finland also featured in the top 5 – a testament to the quick adoption of electric cars in Nordic countries.

China, which is by far the largest market for electric cars in terms of unit sales, fell out of the top 10 with electric vehicles accounting for 6.2 percent of passenger car sales in the country. Meanwhile the United States fell further behind with an EV share of just 2.3 percent.

While Norway’s policy measures (e.g. tax exemptions, toll exemptions and other incentives) did prove highly effective in promoting electric cars, the Norwegian model cannot be easily transferred to other countries. First and foremost, the country imposes hefty vehicle import duties and car registration taxes, making cars significantly more expensive than say in the United States.

By waiving these duties for electric vehicles, Norway is effectively subsidizing EV purchases at a level that a larger country such as the U.S. couldn’t afford. Secondly, Norway is a very wealthy country (ironically thanks to its oil reserves) with a high level of income. According to Norway's national statistical institute, the country’s median household income after taxes was around $54,000 in 2018, which is roughly level with the United States but more than twice as high as the EU average.
Thk5pJ1i2xEYBsOEMnlkzd153WRwC8HeQ1BDGn1gHko.jpg

Norway is leading the charge.
Image: Statista

SOURCE: WEFORUM
Sponsored

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
2y6W3W-_n61ktGnP_Bdsjq5IoxjrgGCsAL2DEWItp9c.jpg

Almost 75% of Norway's new passenger car sales in 2020 were plug-in electric.
Image: Unsplash/Andrew Roberts

• Electric vehicles accounted for 4.2% of light vehicle sales in 2020, almost double 2019's 2.5%.
  • Norway, Iceland and Sweden are leading the charge, with plug-in electric vehicles accounting for 74.8%, 45% and 32.2% respectively in 2020.
  • Various policies have incentivised electric vehicle uptake in Norway - but might not translate well to other countries.
Despite difficult circumstances and the pandemic's negative impact on the the automotive industry, electric vehicles made a giant leap forward in many countries in 2020. According to estimates from industry tracker EV-Volumes, plug-in electric vehicles accounted for 4.2 percent of global light vehicle sales last year, up from 2.5 percent in 2019.

While just eight countries reported an EV share of 5 percent or higher in 2019, 13 countries managed to push electric vehicles past 10 percent of new light vehicle sales in 2020. Like in prior years, Norway was a positive outlier with a 75-percent share of plug-in electric vehicles, while Iceland, Sweden and Finland also featured in the top 5 – a testament to the quick adoption of electric cars in Nordic countries.

China, which is by far the largest market for electric cars in terms of unit sales, fell out of the top 10 with electric vehicles accounting for 6.2 percent of passenger car sales in the country. Meanwhile the United States fell further behind with an EV share of just 2.3 percent.

While Norway’s policy measures (e.g. tax exemptions, toll exemptions and other incentives) did prove highly effective in promoting electric cars, the Norwegian model cannot be easily transferred to other countries. First and foremost, the country imposes hefty vehicle import duties and car registration taxes, making cars significantly more expensive than say in the United States.

By waiving these duties for electric vehicles, Norway is effectively subsidizing EV purchases at a level that a larger country such as the U.S. couldn’t afford. Secondly, Norway is a very wealthy country (ironically thanks to its oil reserves) with a high level of income. According to Norway's national statistical institute, the country’s median household income after taxes was around $54,000 in 2018, which is roughly level with the United States but more than twice as high as the EU average.
Thk5pJ1i2xEYBsOEMnlkzd153WRwC8HeQ1BDGn1gHko.jpg

Norway is leading the charge.
Image: Statista

SOURCE: WEFORUM
??♥ ?(+??)

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
This should be a no brainer. gas is expensive and electricity is cheap in Norway
According to the chart the USA has more electric cars than the total population of Norway. So which country has the most electric cars? It isn't Norway.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
According to the chart the USA has more electric cars than the total population of Norway. So which country has the most electric cars? It isn't Norway.
It’s China by far in absolute numbers. It says so in the article as well. The chart however is for biggest EV share of new cars sold. It’s supposed to say something about sentiment/predilection and incentives/policy in the society, not within which borders produced EVs are going. And China still by far prefers ICE.

