Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's what a driven man looks like, he's driven to rise above the days' challenges, keeping his eye on the ball. We are blessed to live in the age of Elon.
Anyone else agree?
Elon stands out as no other CEO. He has no peers really and I suspect a lot of jealousy/envy from many Auto CEO's.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
That's what a driven man looks like, he's driven to rise above the days' challenges, keeping his eye on the ball. We are blessed to live in the age of Elon.
Anyone else agree?
I agree. But even more blessed will be my children. We are just at the cusp of some monumental changes.

I remember talking to my grandmother about the changes that happened in her lifetime. As a young girl, her parents moved the family across Nebraska in a covered wagon. At the new homestead, she grew up and eventually married and lived till she was 92. The highway was put in originally by horse-drawn equipment. Electricity came with the installation of the electrical line on poles. And later a community phone line was added. Automobiles and gas engines started showing up so they started getting a shipment of gas to their personal gas barrel. My mother started commuting to the local schoolhouse but was commuting by horse till she was in high school when she managed to get a car. My Aunt contracted polio but survived after a long time using an iron lung and being treated using some experimental exercises and heat applications. Then the highway was rebuilt, this time using ICE run machines. Somewhere in there, the phones were upgraded to be individual phone numbers instead of party lines. Grandma and Grandpa started being able to travel a bit and flew to Nigeria, to Israel, to Japan. Then beyond airplanes came rockets and the first man to walk on the moon. And computers. She was remote enough that TV wasn't really a thing till pretty late. But eventually, she got a TV. And the phone lines were upgraded. Then a fiber optic line was run along the highway. And later cell phones came into use.

The thing is though that while some of these changes brought direct benefit to her life, a lot of it also passed her by. She lived in the same small house from the time she was married till she passed away. Over time she would get replacements of water heaters, well pumps, etc. Till the mid 80's she still heated the house with a single wood stove. But things like the fiber optic line, cell phones, the moon landing, etc really happened as external events that were memorable but not directly impacting her life. And really from the mid-70s till she passed, there were very few material changes in her day to day living.

But look at the changes that happened in the world during that time and it is just amazing how much actually changed. I would argue though that the visible and impactful changes really happened between the 40s and the 70s. During that time everything changed. After that, there were iterations of improvement but most everything that happened was recognizable as an improvement of something that already existed.

With these iterations, we have been building up some key technologies that for one reason or another have really been pent up into a backlog of world-changing effects. I could argue that the oil and gas industry did a lot to hold back key changes. Or that after we had explored the moon a bit and some accidents happened, that peoples imagination and urgency of what we could do in space died down to a simmer. Or that many of the technologies like computers needed more time to really come to the fore.

So now we come to the current age. I've lived my life through the time of this pent up technological development. Yes, some big changes have occurred. But nothing like going from covered wagon to man on the moon. I would argue though that the next 30 years very well could be that big of a change. And not just changing the world around us. I believe during the next 30 years the changes will be like each of us personally went from the covered wagon to visiting the moon personally. In fact, some of us might very well visit the actual moon. And possibly even Mars.

But much like my grandmother, I am at an age where the changes are going to be fun and interesting but not necessarily directly impactful to the trajectory of my life. I will enjoy the changes. Many of them will bring greater convenience, health, and leisure to my life. But when I look at my children, I can barely imagine how these changes will impact their trajectory. Will one of them decide to immigrate to Mars? Will they take on some of these changes in ways I could never imagine? As a kid in my family, I was the one who took to using computers and it has molded my entire career. What impact will AI, neuralink, green tech, the new physics, or CRISPR have on them?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Workaholics don't dream of leisure. They dream of the things they are working on. Leisure drives them nuts.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Workaholics don't dream of leisure. They dream of the things they are working on. Leisure drives them nuts.

Elon said "It would be nice to have a bit more free time on my hand...."

Free time=leisure

"as opposed to just working day and night, from when I wake up to when I go to sleep seven days a week...."

Workaholic

Elon is not the average workaholic, or at least as you define it.

I listened(and watched) to Elon talk about the things he thinks about on a Joe Rogan podcast.

Elon would not fit into your box.
Sponsored