Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
KEY POINTS
  • Elon Musk reassured Tesla’s commitment to China in a virtual speech at the World Internet Conference that’s hosted by the Cyberspace Administration of China.
  • Musk said the automaker will continue to expand its investments in the country.
  • It’s the second time this month Musk was highly complimentary of the nation that’s imperative to his electric vehicle company, saying it’s a “global leader in digitalization.”
  • Less than two weeks ago, at the World New Energy Vehicle Congress, Musk said Chinese automakers were the “most competitive in the world.”

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk praises China, says Tesla will continue to expand investments there 3-gettyimages-1211442310-wm2_6890_2020030953941364

Elon Musk, founder and chief engineer of SpaceX speaks at the 2020 Satellite Conference and Exhibition March 9, 2020 in Washington, DC. Musk answered a range of questions relating to SpaceX projects during his appearance at the conference.
Win McNamee | Getty Images

Elon Musk reassured Tesla’s commitment to China, saying the automaker will continue to expand its investments in the country.

Musk’s comments came in a pre-recorded question-and-answer style stream at the World Internet Conference, hosted by the Cyberspace Administration of China.

It’s the second time this month Musk was highly complimentary of the nation that’s imperative to his electric vehicle company, saying it’s a “global leader in digitalization.” Less than two weeks ago, Musk, during another pre-recorded stream at the World New Energy Vehicle Congress, said Chinese automakers were the “most competitive in the world.”

“My frank observation is that China spends a lot of resources and efforts applying the latest digital technologies in different industries, including the automobile industry, making China a global leader in digitalization,” Musk said in the latest video. “Tesla will continue to expand our investment and R&D efforts in China.”

Tesla has been trying to improve its reputation in China after a slew of negative press. The company has faced regulatory scrutiny around its privacy and a handful of recalls in China. Beijing had reportedly restricted or banned the use of Tesla’s electric vehicles by some state and military personnel.

Musk called out data protection in his speech, specifying what types of data are stored locally.

“At Tesla, we are glad to see a number of laws and regulations that have been released to strengthen data management,” Musk said.

“Tesla has set up a data center in China to localize all data generated from our business here, including production, sales, service and charging. All personally identifiable information is security stores in China without being transferred overseas. Only in very rare cases, for example, spare parts orders from overseas is data approved for transfer internationally.”

The company broke ground on a major Shanghai factory in 2019. Tesla sold 44,264 China-made vehicles in August, including 31,379 for export. It was an increase from the 32,968 China-made vehicles sold in July and 33,155 units sold in June.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/26/mus...tesla-will-expand-investments-in-country.html
Sponsored

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Less than two weeks ago, Musk, during another pre-recorded stream at the World New Energy Vehicle Congress, said Chinese automakers were the “most competitive in the world.”
Hmmm, what about GM, Ford, Stellantis, German and Japanese automakers?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hmmm, what about GM, Ford, Stellantis, German and Japanese automakers?
Well the Japanese automakers aren't even in this market yet. I suppose Nissan is sort-of with the Leaf.

Ford is having trouble putting together 20,000 EVs in a year.

GM had a backwards year.

The CEO of Stellantis told people not to buy their EVs.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
hmmm, let's see 44,000x12=528,000 and that's just in Shanghai! Now add Fremont, Berlin, Austin and we see exponential growth possibilities!

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well the Japanese automakers aren't even in this market
But Toyota has hybrids! Does that count? I bet they are really going to hype the new 2022 Tundra with it's hybrid powertrain.

I suppose Nissan is sort-of with the Leaf.
Nissan is part of Renault. Doesn't that make them French?

Ford is having trouble putting together 20,000 EVs in a year.

GM had a backwards year.
If I can read Elon's mind he doesn't think much of these two in terms of competitiveness.
Elon knew GM's Bolt had a high propensity for battery problems(runaway thermal) because they use "pouch cells".
'Tesla Will Never Use Pouch Battery Cells Favored By Many OEMs
Elon Musk explains that the risk is too high.'
https://insideevs.com/news/532693/tesla-pouch-battery-cells-risk/

The CEO of Stellantis told people not to buy their EVs.
You're thinking of CEO of FCA Sergio Marchionne who died(R.I.P.) before Stellantis was created.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But Toyota has hybrids! Does that count?
When the Prius launched 20 years ago (or whenever it was), it counted. About 10 years ago, it ceased to be impressive. As of about 5 years ago, it no longer counts at all.

Nissan is part of Renault. Doesn't that make them French?
You're thinking of CEO of FCA Sergio Marchionne who died(R.I.P.) before Stellantis was created.
All these mergers and nonsense with dying companies swapping brand names like fashion accessories is confusing. I have no idea if Nissan counts as Japanese anymore. But since they still call Ram an "American car company", even though there was never a Ram car company that was American owned, I think Nissan can be Japanese or French, or American if they want. Heck... I'm pretty sure they can be a Canadian car company at this point.

And yes, I was talking about the former, deceased CEO of the car company which was acquired/ or transitioned into Stellantis.

I don't spend much time thinking about how the husks of dead companies get shuffled around.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But since they still call Ram an "American car company", even though there was never a Ram car company that was American owned,
To make matters even more confusing Heavy-Duty Rams are "Hecho in Mehico'.

All these mergers and nonsense with dying companies swapping brand names like fashion accessories is confusing.

Multinational Corporations have been around a long time.. Tesla is a multinational corporation.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Multinational Corporations have been around a long time.. Tesla is a multinational corporation.
You are missing my point.

Tesla does not have a collection of dead brands under it's corporate umbrella. Stellantis is a brand necromancer. Just controls a bunch of zombie brands.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You are missing my point.
Not really. I did get your point.

Tesla does not have a collection of dead brands under it's corporate umbrella.
I don't understand why "dead brands" are such a big deal to you?

Stellantis is a brand necromancer. Just controls a bunch of zombie brands.
I'm just guessing here that you don't care too much for corporate takeovers? Could you not say the same for Tesla? What am I missing here?

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I might describe a duck as a bird with a bill and webbed feat. That's not a big deal, it's a description of what it is.
LOL Well alrighty then!