Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Occupation
Technical Consultant
Country flag
With everyone talking about the Cybertrucks loss of range while towing, I thought I'd remind us all that ICE vehicles can also lose significant range while towing.

Over the weekend I drove my 2014 F-150 from Draper UT to Mesquite NV. Behind my truck I was towing a Polaris RZR UTV on a double axle trailer with a combined weight somewhere between 3,000 and 3,500 lbs. My truck has a 36-gallon fuel tank and without a load can typically go more than 500 miles on a tank (typically gets 13-15mpg).

On this road trip however I averaged 8.4mpg and was only able to make it 270 miles before needing to fill up. And because of the inaccurate range estimates given by the truck's computer when towing, I was forced to detour 15 miles off the freeway in the middle of nowhere to fuel up.

So yes, the Cybertruck will undoubtedly lose range when towing/hauling. But don't forget that ICE trucks lose range too.

TLDR: Towing a UTV with my F-150 decreased its range from 500+ miles to less than 275 miles.

Tesla Cybertruck ICE Loss of Range While Towing 20200228_194146
Sponsored

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
With everyone talking about the Cybertrucks loss of range while towing, I thought I'd remind us all that ICE vehicles can also lose significant range while towing.

Over the weekend I drove my 2014 F-150 from Draper UT to Mesquite NV. Behind my truck I was towing a Polaris RZR UTV on a double axle trailer with a combined weight somewhere between 3,000 and 3,500 lbs. My truck has a 36-gallon fuel tank and without a load can typically go more than 500 miles on a tank (typically gets 13-15mpg).

On this road trip however I averaged 8.4mpg and was only able to make it 270 miles before needing to fill up. And because of the inaccurate range estimates given by the truck's computer when towing, I was forced to detour 15 miles off the freeway in the middle of nowhere to fuel up.

So yes, the Cybertruck will undoubtedly lose range when towing/hauling. But don't forget that ICE trucks lose range too.

TLDR: Towing a UTV with my F-150 decreased its range from 500+ miles to less than 275 miles.

20200228_194146.jpg
Thank you for provided a real world example of range loss. I have driven that section of I-15 many times and know about the other factor that impacts range: speed. I found the drives really boring and would drive a bit above the speed limit (in the past).
What was the average speed for your road trip?

OP
OP

ttshowbiz

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Occupation
Technical Consultant
Country flag
Thank you for provided a real world example of range loss. I have driven that section of I-15 many times and know about the other factor that impacts range: speed. I found the drives really boring and would drive a bit above the speed limit (in the past).
What was the average speed for your road trip?
The speed limit varies between 70, 75, and 80 mph on that trip. I don't typically speed and usually stick to the speed limit. The majority of that drive is an 80 mph zone so I'd guess my average was around 78-79 mph.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
The speed limit varies between 70, 75, and 80 mph on that trip. I don't typically speed and usually stick to the speed limit. The majority of that drive is an 80 mph zone so I'd guess my average was around 78-79 mph.
80 MPH speed is definitely going to impact range. The next test will be to drive the same route with the Cybertruck with the same load and see if it has the same range limitations. If that is the case, then we can definitely assert that the range of the trimotor is comparable to the ICE you drove.

OP
OP

ttshowbiz

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Occupation
Technical Consultant
Country flag
80 MPH speed is definitely going to impact range. The next test will be to drive the same route with the Cybertruck with the same load and see if it has the same range limitations. If that is the case, then we can definitely assert that the range of the trimotor is comparable to the ICE you drove.
I'll be taking the same route with the same load when I get the Cybertruck so I'll be sure to compare the decrease in range.

rjo71342

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
current:outlander phev, next:cybertruck
Occupation
custtomer service
Country flag
I'll be taking the same route with the same load when I get the Cybertruck so I'll be sure to compare the decrease in range.
i just sent elon a tweet to the forum and asked for him to roadtrip for testing and stats

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
The OP makes a great point that seems to be lost on most people. All ICE trucks take a huge hit on fuel economy when towing.

I'll use my buddies 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost as an example since the CT is supposed to be a class competitor. He usually gets low teens highway and mixed driving. Last fall we each took our trucks and trailers (mine is a 2wd 2003 Dodge dually Cummins 6spd with 4:10 rearend towing a 4700 pound 27' Airstream, two dirtbikes and 6500 watt Honda generator in the bed) to a enduro race in western NY. He was towing a 14' enclosed trailer with two bikes and gear.

Over the 600 trip, at 75mph he was at less than 8 mpg, down from 15. I was getting 14.7mpg down from 18-19 empty.

The diesel gets much better fuel economy loaded and unloaded compared to the gasser. Also, his truck heated up on the hills to the point where he was getting worried and had to back out of the throttle. The Cummins didn't blink an eye, never slowed down on any hill.

He recently traded in the F150 and bought a 2020 F350 diesel, $70k.

