Cybertruck Vs. New Bronco

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I think Ford nailed the new Bronco. It’s a true off-road capable rig right off the showroom floor. Jeep has had this category to themselves until now so it’s great to see some competition. FCA will be fighting back with a V8 Wrangler option sometime in 2021. They have secretly built 30 V8 concepts and just need to figure out how to pass IIHS crash testing. The new Bronco will also incorporate aluminum panels for the hood, doors, fenders and rear swing gate to help lighten the vehicle. Ford invested $1 billion dollars on the effort.

If Ford offered a hybrid version right out of the box it would be tempting as I feel this is the best mix for real off-road adventuring. I think taking the Cybertruck off-road presents two inherit challenges. Bulk and range anxiety. Unlike an ICE vehicle you cant strap gas cans inside of the vault of your CT to get extra juice when your out in the boonies. Also, the CT’s full size dimensions will limit where you can take it off-road unless your driving in the desert.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Vs. New Bronco A6508EF4-CDAE-40B2-91EB-31F1961D0346
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I think Ford nailed the new Bronco. It’s a true off-road capable rig right off the showroom floor. Jeep has had this category to themselves until now so it’s great to see some competition. FCA will be fighting back with a V8 Wrangler option sometime in 2021. They have secretly built 30 V8 concepts and just need to figure out how to pass IIHS crash testing. The new Bronco will also incorporate aluminum panels for the hood, doors, fenders and rear swing gate to help lighten the vehicle. Ford invested $1 billion dollars on the effort.

If Ford offered a hybrid version right out of the box it would be tempting as I feel this is the best mix for real off-road adventuring. I think taking the Cybertruck off-road presents two inherit challenges. Bulk and range anxiety. Unlike an ICE vehicle you cant strap gas cans inside of the vault of your CT to get extra juice when your out in the boonies. Also, the CT’s full size dimensions will limit where you can take it off-road unless your driving in the desert.

A6508EF4-CDAE-40B2-91EB-31F1961D0346.jpeg
Dang. You just took what I said and just went for it?

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag

A6508EF4-CDAE-40B2-91EB-31F1961D0346.jpeg
Nailed it? What? I’m sorry, but can any “OLD” ? car company learn new tricks? This BRONCO is not COOL! Not even for off road. Maybe a concert or clubs? JK. but, all kidding aside. Nothing new here. Just an concept coming back to the table to “Make a fast buck.” Where is the ingenuity? Can these old dogs come up with anything that HAS NOT BEEN THOUGHT OF? Geeeeezzz. I favor going forward and growing. Where’s the BEEF?
Seriously old. C’mon man.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I hear you. Tesla hasn’t even the factory location yet and it’s almost August?

• Sad
Reactions: Geo

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I think I found where you went wrong ;)

Well Dids I find your posts to show you are a reasonable, genuine, and sometimes amusing person, who I often agree with.

But in this instance my friend, while you explain a technical reason why you believe the Cybertruck will be better than the Model X, you still don’t seem to want to accept, that it will not be 6 times better. I.e the 1546 Wh/mile consumption that was the documented reality for the Model X will categorically not go down to the approx. 270 wh/mile base line in the Cybertruck.

That energy consumption is not a fault of the Model X and it won’t be a fault of the Cybertruck either.

And even if improved, it won’t be improved to miraculously overcome what is the nature of traversing the terrain and the pace shown in the Bronco video. Which is why I also included the point about when flat out racing, actual distance covered for a fully charged 300 mile battery will go down to about 40 miles. 1/7 th the range. This is fact. ( And that’s on a smooth, solid and non slipping surface )

(And by the way, for others who know better, but think they’ll try to deceive people by suggesting, hey, if I’m recovering energy when breaking for a corner at 40 m/hr, imagine how much more I’ll recover at 160 m/hr. This point in isolation is true, but completely false in the overall context that still shows when racing flat out, the range will drop exponentially, from 300 miles down to around 40 miles)

So my point about off road terrain, rock crawling, and traversing very slowly going up a steep rocky hill (but nothing really special if a Model X with its unsuited suspension can do it), and having fun running around the playground will severely reduce range by over 50%, ie a factor of 2, (let alone any where near a factor of 7 ) is most definetely a reality.