As the article says the strength of incentives in Norway is hard to copy though as we have had insane taxes on ICE since “forever” (40% at times, now about 30% I guess), which were dropped entirely on full-on EVs. Free parking, free public slow-charging, free tolls, allowed to drive in bus/taxi lane, is copyable though. These I expect to disappear when there’s more of EVs than ICE.

The government has a stated goal of no new ICEs sold from 2025 (with some exceptions I guess). I suspect that’s when the free ride for EVs is over too. The CT needs to hurry up!

Last edited:

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 9.40.58 AM.png

Electric Vehicle Share in the US Reaches Record Levels in 2020, According to IHS Markit

February 19, 2021 02:28 PM Eastern Standard Time

SOUTHFIELD, Mich.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electric vehicle (EV) registrations in the US in 2020 reached record market share of 1.8%, demonstrating increased consumer interest for electric vehicles, according to new analysis from IHS Markit (NYSE: INFO), a world leader in information, analytics and solutions. December 2020 also represented the highest monthly share for EV new registrations, at 2.5% of the industry – a record monthly level since IHS Markit began tracking new vehicle registration data by fuel type. For the purposes of this analysis, EVs reflect those vehicles only powered by electricity and no other power source.
“Consumer acceptance of electric vehicles is increasing, though at a modest pace, and now is at record levels. We continue to see significant contrasts in EV adoption across different regions of the country, led by the two coasts.”
While overall registration volumes were down across the industry for the year due to COVID-19 impacts, the fact that EVs experienced such increased share indicates rising consumer acceptance of EVs. In fact, from a retail perspective, EVs accounted for 2.8% of new vehicle registrations in December, according to the analysis, more than tripling EV retail share three years ago. This rising EV acceptance coincides with recent OEM announcements of substantial investments in electrification.

Further development of EV share in the US in 2021 is nearly guaranteed. IHS Markit forecasts EV sales in 2021 will surpass 3.5% nationally, and continue to increase to more than 10% in 2025. Across the automotive spectrum, a wave of new EV products and brands all point to support EV trends in 2021 and beyond. With more than 100 new EV options expected between 2021 and 2025, a continued increase in consumer acceptance and demand will grow as ICE options are displaced by EVs.

Tom Libby, IHS Markit Associate Director of Industry Analysis, has been following fuel type market share for several years and noted, “Consumer acceptance of electric vehicles is increasing, though at a modest pace, and now is at record levels. We continue to see significant contrasts in EV adoption across different regions of the country, led by the two coasts.”

From a regional perspective, EV market share is highest in the Western Region, where 4.8% of all new vehicles registered are electric vehicles. The San Francisco DMA’s EV share of 11% far exceeds that of any other major DMA in the Western Region.

EV market share is 1.6% in the Northeast, the second highest region on this metric, and the New York City DMA’s share of 2% is driving the Northeast. In the Southeast, just 1.1% of 2020 new vehicle registrations were electric vehicles, and the Washington, D.C., DMA is leading the way at 2.5% during the same time period.

The Southwest Region EV share was just .9% in 2020, while Austin was the top DMA with a 2.1% EV market share. Lastly, the Midwest region had the smallest EV market share in 2020 at just .8%. Predictably, Chicago led all other Midwest DMAs with a 1.5% EV market share.

Loyalty to EVs Expected to Continue to Grow
EV owners are returning to market for another EV at record levels as well, and this is expected to continue, according to IHS Markit. More than half of EV households that return to market acquire another EV, up substantially from prior years.

“Record high EV loyalty rates imply consumer acceptance for the entire electric vehicle concept,” Libby said.

IHS Markit has been tracking automotive loyalty for 25 years and is relied upon by major automakers and their marketing partners to effectively manage owner loyalty and conquest efforts through in-depth research and analysis of automotive shopping behaviors, related market influencers and conquest and retention strategies.

About IHS Markit (www.ihsmarkit.com)
IHS Markit (NYSE: INFO) is a world leader in critical information, analytics and solutions for the major industries and markets that drive economies worldwide. The company delivers next-generation information, analytics and solutions to customers in business, finance and government, improving their operational efficiency and providing deep insights that lead to well-informed, confident decisions. IHS Markit has more than 50,000 business and government customers, including 80 percent of the Fortune Global 500 and the world’s leading financial institutions. Headquartered in London, IHS Markit is committed to sustainable, profitable growth.

