Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck single motor
Occupation
College Professor
Country flag
As a Texan, I would rather have them build a factory here, but from Elon's point of view, Joplin, MO isn't a bad option. It may not have the same talent pool you have in Austin, but the availability of all american blue collar workers (you know, the guys who actually do the work) is much stronger in a place like Joplin, it isn't far out the desert like Nevada, and its actually very centrally located in the heart of america where these trucks will be popular. Also, much of the heartache associated with building a new factory may already be dealt with if this offer is genuine. I can see why they would want a big manufacturer in the area, it will boost the local economy in big ways, but it will also be beneficial for Tesla to have a factory a little out of the big cities, but close enough to markets like Springfield, St. Louis and Kansas City to draw talent in if needed. Plus it is absolutely beautiful country out there with reasonable weather (winters and summers are pretty mild compared to some parts of the country)
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
As a billionaire you would think Elon would have better taste then picking a one star state.
LOL. I see what you did there.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Elon Musk just tweeted this revealing that Tesla is scouting locations for a Cybertruck Gigafactory and it will be located somewhere in central USA.

Could the Cybertruck Gigafactory be in Texas, as Musk previously may have hinted at in this Facebook poll.

Update: Tennessee could be a front-runner according to reports by Techcrunch.

Where do you think the factory should or will be built?

I vote for Washington.
Not central but lots of tech talent, good rail/seaports and us Canucks want to be close to the action too.

OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Cybertruck gigafactory location updates from Musk today:

"Needs to be more than halfway to east coast."
"Yes." (when asked if Giga Texas was still on the table)
"Not saying new Giga will be in Texas, but Cybertruck will be produced there wherever it is, as Fremont is at max capacity."

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I would be so proud to have a Tesla factory in Texas. I wish we knew what other states are in the running?! seems like Texas was there first choice but probably had to entertain other states as well.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Update - April 24, 2020

Cybertruck gigafactory location updates from Musk today:

"Needs to be more than halfway to east coast."

"Yes."
(when asked if Giga Texas was still on the table)

"Not saying new Giga will be in Texas, but Cybertruck will be produced there wherever it is, as Fremont is at max capacity."

Original post - March 10, 2020

Elon Musk just tweeted this revealing that Tesla is scouting locations for a Cybertruck Gigafactory and it will be located somewhere in central USA.

Could the Cybertruck Gigafactory be in Texas, as Musk previously may have hinted at in this Facebook poll.

Update: Tennessee could be a front-runner according to reports by Techcrunch.

Where do you think the factory should or will be built?

Primary reason d'etre for Eastcoast bias is transportation expense. Moving freight East loaded with Cybertrucks=Easy. Getting backhaul freight West off the eastern seaboard=Easy. So I can see how Tesla car haulers would run 100% loaded miles.
Shipping West = Easy. Getting backhaul freight East off the westcoast = Hard. SO Tesla is planning to backhaul its own freight Telsa cars East. It'll be interesting to see how this all comes together logistically. Texas falls from my #1 WAG to #5 just because of the Houston port keeps them in the search. Now I-40 yeararound traffic falls into play.

Kcloud82

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor
Country flag
Iowa would be a good place. Cheaper labor, lower taxes, and is a little more then halfway to the East coast.

Texas Tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tacoma, Civic
Country flag
Texas makes for a great place for Giga 5!
University of Texas is BIG in leading tech for the advancement of batteries.
Texas is one of the BIG markets for trucks.
Texas has a BIG workforce, Tech, Production, Distribution, Low cost of Living, Good climate!
Texas already produces a BIG amount of existing trucks.
Texas is always giving incentives to BIG Corporations, but doesn't advertise them.
Lets face it, everything is BIG in TX and should have the BIGGEST TESLA.

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
GIGA-INDIANAPOLIS? How about planting the flag on America's motor speedway capital city! Counter program an electric car 500 mile race each year! Good road, rail connections to the east coast, also north and south! How about 0 to 60 staggered starts in 1.8 secs! Haha.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Iowa would be a good place. Cheaper labor, lower taxes, and is a little more then halfway to the East coast.
I-80 winter corridor driving conditions are problematic, especially ice conditions around Council Bluffs west. Add-in unionization proclivities and Iowa looks less attractive with Rep. SteveKing push for right to work legislation.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Update April 29:

In the Q1 earnings call going on right now, Elon just said that the next Giga announcement will be possibly within a month and definitely within 3 months. It will be in the U.S.
So he left the window open for it to be on battery day if the stars align...

Though that pretty much solidifies the absolute earliest date for CT at a new plant as Sept 2021...I would guess closer to December.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
If Cybertruck manufacturing is as simplified as Elon and Sandy Munro suggest, Tesla won’t need a massive building to start Cybertruck production. Smaller building will go up quick. Can prob start CT production while they build out space for model Y production.

Sigjumper

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
Looking at the criteria, east of center, large commercial rail, significant interstate access, AND some of the criteria we assume: workforce, large renewable energy production, etc... the three (in order) I come up with after searching the above are:

1. Davenport, Iowa
2. St Louis, Mo
3. KC, Mo

I personally would love to see Nashville (but Memphis is the more likely TN option based on the above requirements- rail especially.) IF... IF... IF... winter weather and hail are deciding factors, Fort Worth would be #4. But I wouldn’t be surprised (after research- before I never would have guessed) that the Davenport / Peoria, Il area is the best option/makes the most sense. That said, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh would be music to my ears... even ATL could work.
Sponsored