So in short, the CT will suffer the same fate while towing. I estimate a 50% reduction in range, maybe more or less depending on speed, weight, and wind resistance. I don't see why people are all up in arms over this.

jqattan56

First Name
Jamal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Mechanical Design Cosultant
Country flag
Introducing the Cyber Trailer Self-Steer Design System

Tesla, Presently, does not have a fully functional, light to medium capacity Trailer design division, and with the introduction of the CyberTruck, I believe it is the most opportune time to bring in the New CyberTrailer with self-steer system equipped trailer, as seen below.

Tesla Cybertruck ICE Loss of Range While Towing Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Towing-a-SS Traile

Please visit my YouTube “getafix56” channel for examples of the different systems in action.

The 30,000 Lbs. Solution
The question to answer is “ How can we make the 30,000 Lbs. towing by a CyberTruck a possibility, and also improving the towing efficiency?”

The most common Tow vehicle/Trailer combination, below, shows that most general-purpose trailers loading, consist of a load bearing axle or axles located on the trailer to carry ~ 88 to 92% of Gross Trailer weight rating (GTWR), while 8 to 12% is tongue loading. This is carried on the Tow vehicle hitch. The added hitch loading is passed on to the vehicle’s rear axle loading, robbing it from useful vehicle payload.

Tesla Cybertruck ICE Loss of Range While Towing Tesla-Cybertruck-01

Tesla Cybertruck ICE Loss of Range While Towing Tesla-Cybertruck-02

The Tow vehicle weight limitations are attributed by:

• Tow vehicle traction, such as heavy, battery laden Tesla such as with Models S, X and CyberTruck.
  • Standard Trailer Gross Trailer Weight (GTW = 5,000 Lbs.), when hitched to a tow vehicle, will result in weight transfer of up to ~ 12% to the tow Vehicle Hitch.
So, if say, model X, has a GVW of ~ 5,800 Lbs., with Rear Drive Axle loading at about 50% = 2,900 Lbs. This means that the Model X will experience extra hitch load of ~ 700 Lbs. which is also, Model X payload loss. This is the case with Standard Trailer design. Also, the Rear Axle Tires rolling Resistance is 24% higher.

In Pulling the plane scenario, not towing, it was only possible, with a Zero Hitch load setup. There would be no drawbar hitch load exerted on the rear suspension system, tires or axle components in the Tesla or any electric tow vehicle.

To allow electric cars, trucks and SUVs to take advantage of their true towing capabilities, trailers with Zero Tongue/Hitch Load is needed, such as the dolly Pop-trailers, (Wagon hitch set-up), or Self-steer zero tongue/ Hitch Loading trailers, as will be shown later.

Zero Tongue weight = Zero Tongue Load = Zero Hitch Load.

This also eliminates extra Tow vehicle Tires rolling resistance due to typical drawbar load transfer. This will produce a more efficient tow.

Tesla Cybertruck ICE Loss of Range While Towing Tesla-Cybertruck-03

The idea that a Tow Vehicle, with excellent torque/ traction capability, can bumper-pull a Plane or a vehicle, with a Bumper mount Tow bar, as can be observed below.

Tesla Cybertruck ICE Loss of Range While Towing Tesla-Cybertruck-04

Tesla Cybertruck ICE Loss of Range While Towing Tesla-Cybertruck-05

The Tow Bar pull, shown above; is the kind you usually see. The Plane Tow is a Zero Hitch Load setup, and the other image is of a bumper mount tow bar setup. The steer axle, of towed vehicle, is self-steering, forward caster, and hence, must always travel forward, and the driver must have an exit plan when parking.

A patented Reversible Caster, Self-Steer Axle Equipped Trailers can be maneuvered in both forward and reverse directions, while maintaining tow vehicle tracking, with zero transfer load to tow vehicle.

Tesla Cybertruck ICE Loss of Range While Towing Tesla-Cybertruck-06

Tesla Cybertruck ICE Loss of Range While Towing Tesla-Cybertruck-07

Tesla Cybertruck ICE Loss of Range While Towing Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Towing-a-SS Traile

The forward mounted reversible caster Self-Steer System eliminates:
  • Fishtailing / Porpoising, Crosswind instability,
  • Jackknifing, in both forward and reverse is greatly reduced.
  • The Light Duty trailers, shown above, can be rated between 5K to 10K approximately, and all AWD Electric Vehicles can Pull/Tow twice their GVWR. Such as, TESLA, Models 3, S, X, and later the Tesla`s Cyber Truck.
The Heavy-duty Trailer Design would rate between 10K to 30 K. for use with CyberTruck and heavier.

Attachments

S.H.Peterson

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Currently Dodge Truck owner
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
ANY vehicle towing will experience loss of range ragardless if tis ICE or EV.
Range Loss is more connected to terrain and the aerodynamics of what is towed.
If you were towing a big chunk of steel round bar on a flatbed lowboy on flat ground the mileage loss aint going to be as bad as a tall Snowbird trailer over the rockies that weighs LESS.

jqattan56

First Name
Jamal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Mechanical Design Cosultant
Country flag
Trailer will contribute to added load to rear axle loading, on tires and suspension system. The trains with tens of carts and road trains in Australia are more efficient as they act as a single heavy vehicle.
Sponsored