Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So with all the fancy stabilization and traction control that Tesla vehicles have, can they be used for drifting? Or is there a special drifting mode? I’m thinking all that torque would make drifting easy as long as the computers permitted it. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Tesla being drifted. There are a number of videos showing Teslas driving on snow packed roads. But those seem to further demonstrate the anti-skid control of the car.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That's a good question. With modern vehicles, you have to break their normal operation to do tricks like drifting.

Tesla does have a 'track mode'.

-Crissa

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Just youtube search Tesla drifting, plenty of videos.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
If so, then I would have to think that the Cybertruck (and similarly geared EV pickups) would have to be the most driftable trucks off the production line due to the low center of gravity.

Not sure I'd do it, but holy moly would it be fun to watch!

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
OK. So for drifting, there were some videos out there. Found one that had some interesting info. But it looks like this year a new update came out with a new Track Mode. In track mode, you can set up the car for drifting mode and even create other modes with whatever front vs rear-wheel drive you like. Plus how much stabilization and regen to use. Track mode also lets you time and save dashcam video and times of race laps. Sounds like a very interesting update.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
im sure the duel and tri motor will have a setting for this, single as well i guess, theorictally you could run the front wheels backwards, and spin crazy fast.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I have managed to convince myself that Cybertruck is a pure steer by wire... then I think well why wouldn't it have 4 wheel steering? It is better than people realize after all...

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the 4wheel steering is so unnecessary. Perhaps on the trimotor and up that would a cool option.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I’d love 4 wheel steering but I’m not getting my hopes up. Would seriously rock if it had it though.

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
Right, so Tesla S3XY versions only have track mode on performance models. If the Cybertruck follows the usual pattern only the Tri-Motor CT would have track mode? I don't recall this being leaked/discussed but unlike ordering other current production models where track mode is specified with performance models, the preorders for the CT do not use that terminology, performance or track mode. The real order will have options to specify.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Right, so Tesla S3XY versions only have track mode on performance models. If the Cybertruck follows the usual pattern only the Tri-Motor CT would have track mode? I don't recall this being leaked/discussed but unlike ordering other current production models where track mode is specified with performance models, the preorders for the CT do not use that terminology, performance or track mode. The real order will have options to specify.
I've drifted my Performance Model 3 on snow and ice - it's superior to ICE drifting because the throttle responds more instantly to increases or decreases in power. This is due, in part, to the fact that a Tesla has less rotational inertia in the drivetrain and partly due to the instantaneous and superior torque of electric motors. They are very light and powerful which help modulate traction more effectively. Track mode allows you to adjust the traction nannies from 0-100% and control the front/rear distribution of power.

Even when not in track mode my Tesla allows the rear end to kick out wide about 15-20 degrees before traction control locks it there. This is an amazing feeling because as the computer modulates power to maintain that yaw angle it feels like the hand of Jesus is holding the rear of the car in position.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I've drifted my Performance Model 3 on snow and ice - it's superior to ICE drifting because the throttle responds more instantly to increases or decreases in power. This is due, in part, to the fact that a Tesla has less rotational inertia in the drivetrain and partly due to the instantaneous and superior torque of electric motors. They are very light and powerful which help modulate traction more effectively. Track mode allows you to adjust the traction nannies from 0-100% and control the front/rear distribution of power.

Even when not in track mode my Tesla allows the rear end to kick out wide about 15-20 degrees before traction control locks it there. This is an amazing feeling because as the computer modulates power to maintain that yaw angle it feels like the hand of Jesus is holding the rear of the car in position.
Now you are just tempting me to buy some cheap tires to go play with. I’m finding so many fun activities to try with the CT.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Also, remember that Tesla offered track mode and speed upgrades retroactively as in-app purchases for qualifying older models.

So even if there isn't a Performance package at launch, there may be one later you can buy. But, yes, you probably will need the trimotor.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When its raining, for some strange reason my old miata has drift mode stuck on.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
When its raining, for some strange reason my old miata has drift mode stuck on.
Or is that penguin mode? Have you seen penguins walking on the ice? With the periodic slips where they fall on their butts.
Sponsored