Elon Musk’s Boring Company has announced that it is joining Tesla in Austin, Texas for a new tunnel project.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Elon Musk’s Boring Company has announced that it is joining Tesla in Austin, Texas for a new tunnel project.

It is already starting to hire.

The Boring Company is already involved in several tunnel and ‘Loop’ projects in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and in Maryland.

A ‘Loop’ consists of a tunnel with Tesla vehicles moving passenger autonomously at high speeds inside.

Now it is adding another one to the list.

The Boring Company has posted several jobs in Austin, Texas and tweeted something that makes it sound like they want to build a tunnel in the city:

“Rumor has it that “Austin Chalk” is geologically one of best soils for tunneling. Want to find out? Austin jobs now available.”
Musk’s startup is going to join its other company, Tesla, in Austin.

The project that they are going to be working on is currently unknown, but Musk has gained experience working with county officials, which is going to be helpful in pushing such a construction project through the approval process.

Electrek’s Take

Elon has talked about the Boring Company building loops and hyperloops at Tesla locations before, including between Fremont factory and Gigafactory Nevada.

I wouldn’t surprised if Boring Company coming to Austin would have something to do with Tesla.

I bet that they will be leveraging Tesla’s Gigafactory Texas project to build a Loop to Austin and then try to expand the Loop throughout the city — not unlike how they used the Las Vegas Convention center project to launch the Las Vegas loop.

If Elon can also use Tesla’s experience working with Austin officials for the Gigafactory project in order to seek approval for a Boring Company Loop, it could greatly increase the project’s chances of happening.

SOURCE: ELECTREK
Sponsored

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Elon to tunnel from Giga Austin to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport?(about 2.5 miles)

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I thought I saw a tunnel in the plans for Giga-Texas, that went under the Toll Road. Possibly have parking across the road, connected by tunnel with Tesla shuttles directly into the buildings? Those buildings are HUGE, shuttling people makes sense.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Seeing how close Austin is, I would imagine that the Boring Company would want to build a loop between Giga Texas and the suburbs around Austin. This would give Tesla employees a fast cheap way to get to work.

I'm certain we'll see the Austin area receive lots of infrastructure investment from Tesla over the years. I'd bet that Elon slowly starts moving the Tesla/Boring/SpaceX companies from Freemont/LA to Austin, albeit slowly, as to not lose the key management team that would not be willing to make that move.

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Oh man, I hope these are open to the Public. I might just have to move to Austin. I think I can handle the 2.5 hour daily commute once I get my CT :unsure:
Sponsored