Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I ordered the single motor and I'm curious, does re-gen go through motors ? Meaning with a single rear axle motor does re-gen only come from that rear axle, or how does re-gen work?
Sponsored

Devix

First Name
Fabrizio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag
Correct, if you have only the rear motor, the regen applies only on it. My Model S 85 worked like that.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Those things we call "motors" are actually also generators. If you put electrical energy in mechanical energy comes out. If you put mechanical energy into one electrical energy comes out. The "inverters" (the thing that changes battery DC into AC for the motors) also gets involved. During regen they function as controlled rectifiers, turning the AC produced by the motor(s) into DC for the battery. This applies to as many motor/generators as the vehicle has.

Cody the cat

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mercury Monterey
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
Those things we call "motors" are actually also generators. If you put electrical energy in mechanical energy comes out. If you put mechanical energy into one electrical energy comes out. The "inverters" (the thing that changes battery DC into AC for the motors) also gets involved. During regen they function as controlled rectifiers, turning the AC produced by the motor(s) into DC for the battery. This applies to as many motor/generators as the vehicle has.
Thanks for helping me understand better as well.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Wait, So If I live on My Everest and I park on an incline I can do the ol Jack Benny (boy are there going to be very very few if any other Teslites get this) I can arrive at the Supercharger 50 miles with the batteries at 100%!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I have had a couple if short trips in which the SoC was greater at the destination than at the departure point and, obviously, they have been on substantially negative grade.

Now the only connection with Jack Benny I can think of is that he drove a Maxwell (or Rochester drove it for him) and the CT might have Maxwell capacitors or batteries in it.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have had a couple if short trips in which the SoC was greater at the destination than at the departure point and, obviously, they have been on substantially negative grade.

Now the only connection with Jack Benny I can think of is that he drove a Maxwell (or Rochester drove it for him) and the CT might have Maxwell capacitors or batteries in it.
Still ephing hilarious. And the mindset of the cyber folk will appreciate it....The first commercial is the one I was referring to...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I don't remember ever seeing that. I've definitely got the years but perhaps not the little grey cells.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Wait, So If I live on My Everest and I park on an incline I can do the ol Jack Benny (boy are there going to be very very few if any other Teslites get this) I can arrive at the Supercharger 50 miles with the batteries at 100%!
Your issue with Everest is its going to be too cold to use regen when you start off, would need to wait until everything is warmed up nicely ;)

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Your issue with Everest is its going to be too cold to use regen when you start off, would need to wait until everything is warmed up nicely ;)
THAT is where you are WRRRRRON-GUH! You didn't calculate global warming! HA!

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I remember seeing a story on one of the super sized dump trucks at a mining job site that was electric and it be driven up and down the mountain and would never have to be charged due to the regen by going down the mountain

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
mechanically pushing(work-energy) a conductor (wire) though a magnetic field will induce electrical current in the conductor.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The name is what makes it awesome, not the tech.
Sponsored