Elon visits Bristol UK to look for new GigaFactory Site - European Cybertruck maybe?

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
Saw in the news over the weekend that Elon flew over to the UK last week to check out potential sites for a new gigafactory.

Rumours first emerged that the UK government’s Department of International Trade had recently been on the lookout for a 4 million sq ft commercial premises - and an old MOD site near Bristol was earmarked as suitable & available
>> https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/elon-musk-tesla-uk-factory-4192165

Now I found this interesting, as just up the road & rail, (well 50 miles away if your counting), is the massive Tata steel plant at Llanwern in South Wales - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanwern_steelworks

Why the need for a European Cybertruck?

Simply - Its present design is just too darn big for our little roads & garages & Elon has previously stated that he wants each variant of car to be made near its market to save all the shipping costs

Just a thought ...

Tesla Cybertruck Elon visits Bristol UK to look for new GigaFactory Site - European Cybertruck maybe? Screen Shot 06-08-20 at 10.05 PM.PNG
Sponsored

OP
OP
restyle

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag

Meshi

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Given the U.K. population and its exit from the E.U., it sounds feasible that a Tesla factory is a sustainable project. The supply of steel from Tata and Mittal should be a plus. I wonder if the old U.K. battery factories like Exide et-el will be encouraged to get into the play.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Maybe. A Tesla gigafactory puts out up to a third the total sales in the UK. I don't know if it would give them that much of a price advantage. Maybe?

-Crissa

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe. A Tesla gigafactory puts out up to a third the total sales in the UK. I don't know if it would give them that much of a price advantage. Maybe?

-Crissa
Make it the centre for the right hand drive CT, god I hope we get the chance to have the factory here, having a Giga Factory would make up for all the aircraft jobs lost in the area over the last 10 years or so. We have good rail road and shipping links and if our government would pull it’s finger out and build the Barrage this area would be booming.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There aren't many other right-hand drive countries in that corner of the planet, are there?

India, Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, South Africa... they're all really far, right?

-Crissa

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Make it the centre for the right hand drive CT, god I hope we get the chance to have the factory here, having a Giga Factory would make up for all the aircraft jobs lost in the area over the last 10 years or so. We have good rail road and shipping links and if our government would pull it’s finger out and build the Barrage this area would be booming.
That close to Norway (not in the EU either) I hope they would make some left hand drive CTs too... ?

There aren't many other right-hand drive countries in that corner of the planet, are there?
There aren’t many RHD countries left in Europe. The British Isles, and then just Malta and Cyprus?

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
That close to Norway (not in the EU either) I hope they would make some left hand drive CTs too... ?
Maybe drive by wire will allow the steering wheel (yoke) to be moved back and forth between left or right driver. Just have an outlet that you insert it into like a plug.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Maybe drive by wire will allow the steering wheel (yoke) to be moved back and forth between left or right driver. Just have an outlet that you insert it into like a plug.
In that case I doubt it’s easily moved by the owner, because the wheel (yoke) could then also be removed(!) or not sit right. Something similar will probably be possible in the future though.
Sponsored

Last edited: