JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Feel compelled to point out that any/ all modifications to the exterior are likely to affect range. Likely more than you expect.
Positively too, especially if you install an air breathing ICE powered range extender under the scoop like a "real car". 🥴

I've actually been wondering for a while now, how hard it would be to make range extending after market aero mods for EV's.
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I’m thinking of installing a hood scoop on my CyberTruck just to confuse people. Would that be tacky?
And have that hood scoop funnel into a turbine that turns a generator. OMG! free power. Quick, anyone have Elon's number?

Of course we'll have to somehow connect a couple planetary gear systems to it to create maximum torque on the generator so we can regenerate at low speeds. This is exciting...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I just spent hundreds of dollars getting the dust back out of my car.

It doesn't need extra ways to get in. It's gonna get dirty.

-Crissa

And have that hood scoop funnel into a turbine that turns a generator. OMG! free power. Quick, anyone have Elon's number?

Of course we'll have to somehow connect a couple planetary gear systems to it to create maximum torque on the generator so we can regenerate at low speeds. This is exciting...
...not touching that, Bill! *laugh*

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Feel compelled to point out that any/ all modifications to the exterior are likely to affect range. Likely more than you expect.
This is super true. I had the FW doors on my MX re-aligned recently and my efficiency improved 3-4% overnight (measured by TeslaFi). That tiny little "bump" from the misaligned doors was creating way more drag than I would have ever thought.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
This is super true. I had the FW doors on my MX re-aligned recently and my efficiency improved 3-4% overnight (measured by TeslaFi). That tiny little "bump" from the misaligned doors was creating way more drag than I would have ever thought.
How hot/cold was it in comparison?

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
How hot/cold was it in comparison?
I controlled for temperature and speed variables using the "efficiency by temp" and "by speed" reports in the app, and then did the compare-by-date for before and after the alignment. It's been cooler now after the alignment than before so if there were a temp bias it would not be in favor - but that bias is removed by using that by-temp view.

radami1

First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, model s
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I’m thinking of installing a hood scoop on my CyberTruck just to confuse people. Would that be tacky?
No. It would be stupid.There would be no function either real or imagined. Like putting horse shoes on your wheels.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
No. It would be stupid.There would be no function either real or imagined. Like putting horse shoes on your wheels.
Wait a minute… I could see a function as humor value in both the hood scoop and the horse shoes.