Ford to build 600k EV's/yr by end of next year and has 2nd EV truck in the works

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Here goes nothing ...

Ford doesn't have the battery density of the 4680's , specs will fall away dismally compared to the Cybertruck.

A company like Ford whose signature item is the
truck, having your pants pulled down is an end to your business.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My reading of the sentence "In the next ~12 months, Tesla will be delivering vehicles at a 2.5M annual rate" is "some time in 2023 Tesla will hit 500K vehicles per quarter."
It means Tesla made, per the final week, 23,000 cars a week. It means he's predicting 48,000 a week by the end of this year or sometime next year.

...And 2.5m/4 is 625k.
That makes some wild and unknowable assumptions
They're the same ones Tesla made on the earnings call. Shortages don't change run rate, though, they change total deliveries.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Ford did a kind-of-cool copycat video.

Wish they resisted the urge to turn it into a full blown commercial, but it’s mostly ok.

BenH

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Landscaper
Country flag

They are claiming to be gunning for Tesla's EV market share.. specifically the leader in EV Truck market share.

Have a second EV pickup truck model in the works separate from the F-150 Lightning.

600k EV's by end of next year.

2 million + EV's a year within 4 years.

While I find it a bit of saber rattling and exaggerated goals/braggadocio which I highly doubt they will be able to meet those goals, it is a good thing for us who want the CT! Tesla actually has the capability to meet 500k+ CT's a year in the next 2-3 years, and more importantly, Musk wants this truck to be the top selling truck.. not just EV truck, so this bodes well for even more affordable CT prices since they actually have the margins to produce them in numbers at affordable prices. Ford does not.

Btw it's hilarious and delusional he thinks they will be the biggest ev manufacturer when they plan on producing 2 million EVs a year in 4 years. Tesla produces over a million a year now.. before giga Texas and Berlin started deliveries or ramped to full production. Tesla will be producing at least 3 million (modest estimate) EVs a year within 2 years. Basic math failure on Ford CEO's part.
This is great news for all EV fans. Telsa need to get their ass kicked to come up with longer range and more affordable price.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag

Another interesting point would be if they could imagine to get close to those numbers, folks banking on the EV tax rebate Ford are in for a surprise as it will expire before the buyers get those trucks.

Toonces

First Name
Meow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model Y
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Country flag
Yep.

The whole industry is shifting to EV fast. Soon nobody is going to want ICE vehicles. Trucks will be a few years out, but it’s already happening to cars and small SUVs.

I think once we get a few hundred thousand Electric trucks on the road the truck market is going to start shifting fast.
Already happening in SoCal…150 deliveries a week just out the Carlsbad Service Center…and there’s 3 more Service Centers with in 50 miles.

Toonces

First Name
Meow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model Y
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Country flag
I don't know where they're going to get that many batteries. They haven't explained.

I don't doubt their ability to make truck bodies, but... this is their second doubling of their 2023 production target and how dis they just invent four more battery factories when none of their own are scheduled to come online until there second iteration truck in 2025?

-Crissa
BYD blade batteries maybe?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Another interesting point would be if they could imagine to get close to those numbers, folks banking on the EV tax rebate Ford are in for a surprise as it will expire before the buyers get those trucks.
The way the regulation works, a company can time things to maximize how much rebate they get.

After they hit 200k, it tapers for 2? Quarters. I think I heard they were going to run out sometime this year so they might get a couple quarters with half or a quarter of the full rebate.

Of course thats when the Lobbying kicks back into high gear.

Deleted member 5322

As an American I am proud of Tesla, Ford, and GM that shifting car market to EV. As much as all of them produce cars here , as less we will get from China, Korea, and Japan. I am so proud that America is becoming a leader in EV Car Industry (mostly because of Tesla). For hundreds years Europe kept the leadership, they brought their cars to America. Now Tesla has built a gigafactory in Europe (Berlin) and selling American cars over there!!!
Let's be proud of all family members, not just of one of them (Tesla).

Last edited by a moderator:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
As an American I am proud of Tesla, Ford, and GM that shifting car market to EV. As much as all of them produce cars here , as less we will get from China, Korea, and Japan. I am so proud that America is becoming a leader in EV Car Industry (mostly because of Tesla). For hundreds years Europe keeper the leadership, they brought their cars to America. Now Tesla has built a gigafactory in Europe (Berlin) and selling American cars over there!!!
Let's be proud of all family members, not just of one of them (Tesla).
Since when has GM treated customers or us non-customers who have a right to clean air as family?

I can understand why ICE vehicles were necessary from 1900-1995 because battery tech was too limiting and harm of air pollution was not really factored in early part of last century.

However by time of GM EV1, battery tech was good enough to start the transition and air pollution problems had been well known and easily known by everybody except idiots and liars. GM suppressed dissemination and scaling of battery tech by selling key patents to fossil fuel industry. Even as late as 2020 GM was lobbying Federal government to weaken pollution and fuel economy standards.

Until the upper ranks of GM ( not just the CEO) is replaced I will not give them the benefit of doubt and I will examine every action for an ulterior motive.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5322

Since when has GM treated customers or us non-customers who have a right to clean air as family?

I can understand why ICE vehicles were necessary from 1900-1995 because battery tech was too limiting and harm of air pollution was not really factored in early part of last century.

However by time of GM EV1, battery tech was good enough to start the transition and air pollution problems had been well known and easily known by everybody except idiots and liars. Even as late as 2020 GM was lobbying Federal government to weaken pollution and fuel economy standards.

Until the upper ranks of GM ( not just the CEO) is replaced I will not give them the benefit of doubt and I will examine every action for an ulterior motive.
GM is just doing their business the way they think is the most profitable. I can not blame them for it because when I got a better job offer I switched jobs. Because everyone is thinking first about their families and themself, then about others.
Now they realized the market is moving toward EV. They brought up Silverado EV and many people like it. And, to be honest it would be a very tough decision between Lightening and Silverado EV if there weren't Cybertruck from Tesla. I know Tesla is Like a stranger that came into your town and changed everything that you got used to it.
Here we go, and Ford was the first one who realized where the market goes. Despite GM did not want to have any changes they realized if they want to stay on top of the water they MUST accept these changes and move forward. Will see in 5-10 years where it goes, but i think if the batteries is not a problem - GM will completely switch from ICE to EV. They just need a little bit more time

Technolust

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
Only a pre-order on the the CT. Not interested in the F150 at all! It looks like a normal truck about as aerodynamic as a lunch box and well it's a Ford!!! Now if Toyota makes a Tundra or Tacoma, I may be interested....
Sponsored