Did you miss this from 2022Jan? Automotive History & Future with Sandy Munro and Al Wagner

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Automotive History with Sandy and Al
Sandy and Al Wagner discuss Auto History.
Jan 12, 2022

-----

Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Al says he is "tickled pink" to be in the conversation. I have little kids so there is a lot of tickling involved. I wonder what other colors people could be tickled and what that would look like.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
At times a little hard to watch these two dinosaurs pontificate about what “kids” really want.

They talk almost like they assume everyone including kids are still “car people,” and that the fact kids know about Tesla and Musk is due to something like admiration for the engineering, performance, business model, etc., of the vehicle/brand.

based on my equally anecdotal experience:

• sure there are kids that think Teslas are cool, but as much as anything it’s only because Teslas are exclusive and expensive; in 2022, the dad with a MY is the equivalent of the rich dad in 1996 with a 911 turbo

• far from being car people, more and more, “kids” -especially in more urban environments - are just uninterested in personal vehicles; they view cars and driving as cumbersome and … dumb

• sure kids know who Elon Musk is, yes because of Tesla, but as much as anything because he dates teenage pop icons like Grimes, and makes a pop-public spectacle of himself

I do get the point that, to the extent kids are interested in cars they’re interested in fast, expensive, “cool” cars… I only think it odd these guys keep coming back to that fact like it’s a weather vane for the industry.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Young kids do like electric cars. They intuitively prefer the quiet and lack of pollution. It's very easy for them to understand.

-Crissa

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Young kids do like electric cars. They intuitively prefer the quiet and lack of pollution. It's very easy for them to understand.

-Crissa
for every kid like that, there’s a second one that likes loud, coal-rolling, monster trucks, and then a third one that could care less on any metric, and then a fourth one that believes people shouldn’t own individual vehicles whatsoever if they care about the environment.

Looking across the marketing table at all four of those kids, and saying that one is the weather vane of where the industry is going, I think is only to project one’s own biases and beliefs into their minds.

in any event, in the above post all I was really saying was that in the video they at times seem to make the jump from an observation like “kids like electric cars” to something nearing the conclusion of “and in particular Tesla because the engineering is so obviously superior and Musk such a smart automotive visionary.”

Big “ok boomer” vibes

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
By 2030,progressivelly, driving petrol will be scorned upon. IMO.

I came out of the gym the other day... and just outside the entrance, one metre from the door, was a guy smoking a cigarette... couldn't do anything but walk through it.

After a kind word he moved. (yes, it was kind lol... he wasn't thinking)

This is the way
Sponsored