First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
Source: https://electrek.co/2020/07/03/tesla-cybertruck-reservations-china/

Tesla launches Cybertruck reservations in China — is it a big market for trucks?

July 3, 2020

Tesla has launched Cybertruck reservations in China, an increasingly important market for the automaker, but will it be a significant market for Tesla’s electric truck?

After Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck last year, the automaker started taking pre-orders for the truck with a $100 deposit per reservation.

CEO Elon Musk announced that Tesla received over 250,000 reservations for the Cybertruck within a week of unveiling the vehicle.

Tesla stopped updating its reservation tally, but other crowdsourced estimated counts put the total between 450,000 and 500,000 Cybertruck reservations a few months after the unveiling.

As we previously reported, sources told Electrek that Tesla Cybertruck pre-orders are already helping boost sales. Tesla employees say that they are seeing a surprising number of potential customers coming into the store because of the electric pickup truck.

Last month, another estimate put Tesla Cybertruck pre-orders to over 650,000,

Now we learn that Tesla has opened Cybertruck reservations in China (via /u/aaronhry):

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck now available in China Tesla-Cybertruck-China

When converting to USD, the reservation cost is slightly higher than in the US at $141, and reservation holders can lock in the Full Self-Driving package price at $9,000.

In the US, those are currently $100 and $8,000, respectively.

Does China like Tesla Cybertruck?
When you think of China, you don’t really think of pickup trucks, which are primarily an American thing.

Trucks are not really popular in the country for many reasons — not the least of which being many bans in city centers for emission reasons.

But the Chinese automotive is just so big that the numbers still add up to over 400,000 pickup trucks per year in the market.

Tesla might have an opportunity to expand that market with the Cybertruck, which has been attractive to non-truck buyers in other markets.

China also seems to be curious about the Cybertruck.

We have seen several Chinese DIY Cybertruck projects, including a few somewhat convincing ones:

With its new push for localized production, Tesla could also be looking to establish local Cybertruck production in China.

Electrek’s Take

That last part is only likely to happen if Tesla sees significant demand for the electric truck in the market.

How many Cybertrucks per year would you think make sense for Tesla to establish local production in China? Let us know in the comment section below.
Sponsored

Jon B. Ross

First Name
Jon Bøgedal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck ordered - going to replace a Honda Civic, so somewhat of an upgrade
Occupation
International Coordinator
Country flag
I would honestly be surprised if china allows it to be sold. becuase of u know, armor and all
They sell armoured limos and luxury cars over there, so why would a less armoured CBRTCK be a problem?

D8Rider

First Name
D8
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3, CBTRK Reservation
Country flag
Well, actually that is a probability - BMW is going to produce the iX3 in China ... I wouldn't be suprised if Tesla will build some Cybertrucks locally for local market - if they have the production capacity, why not?

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Breaking news
After less than a month, Cybertruck orders in China have reached over 2,150,000 orders. Seems like we're going to need a Terafactory Beijing pretty quick...
(just kidding, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if orders from China topped all others, population in China is insane)

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
This begs the question... they have a new facility, the room, and the demand. Will China get the Cybertruck first?

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
HEADLINE WRITER:

"Now taking reservations"

is not the same as

"Now Available."

Last edited:

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I would not be surprised if they started production over there and imported them to the US.

arnyswart

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi PHEV,
Country flag
It would not surprise me. The ability to build quickly has been demonstrated in China. Tesla by now, probably have found the cultural differences mean China would be more efficient than the US with I suspect better quality control.

Why not do worldwide supply from China and Texas can do the US.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
It would not surprise me. The ability to build quickly has been demonstrated in China. Tesla by now, probably have found the cultural differences mean China would be more efficient than the US with I suspect better quality control.

Why not do worldwide supply from China and Texas can do the US.
I hope you're right. Maybe China can and will become the Japan2 or SouthKorea2 of vehicles, but it's been trying that for over a decade with dismal results. More ominously, is China trustworthy? Maybe the Chinese plant will become Tesla's best, but when it no longer needs American know-how, China could change the terms or even nationalize the factory.

arnyswart

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi PHEV,
Country flag
I still remember “Jap Crap”. I would agree, 20 years ago Chinas ability to manufacture was terrible. I import from China. They produce the best quality glasses in the world for a much cheaper price because they have manipulated the currency.

The workers seem to want to work. China is a first world country which is superior to the states in many ways.

I don’t appreciate the political system but business seems to have no boundaries there. Western countries seem to have too much red tape and a population that seems entitled.