Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3 MY. Cybertruck on order
Occupation
Dr
Country flag
Good Motortrend article about the naysayers out there who say EVs are worse for the environment than ICE vehicles.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/truth-about-electric-cars-ad-why-you-are-being-lied-to/amp/
What if, and bear with me now, what if Elon was so committed to a carbon neutral future that he decided that trying to be a better friend to Republicans was the next best move? It would explain a lot of his recent behavior. I mean, he already has a committed democratic base of science believers. How do you get the other ignorant base involved and engaged?
I watched him speak during the semi event, and it still seems like a deep core belief Elon holds that electrification of the fleet is a necessity part of saving the planet. Is it possible that his recent move to the right is a calculated action to promote climate change, or to at least sell more republicans Teslas? Because, as you know, once you drive one, all your friends will want one too.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Being in the middle is the right for those on the far left

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
How do you get the other ignorant base involved and engaged?
First thing would be to not call them ignorant. The second thing is to be open-minded and listen to other opinions. Yes, it would be a lot easier to get other people to listen and accept information from a person that at least acts like minded to them.
I personally, feel and hope to be a fairly centrist person. I have a VERY hard time accepting/agreeing with anything on the outer reaches of either side of the political spectrum.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
First thing would be to not call them ignorant. The second thing is to be open-minded and listen to other opinions. Yes, it would be a lot easier to get other people to listen and accept information from a person that at least acts like minded to them.
I personally, feel and hope to be a fairly centrist person. I have a VERY hard time accepting/agreeing with anything on the outer reaches of either side of the political spectrum.
If you don't know anything about ev then you are ignorant about ev. I know it sounds mean but I think he used the right word.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
What if, and bear with me now, what if Elon was so committed to a carbon neutral future that he decided that trying to be a better friend to Republicans was the next best move? It would explain a lot of his recent behavior. I mean, he already has a committed democratic base of science believers. How do you get the other ignorant base involved and engaged?
I watched him speak during the semi event, and it still seems like a deep core belief Elon holds that electrification of the fleet is a necessity part of saving the planet. Is it possible that his recent move to the right is a calculated action to promote climate change, or to at least sell more republicans Teslas? Because, as you know, once you drive one, all your friends will want one too.
I was just telling a coworker the other day this same theory. I even included that I think this comes from Biden administration. Like it makes no sense that Biden administration so studiously ignored Tesla. I can't imagine Buttigieg et.al. being anything other than a Tesla fan yet they acted like enemies while pushing policy that is most beneficial to Tesla. Meanwhile Elon becomes darling of the right and everyone gets EV. It's almost too brilliant if it's not just a conspiracy theory.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The thing is... What is the outer reaches? 🤷‍♀️ Is it the elected officials? Is it people who aren't elected? Have big budgets? Is there an appropriate center between, "they're groomers/murders/satanists" and "they should have equal rights"?

First thing would be to not call them ignorant.
Finding something you're ignorant about isn't shameful, it's an opportunity to learn and experience something new.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Good Motortrend article about the naysayers out there who say EVs are worse for the environment than ICE vehicles.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/truth-about-electric-cars-ad-why-you-are-being-lied-to/amp/
Surely you do not believe what Motot Trend (solidly in the pocket of legacy ICE and petroleum industry) has to say...do you? I can easily find any number of articles by sources I used to trust (stupid me) that tell me that BEVs or Teslas are bad, but owning a Tesla I KNOW that they don't know what they are talking about. The reader does have some responsibility to use their heads, and to ask questions of knowledgable people if that fails.

Ok, I screwed the pooch - again. Instead of reading the article I went by the headline and remembered another MT story that was really negative about EVs, and went off. I could not have been further off. I just read the article and it was very reminiscent of a story that 'Best In Tesla' did about a year ago that really told the story of gas vs. diesel vs Hydrogen vs BEV; it tells the truth and is well done.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Surely you do not believe what Motot Trend (solidly in the pocket of legacy ICE and petroleum industry) has to say...do you? I can easily find any number of articles by sources I used to trust (stupid me) that tell me that BEVs or Teslas are bad, but owning a Tesla I KNOW that they don't know what they are talking about. The reader does have some responsibility to use their heads, and to ask questions of knowledgable people if that fails.
Trust Motor Trend to point out that EVs are better even on coal power? Well, they did just that in that article.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
The thing is... What is the outer reaches? 🤷‍♀️ Is it the elected officials? Is it people who aren't elected? Have big budgets? Is there an appropriate center between, "they're groomers/murders/satanists" and "they should have equal rights"?

Finding something you're ignorant about isn't shameful, it's an opportunity to learn and experience something new.

-Crissa
There are some elected officials whom I would consider closer to the outer reaches than others on their side of the aisle. But being identified as someone on the outer reaches makes it pretty difficult to be elected. It just depends on the people you think you're going to serve as an elected official I guess.
Personally, "they should have equal rights" is closer to the center than the outer reaches. But appropriate center ? hmmm I'll have to think about that.

So I guess it is mostly people who aren't elected that occupy the outer reaches, and that I have the hardest time agreeing with. However, I can't think of anyone elected or not that I agree with ALL the time. It's just like I said, the farther from the center, the less likely I am to accept/agree with them.

Ignorant is a harsh word. There are plenty of things I know very little about that I would look at as an opportunity to learn. However there are lots of things that I have absolutely no desire to experience or learn about. Take for example, I have no interest in Jeffrey Dahmer and his diet. So I guess there are times I prefer to be ignorant. ;)

Last edited:
First Name
Kevin Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
I have always been a believer that we can do better. That we can create cleaner cars and vehicles. But when entering the fray of debate about EV's and the pros and cons, I prefer to flip the script from the outset.

"I don't give a crap whether buying a Tesla saves the whales and the trees and the planet and some endangered species of mosquito. The Tesla is a better car. It costs less to fuel, accelerates much faster, is safer, is MUCH less likely to burst into flames, does everything an ICE car does better than the ICE car. It's a smartphone on wheels. It does many many things that ICE cars simply can't do. As a daily driver car, I never have to stop at a gas station again."

And so on. The claims that EV's are worse polluters are largely contrived BS and cooking the books, but here's the bigger thing: 99% of those people tossing around the fake news about EV's being less green - they don't actually care about going green or saving the planet. So to them, "My car is better than your car" and "Let's race and see who has the better car" is the only argument that actually matters.
Sponsored