Fenestrator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda CRV EX-L
Occupation
Millwork Sales
Country flag
I read in Wikipedia that the CT dashboard is made of recycled paper content. It also has a faux marble appearance which is odd for a vehicle. I worry about the effects of sunlight and possible moisture on the dashboard if it gets wet and is made of paper products. Does anyone know why Tesla chose this material for the dashboard?

Also a couple of questions:
1. Rear view mirrors are now cameras. Is this just on the prototype or will Tesla get this past the Feds?
2. Are there windshield wipers on the truck?
3. A salesman at my local Tesla store told me there may be solar panels as an option to charge the CT.
4. That same salesman told me that a 120V service will charge the CT about 3 miles per hour - a ridiculously slow rate. The 220 super charger seems the best. Never having a Tesla, has anyone had issues with theft of the charging plug when a Tesla is charging in a driveway close to the street out in the open? I haven't a garage where I live.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Revelation

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Res: Rivian R1T, Res: Tesla Cybertruck Tri-Motor + FSD
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
1. This is most likely a final design. With the "Vault" closed you will need to use the camera to see behind you.

2. We are all waiting to see what is in store, there is a lot of speculation going on in this department.

3. This is correct.

4. 120V is slow charging for all EVs - a simple fact of life. You have the option of using 240v outlet, such as a NEMA 14-50 or some variant; or you can go with a Tesla HWPC. The HWPC can accept up to a 100A circuit and the on-board chargers can charge at a much faster rate. For instance on a 50A circuit I can charge at 37MPH on my 3.

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MS 85D, 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Air traffic controller
Country flag
As for the dash; I'm sure the material chosen had something to do with either weight saving, or ease of manufacturing or both. I trust the dash will be robust, probably behaves more like a plastic than compressed paper, likely impregnated with resin or something. I speculate this material was chosen for some reason to aid in airbag deployment a well. I fully expect Tesla is taking safety to a whole new level with CT. We shall see.

I rather like the stone look as well, it fits well with the brutalism design.

1. Tesla, along with a few other manufacturers like Honda and VW are working on changing the DOT regulations for mirrors.

2. ? Tesla has an interesting patent on lasers and electromagnetic wipers....

3. Elon tweeted about an option to upgrade to a solar panel tonneau cover, and possibly fold out pv's.

4. I have a model s, the charger is locked to the port while the car is locked. I do the majority of my charging at work with a 20amp outlet, it's slow but effective. I set up a 50 amp HPWC in my garage, highly recommend doing something like this. The rest of the time I am taken care of with the supercharger network. After a few weeks with your Tesla you'll see just how care free it really is.

Thanks for the questions, hope I was at least a little helpful.
Sponsored