Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
You should check out plug share in Australia... I shows quite a few Non Tesla Charging stations and more are coming this year. There are plenty of caravan parks up the Gippsland coast and destination chargers a plenty in the high country.
I am aware of Plugshare, but you must be looking at a different map to me !
I'm sure the network is growing, but its not remotely viable, at the moment.
Like I said any other charging option is impractical for convenient location and time to charge.

People who go off-road, fuel up at the last convenient fuel stop before leaving civilisation.
Charging stations are placed in locations where the greatest number of people will use them, not the least.

And in so far as all of Gippsland is concerned, once out of Melbourne to the East, and South there's only 2 charging locations with 50kw or more !! Moe and Cape Patterson !!! And a very very light, sparse, spinkling of any other lesser charging option.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Vs. New Bronco 1597457083252
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
And in so far as all of Gippsland is concerned, once out of Melbourne to the East, and South there's only 2 charging locations with 50kw or more !!
1597457083252.png
You don't need to only charge up at high power stations. Those are for convenience when you're on a longer day trip.

Just plan to jump off from one of these points or stay overnight at a destination charger before heading deeper in.

Or call ahead to see if you can pick up an RV plug at one of the campsites to top up.

Electricity is everywhere.

-Crissa

Deleted member 3316

If
I am aware of Plugshare, but you must be looking at a different map to me !
I'm sure the network is growing, but its not remotely viable, at the moment.
Like I said any other charging option is impractical for convenient location and time to charge.

People who go off-road, fuel up at the last convenient fuel stop before leaving civilisation.
Charging stations are placed in locations where the greatest number of people will use them, not the least.

And in so far as all of Gippsland is concerned, once out of Melbourne to the East, and South there's only 2 charging locations with 50kw or more !! Moe and Cape Patterson !!! And a very very light, sparse, spinkling of any other lesser charging option.

1597457083252.png
If you really want to do something you find a way.
If you want to be thoughtless about trips into the wilderness feel free but every trip requires some sort of planning, with a 500km range in the Cybertruck I’m confident the current infrastructure, although not completely convenient, is entirely adequate.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
If you really want to do something you find a way.

Yes, but People aim to find the easiest not the hardest,
but you champ, feel free to do it the hard, most improbable way :)

And that's why I reserved a Cybertruck, I know how good it is. I found a way to get past its limitations.
I'm prepared to leave it at home or carry a generator.
Im well aware of its shortcoming, mainly range reduction when off road and or towing.
Where as some people think it miraculously makes energy and cures cancer ?

If you want to be thoughtless about trips into the wilderness feel free

If you want to be foolish and unreasonable, you go right ahead and work the improbable solution if not foolish, compared to the easy, and common one used all the time by everybody else!

but every trip requires some sort of planning, with a 500km range in the Cybertruck I’m confident the current infrastructure,
although not completely convenient, is entirely adequate.

" Entirely adequate '

Not even close ! Wow these Tesla fan boi's are ridiculous in their zeal ?

Driving just 90 min out of Melbourne, (depending where you start from) wouldn't even get you half way to Warragal on the M 1.
In that 90 min, If you where towing, and had the vault open, and had done just 150 km, you would have drained more than 60% of the battery (in your dual motor 480km range). !!!!.
If that's where you usually turn off the highway to head to the mountains playground.

Thats were your new contingency planning, forget convenience, according to you will now start from !
Cos you don't even have enough energy to go back home, and your day has barely started !

But I'm sure it doesn't kill your day trip or 2 day trip, if you had decided to cut the last 30 min of the drive and charge earlier in Packenham on the one and only charger at 22kw, for 4 or 5 hrs to charge up again !

Like Jason from Engineering Explained said, drive 75min to charge for 50 min (using 250kw charger not one single 22 kw in packenham) is not realistic.
Im sure its all possible in your world though ! Enjoy.

P.S. Some Plug share stations locations are a bit dodgy, fictional really, that Warragal location has disappeared, and the "El Paso Caravan Park" in Drouin doesn't even have any charging beyond a standard power point. Good luck !

Last edited:

Deleted member 3316

Why are you on this forum?
If you are going to limit your thinking you’re unlikely to see the value of driving an EV.
Yes, it is not the same as driving an ICE vehicle. In most ways an EV is objectively better than an ICEV, but until significant proportion of drivers transition to EV the refueling/recharging experience will be ... different.
Search for all the edge cases you like, but these forums are about progressing EVs uptake and transitioning global energy production and consumption to sustainability.