Automotive offerings and expertise at IHS Markit span every major market and the entire automotive value chain—from product planning to marketing, sales and the aftermarket. For additional information, please visit www.ihsmarkit.com/automotive or email [email protected].

IHS Markit is a registered trademark of IHS Markit Ltd. and/or its affiliates. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners © 2021 IHS Markit Ltd. All rights reserved.

Contacts
Michelle Culver
IHS Markit
+1 248 728 7496
[email protected]
Press Team
IHS Markit
[email protected]

SOURCE: businesswire

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
It’s China by far in absolute numbers. It says so in the article as well. The chart however is for biggest EV share of new cars sold. It’s supposed to say something about sentiment/predilection and incentives/policy in the society, not within which borders produced EVs are going. And China still by far prefers ICE.

As the article says the strength of incentives in Norway is hard to copy though as we have had insane taxes on ICE since “forever” (40% at times, now about 30% I guess), which were dropped entirely on full-on EVs. Free parking, free public slow-charging, free tolls, allowed to drive in bus/taxi lane, is copyable though. These I expect to disappear when there’s more of EVs than ICE.

The government has a stated goal of no new ICEs sold from 2025 (with some exceptions I guess). I suspect that’s when the free ride for EVs is over too. The CT needs to hurry up!
China 5.3 million cars bought in 2020. ~314,000 of those are ev. Norway had 20,000 ~ 14,000 were ev.
I think the Chinese are greener than Norway. C'mon Norway 300,000 Chinese are greener than 6,000 of your guys. ?

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
China 5.3 million cars bought in 2020. ~314,000 of those are ev. Norway had 20,000 ~ 14,000 were ev.
I think the Chinese are greener than Norway. C'mon Norway 300,000 Chinese are greener than 6,000 of your guys. ?
I don’t know where you get your numbers (76,789 EVs (excluding hybrids) were sold here in 2020) or why it’s so threatening and enraging that Norway likes EVs. Especially odd on a EV forum and when Norway most prefers American EVs (Teslas). But, yes the numbers say Norwegians buy much more EVs than ICE, and much more EVs than any comparable state in ‘Murica.

I’m rooting for your population getting with the EV trend of the rest of the western world, as that will only mean you will keep improving and adding to your EVs which we consider the best. I thought we would be pretty aligned on that on this forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla Makes Q1's First Norway Delivery of Model 3 at Port of Drammen
by Eva Fox February 20, 2021

Norway Tesla

1_701162bd-801f-4e30-8183-fe231d2e89a8_1600x.jpg

Tesla continues to ramp up shipments around the world. Looks like the first delivery in Norway of Model 3 for Q1 2021 arrived at the port of Drammen.

In an effort to quickly and widely spread EVs, Tesla is in a hurry to deliver its ordered cars. The first shipment for this quarter to Norway arrived at the port of Drammen. Tesla vehicles were delivered by the ship 'Autopremier' on February 19. @mortenlund89/Twitter shared this information and provided a photo from security cameras at the port. In the photo, we can see at least 30 Model 3s, although the parking lot is only partially visible to us, and it remains unknown how many vehicles actually arrived.

In December, Tesla Model 3 shone again in the Norwegian market, selling the largest number of units of all EVs. Tesla registered 4,232 units, the highest in 2020, and the second in the history of the manufacturer's presence in the country's market. Tesla recorded 8,751 sales in Norway for the entire past year.

Norway continues to lead the way in the transition to clean transport. The recent growth in electric vehicle sales in Norway is partly the result of government efforts to restrict the sale of gasoline and diesel vehicles. The country plans to move to clean energy by 2030 and strongly supports sustainable transport. The authorities intend to further increase taxes for owners of cars with internal combustion engines, as well as restrict their entry to a number of streets. Their broader goal is to ban the sale of new vehicles with internal combustion engines from 2025. It seems that Tesla is one of the top customer choices in Norway.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
7da52bffe06e1f645c08299841a4a343?s=160&r=G.png

EVA FOX
I'm a big fan of Tesla, as I worry about the future for my child and for future generations. Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy and I'm passionately striving for this goal. I’m tired of the daily deception from Tesla’s haters against the company, so I strive to spread true information and the latest news about Tesla.

