Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
So I had an opportunity to go with some friends that work on the Hummer off road platform design. They also brought along a Hummer and we spent Sunday at the Holly Oaks Off road Park. GM guys were super awesome and taught me the ropes. Hummers and Cybertrucks get along well...:D
Thanks to those guys for hooking me up with a flag setup for the front of the truck. Will have a bracket designed shortly for the front tow hook.

Some early thoughts on new update.

1. Love trail assist. Can't say enough about it. Was able to rock crawl at 1 mph and just focus on steering.
2. Overland on rock was awesome. Even on a wet misty morning did well.
3. Wish it had a camera looking rearward underneath
4. Torque Vectoring Makes donuts awesome.
5. No air down needed for tires.

I will talk more about it. Needless to say everyone was impressed. Did very well. Makes novice off roaders have some real confidence, not sure that is a good thing. Fun to drive. Very intuitive. Pics coming from phone so give me a minute.

PXL_20240505_143451155.MP.jpg

PXL_20240505_161351952.jpg
PXL_20240505_145258033.jpg

PXL_20240505_162037576.jpg

PXL_20240505_161915525.jpg
PXL_20240505_150235578.jpg

PXL_20240505_145113124.jpg

VIDEO:

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Outdoors

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
If one does donuts. Please be careful. Stay far away. The rocks spit like a volcano. I guess I made tik tok shortly afterwards.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Looks challenging with greasy soil and holes spaced similar to axle-to-axle distance. How did Cybertruck do on this feature? TIA.

1715180272012-xa.png

mbrockus

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model X, AWD CT
Occupation
President of the Anonymous of the Anonymous Club
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. Cool there are places like this to go and tear it up.

OP
OP
Outdoors

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Looks challenging with greasy soil and holes spaced similar to axle-to-axle distance. How did Cybertruck do on this feature? TIA.

1715180272012-xa.png
I think we did this section along with stairsteps many times. As I mentioned trail assist. Was able to go up that pedal free at 1 mph. It helps as I can brake, and then it resumes the speed. Just don't forget it is on when ya get to the top. Other times manual as well. A good spotter helps. Not so much on front as camera is there, but underneath to see the holes for the rear wheels. Hummer has that, and it helps.

Was a misty morning. Perfect for testing. Overland rock was the choice, and for a first trip up everyone thought it did very well. No touches on the bottom for the whole day.

Keep in mind my friend and his team hold several patents for virtual lockers and this is the course that the Hummer offroad was tested on weekly to dial in. So I had expert advice and people that new the perfect lines for the hardest parts.

Baja was fun for dialing in the distribution, but being speed limited we spent most of our time on rocks or very steep stuff.

So in summary. I hate to say it was easy, but I have never been in the world of off roading. I have all the extraction stuff and winch, and love getting people out of jams. I just didn't realize how capable both of these trucks were. Hummer and Cybertruck.

Edit add: The best part. Brought along a son of an engineer. We need a 9 year old to keep too much geek speak out of it. Too many engineers in a truck, and bad stuff starts to happen. He loved the donuts. I think we did 6 or so before we got the right shot.

Last edited:

codeater

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model Y LR, 2024 Foundation Series Cybertruck
Country flag
Did you notice more squeaking noice after offroading?

I did two trails and now there's a sound in my driver side door everytime I turn the truck. It's loud enough to be annoying and I'm wondering if service can fix it...

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

I did two trails and now there's a sound in my driver side door everytime I turn the truck. It's loud enough to be annoying and I'm wondering if service can fix it...
Only when the wife is in the car.

You may want to look at the undercarriage and behind the front wheel, maybe spray wash it.

OP
OP
Outdoors

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C

No squeaks, but we did throw some faults after donuts. Rear locker showed lock, even though it was unlocked. Learned from my GM friends that driving in some circles will help the locker see the unlocked. It does hamper the moment till fixed. All overland and Baja are X d out until the problem is gone.

Already planning to go back unassisted to break something I am sure. Slow is the key. If ya can't get up slowly. Try something different.

Have a 100 mile trail ride Saturday with about 10 jeeps. Met some people that take special need folks for rides.

Car show tonight.

Ownership is fun 😊

Speedr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
No squeaks, but we did throw some faults after donuts. Rear locker showed lock, even though it was unlocked. Learned from my GM friends that driving in some circles will help the locker see the unlocked. It does hamper the moment till fixed. All overland and Baja are X d out until the problem is gone.

Already planning to go back unassisted to break something I am sure. Slow is the key. If ya can't get up slowly. Try something different.

Have a 100 mile trail ride Saturday with about 10 jeeps. Met some people that take special need folks for rides.

Car show tonight.

Ownership is fun 😊
Can you try and re-uplaod the video? It's not showing/playing...

OP
OP
Outdoors

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C

OP
OP
Outdoors

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Thanks! Had to watch it on an Apple device to see it. On windows, it says No video with supported format and MIME type found.

BTW, do you have a Cyberbeast or AWD?
AWD. I did post on it earlier, but I will cover tire PSI now. Speaking to the engineer folks. They explained the tire pressure down isn't as necessary as one thinks. The contact area on the tires is very good due to weight. There are many downsides of airing down as well. Other things start happening. So all that work was done at normal pressures with minimal wheel spin despite conditions.
Sponsored