The Cybertruck is going to meet the most common use cases when it actually arrives in Australia.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
(Needs to learn how to use quotes properly)
Driving just 90 min out of Melbourne, (depending where you start from) wouldn't even get you half way to Warragal on the M 1.
...A 500km range won't get you 90 minutes on a 105km trip?

I really don't understand your point here.

Now, it won't get to you Bega, so you'd better stop to charge in Moe, but who the eff cares?

-Crissa

PS, I could make the trip from Melbourne to Warragul on my Zero, which literally has half the range of the new bikes. I won't make it there going 110 kph, that's for sure, but I could make it in one hop.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Why are you on this forum?

Because I think the Cybertruck is great and have ordered one. :cool:

And in fact convinced 2 other buyers ! Im quite passionate about E.V.'s and battery / Ultracapacitor technology.
Equally I also enjoy reading the delight some people share in the purchase and description of their future activities and enjoyment. Sometimes I even learn something :)

If you are going to limit your thinking you’re unlikely to see the value of driving an EV.

I think that's your code, for "if your not going to make believe that EV's and the Cybertruck has no certain severe limitations."
And its just too easy to call out the misleading rubbish some people try to
deceive others with.

Yes, it is not the same as driving an ICE vehicle. Mature of you to finally admit it. ? But it wouldn't be necessary to do so, if you weren't trying to deceive people who should have no doubt that range reduction will be severe. And be diligent about understanding that, especially if it is going to be a work vehicle or your just travelling 187 miles to and from an off road playground that range will be a significant limitation, let alone how much energy or distance is consumed while at the playground.

In most ways an EV is objectively better than an ICEV, but until significant proportion of drivers transition to EV the refueling/recharging experience will be ... different.
Search for all the edge cases you like,
Its not remotely an edge case, and my example has proven it. . . . As well as Jason on Engineering Explained as well as the TFL guys and many many others.

but these forums are about progressing EVs uptake and transitioning global energy production and consumption to sustainability.

I'm all for that objective, and when the 260 wh/kg of the best current automotive battery technology improves I'll be cheering on. And when it gets to 350 wh/kg I'll be ecstatic.

On a side note, As Elon has mentioned himself, all this happy talk about new battery technology has become
irrelevant. Announcements have been coming out almost every single week. They amount to nothing ! (that's not my reflection on the pending battery day presention, I remain open minded on that)

Re Maté Rimac, who notes "in ten years the best Automotive battery's have gone from about 240 wh/kg - 270 wh/kg". Sweet F.A !! Although happily its their price that has dropped substantially.
And if you don't know who that guy is, I'd suggest you don't really know much about E.V.'s at all.

The Cybertruck is going to meet the most common use cases when it actually arrives in Australia.

If the buyers are like me and aware, then they will be more than satisfied, otherwise, there will be buyers remorse, and unhappy people regretting they were deceived by people like you.
P.S. By the way Crissa, read my posts carefully, I'd happily respond to you, if you didn't leave out key parts of what I wrote and aiming your response at that misrepresentation. it means your response it not only wrong, its meaningless ;)

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
P.S. By the way Crissa, read my posts carefully, I'd happily respond to you, if you didn't leave out key parts of what I wrote and aiming your response at that misrepresentation. it means your response it not only wrong, its meaningless ;)
Hahahaha because it is too hard to scroll up to read what your wrote?

It is very standard to put your comments OUTSIDE the quoted post, but that has been pointed out several times before.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Because you don't use quotes right, it's difficult to read what you wrote. And because I have to specifically copy and paste the text you've placed in other people's quotes.

This is all that's copied when I ask the forum to quote your text.

-Crissa

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
It should be carefully noted, that in the terrain shown in the Bronco video, any electric vehicle will suffer terribly from range reduction.

While Cybertruck may be superior in actually traversing most type of terrain and obstacles compared to the Bronco, (with the exception of where the 149.9 inch wheelbase and little worse breakover angle ( 27 deg vs ~25 deg )is a disadvantage ) The Cybertruck can not do it for anywhere near the same length of time.

