I am holding firm on my CT reservation for the UK. Who else ?

OP
OP
Feersum Endjinn
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 P
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
I don’t think our transport managers or whatever glorified title they give themselves these days have a clue, this also goes to architects that are are still building new houses where you can’t fit a normal family car in the garage unless you like to climb out of the boot because you can’t open the door, perfectly acceptable if you drive the original mini or Morris Minor. All parking bays in the U.K. are far to small, however once we get the CT I certainly won’t be worried again by the morons that seem to get pleasure from running trollies down the side of your pride and joy or from hitting and driving off without a care in the world.
Better to make all the bays the same size as the Disabled bays.
Agree. Uk parking space not good for many uses never mind CT. I will not be using mine as a Chelsea tractor. On the school run or to Tesco’s either.
Sponsored

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Agree. Uk parking space not good for many uses never mind CT. I will not be using mine as a Chelsea tractor. On the school run or to Tesco’s either.
In the states, the term "grocery getter" is used by some to describe their truck. Often, it's to differentiate the truck they drive for personal use from the truck they drive professionally. It might be used in reference to a tricked out truck to say that they don't take it off-road, "This is just my grocery getter".

In the places I've been in Texas, everything is big, the hair, the tortilla chips, the parking spaces, the parking lots, the roads, everything. I live in northern California and it's just the opposite. There's no way I could use a CT as a grocery getter unless I parked at the far end of the lot or... just didn't care about how little space there would be between me and the next vehicle. I'm mean door dings, ha, never gonna happen well... to me at least.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, I'll be using it to go to Costco. But that's Costco, and they know people take big vehicles to their store.

So much so, it's kind of a pain to drop by on my motorcycle. At least no one shooed me away from the bicycle rack today. It was pouring out!

-Crissa

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I would be calling it a “cabin racer”. I can throw skis and bags under the vault, each of the two children could bring a friend, and I needn’t worry if the road has been snow plowed or not (or has been washed away during spring or autumn). The CT could also be an emergency battery should the electricity go down up there, but it’s no good charging up there so the range will come in handy.

Also my wife’s family lives far away on farms so would be using it when going there. The Model 3 is for grocery getting and for my wife to work. I take the train to work when not working from home.

Also it frees up space in the double garage for activities (like my bike’s “manual machine”) as the CT doesn’t fit in there ?

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
I had a call from someone at Tesla UK a couple of days ago trying to sell me a Model 3 (apparently they've just received a shipment & have loads going spare - no discounts though), & I asked if the Euro Cybertruck was still going ahead - after all, they've still got our deposits.
Now obviously, as a Tesla representative, he wasn't going to dismiss the idea, but said as far as he knew it was still going ahead maybe in 3-4 years time - Yay, lets keep the dream alive :D

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I had a call from someone at Tesla UK a couple of days ago trying to sell me a Model 3 (apparently they've just received a shipment & have loads going spare - no discounts though), & I asked if the Euro Cybertruck was still going ahead - after all, they've still got our deposits.
Now obviously, as a Tesla representative, he wasn't going to dismiss the idea, but said as far as he knew it was still going ahead maybe in 3-4 years time - Yay, lets keep the dream alive :D
I hope that was about the «euro Cybertruck» as in Wolverine, and that this doesn’t exclude the Cybertruck proper. Maybe I’m dreaming too, in which case I’ll look into gray importing the latter.

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
Well, I think we all know that unless the final design meets euro pedestrian impact rules, which it almost certainly wont, its not going to be imported by normal means as it wont get the 5* safety ratings which we know tesla loves.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I think we all know
I always enjoy finding out something new that I supposedly know because we all know it. Somehow my brain doesn't seem to be getting the group knowledge notifications all the time. I tend to have to wait for actual real-world confirmation one way or another before actually knowing these "facts". Thanks for being clear and vocal about this information I was supposed to have known.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...which it almost certainly wont, ...
And we've gone over this. There are cars with similar front profiles that are currently legal. And it's only some weird insistence that the stainless surfaces are somehow impervious to scoop and drop design.

-Crissa

Last edited:

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
And we've gone over this. There are cars with similar front profiles that are currently legal. And it's only some weird insistence that the stainless surfaces are somehow impervious to scoop and drop design
Its not really the frontal shape that's the problem, but the ability for that shape/material to deform upon impact with a pedestrian, & also to prevent injury to those within the vehicle if impacting another vehicle.
In a pedestrians case - The vehicles bodywork effectively suffers more damage through energy absorption than the person it hits - well that's the theory.

So upon impact & dependent on which part is in contact:-
  • Bumper to deform to protect lower leg
  • Hood to deform to protect impacting head
  • Windscreen to absorb impact energy when in contact with head
See >> https://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle...lnerable-road-user-vru-protection/head-impact

This is the main reason my land rover is covered with plastic panels on the front end, & with readily deformable bodywork.
If the Cybertruck retains its very rigid stainless front end, its hard to see how it would get good scores in the ncap tests both for pedestrians & standard crash tests - with which Tesla does usually pride itself with scoring highly.

While true that it doesn't currently make the vehicle illegal if it gets a low score in the tests, it sure doesn't do that model's reputation any good - scroll down on the above link to see the worst cars classed as "Don't Buys"