SOURCE: TESMANIAN

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Tesla Makes Q1's First Norway Delivery of Model 3 at Port of Drammen
by Eva Fox February 20, 2021

Norway Tesla

1_701162bd-801f-4e30-8183-fe231d2e89a8_1600x.jpg

Tesla continues to ramp up shipments around the world. Looks like the first delivery in Norway of Model 3 for Q1 2021 arrived at the port of Drammen.

In an effort to quickly and widely spread EVs, Tesla is in a hurry to deliver its ordered cars. The first shipment for this quarter to Norway arrived at the port of Drammen. Tesla vehicles were delivered by the ship 'Autopremier' on February 19. @mortenlund89/Twitter shared this information and provided a photo from security cameras at the port. In the photo, we can see at least 30 Model 3s, although the parking lot is only partially visible to us, and it remains unknown how many vehicles actually arrived.

In December, Tesla Model 3 shone again in the Norwegian market, selling the largest number of units of all EVs. Tesla registered 4,232 units, the highest in 2020, and the second in the history of the manufacturer's presence in the country's market. Tesla recorded 8,751 sales in Norway for the entire past year.

Norway continues to lead the way in the transition to clean transport. The recent growth in electric vehicle sales in Norway is partly the result of government efforts to restrict the sale of gasoline and diesel vehicles. The country plans to move to clean energy by 2030 and strongly supports sustainable transport. The authorities intend to further increase taxes for owners of cars with internal combustion engines, as well as restrict their entry to a number of streets. Their broader goal is to ban the sale of new vehicles with internal combustion engines from 2025. It seems that Tesla is one of the top customer choices in Norway.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
7da52bffe06e1f645c08299841a4a343?s=160&r=G.png

EVA FOX
I'm a big fan of Tesla, as I worry about the future for my child and for future generations. Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy and I'm passionately striving for this goal. I’m tired of the daily deception from Tesla’s haters against the company, so I strive to spread true information and the latest news about Tesla.

SOURCE: TESMANIAN
This is my hometown and where I worked as a (golden) car retriever all day on the ships. Not any Teslas back then unfortunately, or fortunately perhaps as I would be out of work if the cars could just be summoned off?

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Iceland is a little bit of a surprise to me. When I visited a few years ago they had amazing infrastructure with L3 chargers well spaced out along the main highways in places that were easy to find and very visible, and parking garages offering outlets for L2 if no pernmanent L2 was installed, but you were far more likely to encounter diesel powered manual shift vehicles, or automatics with start/stop engines that made getting going from a stop a bit of a let down when coming from driving an electric at home.

...but given the infrastructure, and the general "green" attitude of many of the people there, it seems natural that a large percentage would have moved to EV in recent years.
I do imagine CyberTrucks will sell really well there. 4x4s are super popular and for the tourism industry there, monster sized 4x4 trucks are not at all uncommon. Cybertruck would look tiny next to some of the glacier trucks.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I don’t know where you get your numbers (76,789 EVs (excluding hybrids) were sold here in 2020) or why it’s so threatening and enraging that Norway likes EVs. Especially odd on a EV forum and when Norway most prefers American EVs (Teslas). But, yes the numbers say Norwegians buy much more EVs than ICE, and much more EVs than any comparable state in ‘Murica.

I’m rooting for your population getting with the EV trend of the rest of the western world, as that will only mean you will keep improving and adding to your EVs which we consider the best. I thought we would be pretty aligned on that on this forum.
I'm just messing with you. I'm actually very glad Norway is liking EV!

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I do imagine CyberTrucks will sell really well there. 4x4s are super popular and for the tourism industry there, monster sized 4x4 trucks are not at all uncommon. Cybertruck would look tiny next to some of the glacier trucks.
https://arctictrucks.com/home-2/

Arctic Trucks used to be exclusively Toyotas years ago but they have expanded since.

They will have a Cybertruck, they have to!

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 10.17.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 10.15.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 10.13.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 10.12.29 PM.png

at-6x6-23.jpg

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Iceland makes sense. They have loads of electricity, while fossil fuels are expensive and have to be imported.

-Crissa
Sponsored