Along the lines of how a fully charged 300 mile battery will last less than 40 miles under race conditions on a track.

Expect a battery in that terrain to be drained as if you were towing something heavy, even if speed is moderate.

Expect to lose at least 50% of range. Of available range that is !

So if you've only charged it to 90% and you used 30% getting to the play ground, not a lot of opportunity to actually play, before turning to leave.

I for-see a lot of Cybertrucks being towed out of the forest and mountains, and it won’t be because of lack of performance, just lack of range, intrinsic to traversing that sort of terrain.
Then it might be unfairly labelled "junky" too !

Man that Bronco video made the outback look so inviting.

P.S. And the Bronco comes with some sort of force field, or Police repellant !
They can't catch it even if its going slow ;)
I own a Jeep Rubicon and I won't switch to a Bronco, for a number of reasons including the community and aftermarket support, which are both without comparison in the vehicle space. I know the Tesla community is large and helpful, but until I experienced the Jeep Wrangler community and support system I had no idea about it's scope or willingness to help others. I will be interested to see how people react to the first edition Broncos having a $10,000+ dealer markup. That is something Tesla got right ... not forcing buyers to deal with that unsavory side of humanity - "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy".

I am glad Ford is back in the space as it will force FCA to innovate faster and improve their products. The sad thing is that Ford claims the Bronco has been a brand for 55 years, yet they didn't produce any for 29 years. The Jeep Wrangler has the highest resale value of any vehicle. I do wish Tesla would make a Cyber Jeep as I would buy that in a heart beat, as long as you could go topless and doorless. It will be interesting to see how electric vehicles perform in the off-road setting and with towing. I do like that Rivian is talking about installing charging stations at popular off-road locations like Moab, UT. Electric vehicles are the future and they will advance quickly to address the edge cases of use that tax the battery system. I can't wait to see what the battery and motor tech is like in 5 years.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Bronco is last century. In Ford's new old school 4x4 steampunk lives and every conceivable choice ever dreamed now exists. Bronco is cool, especially, for those who did miss out on the last half of 20th Century. Bronco and Jeep are how they can recapture those glory days.

Cybertruck is not steampunk, yet. I definitely think its a design theme missing on Tesla's part - something old something new. But CT also makes the argument for this century, right now! In the same way that Jeep, Bronco, Blazer and Suzuki
brought their innovations to the offroad vehicle. None. Not one was a starter until mid-60's when AMC thought to add an automatic transmission to the Jeep did the 4x4 sales takeoff. No longer was Jeep a guy's rig who had to convince Mama to buy-in on getting one. She was able to drive it with an automatic and the decision was all but made for guys. Bronco, decidedly, was the Sportsman's vehicle of choice sporting fly rod, golden retriever, Browning shotgun and pheasants piled on the tailgate. Not until Ford BigMac'd Bronco adding big V8 and auto did the mass market jump onboard Bronco, including OJ. Chevy Blazer was "the" V8 4x4 vehicle IF you didn't need a pickup. Which Chevrolet acknowledged in 1996 retiring the model in lieu of its new Tahoe SUV soccer-Mom killer but still offroad capable. Suzuki showed up, late sixties, with its 2 cycle 4x4 that fit inside a pickup bed. A joke, except the damn thing could go anywhere a Jeep or any other 4x4 without busted and broken gear. A head turner with its narrow track, lightweight and modest engine power - gearing proved that obstacles can be surmounted with light weight. I could go on with Subaru, etc...

Ford combined those lessons into the new Bronco plus...added all the bells and whistles on people's wishlists. It is Bronco's last gasp and Ford is going to make its argument for a Bronco in your toybox. Its a smart play for bridging the model and the brand from strength to strength - from last century to this one. Enough people build a Bronco following, Ford will include the model in its EV transition.

Bronco is the antithesis of Cybertruck in style, mode and statement. There exists a segment of the buying public yearning for Bronco glory days redux. Just as there exists a segment of the buying public, early adopters and global warming enthusiasts who pine for the glory of Earths golden days. For this group Cybertruck provides a path forward, progress toward saving Earth and interestingly, having your 4x4 killer rig too. Cybertruck and Bronco acknowledge the same market, those who love freedom and adventure to go anywhere.

Cybertruck and Bronco owners are the same with one defining distinction that it not come at the cost of the planet to enjoy it.
Sponsored