I’m perplexed at the denial. Its really just plain documented reality.

I can’t help but draw a parallel to the Florida Governor who in May was absurdly and blindly stating on camera, that Florida in essence had nothing to worry about, nothing to prepare for, nothing to take action to address !

And like Trump who in Feb and March said the virus count would go down to zero by the end of April

And then again in May said it would go down to zero by July. “It would just go away on its own”. WOW, Simply WOW !

Which reminds me of my new favourite line out of the White House,
“We should not let science get in the way of opening schools”

The most hysterically funny and scary line I think I may have ever heard !
Perhaps you didn’t follow up on what you initially heard/read but I think that you will need to look for another favorite line. Not taking sides here either!

https://www.foxnews.com/media/jake-...ushing-misleading-quote-from-kayleigh-mcenany

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Thank you Frank, you’re right, the full quote shows she was misquoted.
I wouldn’t have been aware if you hadn’t pointed it out.
the mistake is understandable, that line is still there, and is pretty clear on its own,
it does take effort to discern the difference with the other parts of her quote.

The Irony is I think she been hanging out with Trump too long, she’s now starting to talk like Trump, spewing word salad, not quite as incoherent as him, where in one or two sentences be affirmative, negative, acknowledges, denies, and mix subject matter.

Hey have you seen the Daily Show segment that plays Trump’s response to a question, and you have to guess what question Trump was asked.
He's the absolute world champion in verbal diarrhea.

The only message that comes out clear is the narcissistic self interest. Like the time when the body count is escalating in New York, he brain farts “I was never involved in the Model at least not this kind of model”. I have laughed at some odd and dark humour in my time, but this guy is demented.
Which really says something about the sycophants and enablers in the Republican Party.

P.S. Upon reflection, its still my favourite line, and soon enough, it will be highlighted once more when, they do indeed try to ignore the science, as they already have been over and over again.

Last edited:

roncruiser

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1994 80 Series Land Cruiser, 2002 100 Series Lexus LX450, 2005 Lexus IS300
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Big reason I got the tri-motor. 500 miles. I've yet to travel more than 300 miles off road in one day and that was going balls out on my adventure motorcycle on mostly gravel roads. When I'm doing technical stuff mixed in its usually closer to 150 miles. I think the fully kitted up Bronco will be in the low-mid 60's so close to parity with the Tri-Motor and with 3500lbs of payload I can always bring a 6000 watt generator with me if I want to go way into the boonies.
How much range will a 6000 watt generator be on a full tank of "gas"? That is a valid option.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Something not noted, but offroad speeds are usually super-slow. So you get that city-range instead of highway-range.

Just think about it, stop and go traffic lights are inefficient like slipping on gravel. And while hills eat it up, you spend as much time going down as up, usually.

That's why a Zero FX can have a little battery and yet actually last for hours of operation offroad, because you spend most of your time below 40mph.

-Crissa

Praecello

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyrbertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It should be carefully noted, that in the terrain shown in the Bronco video, any electric vehicle will suffer terribly from range reduction.

While Cybertruck may be superior in actually traversing most type of terrain and obstacles compared to the Bronco, (with the exception of where the 149.9 inch wheelbase and little worse breakover angle ( 27 deg vs ~25 deg )is a disadvantage ) The Cybertruck can not do it for anywhere near the same length of time.

Along the lines of how a fully charged 300 mile battery will last less than 40 miles under race conditions on a track.

Expect a battery in that terrain to be drained as if you were towing something heavy, even if speed is moderate.

Expect to lose at least 50% of range. Of available range that is !

So if you've only charged it to 90% and you used 30% getting to the play ground, not a lot of opportunity to actually play, before turning to leave.

I for-see a lot of Cybertrucks being towed out of the forest and mountains, and it won’t be because of lack of performance, just lack of range, intrinsic to traversing that sort of terrain.
Then it might be unfairly labelled "junky" too !

Man that Bronco video made the outback look so inviting.

P.S. And the Bronco comes with some sort of force field, or Police repellant !
They can't catch it even if its going slow ;)
Plenty of sunlight in the outback but no petrol stations..
Sponsored