Jeep shows working prototype EV... With manual transmission?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeeps-magneto-concept-wrangler-ev-photos-details/

Tesla Cybertruck Jeep shows working prototype EV... With manual transmission? JeepMagneto

Interesting, and its name is... A major Marvel villain?

I've often wondered bout having a transmission - at least control of one - in an EV. For the most part, it's only really needed for speed, as the motor has the same efficiency in whatever optimal configuration. But having that direct connection to the power available is pretty cool. I rarely use the modes on my Zero, but I do use them.

-Crissa
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeeps-magneto-concept-wrangler-ev-photos-details/

JeepMagneto.png

I've often wondered bout having a transmission - at least control of one - in an EV. For the most part, it's only really needed for speed, as the motor has the same efficiency in whatever optimal configuration. But having that direct connection to the power available is pretty cool. I rarely use the modes on my Zero, but I do use them.

-Crissa
The other day I was watching some videos of a guy modding a VW bus to full electric. When it came time for a test drive, he was going from a dead stop in fourth gear easily using the electric motor.

I was thinking there might be two side effects of this.
1: If the motor has enough torque to do this, there must be incredible power in first gear. Suddenly a VW bus becomes a towing machine! So powerful it could practically bend its own frame or rip pieces of the body right off.
2: How long is the transmission even going to last? I’d bet that without very careful driving the transmission will become a regular maintenance issue.

Not sure how it works on the Jeep but it seems like a motor with 285 pound-feet of torque isn’t incredibly powerful. But mated to a 6 gear transmission would probably be very usable.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
electric jeep sounds pretty badass honestly. but they are litterally worse than a brick for aero :{
lol very true....my current ride is a 4 door sport wrangler and I really enjoy it, but I won't consider another one unless its fully electric and comparable to Tesla specs within the next 2 years before my CT gets built.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I was wondering the same thing regarding a transmission and the more YouTube videos I saw on the Magneto the more disappointing it has become. Jeep is just replacing the engine with an electric motor in the same spot with a rev limit of about 6K. The Jeep forums I belong to are most excited that it has a 6 speed manual

IMO it will either be made in very small amounts or not at all. In the latest press release I was most impressed with the Blue overlanding Gladiator

JeepMagneto.png

-Crissa

JeepMagneto.png

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

JeepMagneto.png

-Crissa
Jeep aims directly at the audience that never grew up with a manual transmission. Demand in that age bracket is off-the-charts. Its to the point that the stick shift crowd won’t even consider_anything_but a manual shift and clutch. Stick shift is the new V8.

My ‘03 Rubicon was manual. I’m here to confirm that an electric motor torque curve will simply twist Jeep drivetrain into neat little pretzels. BUT if Jeep pull it off with a liquid viscous unit between the driveline – they can sell as many as it can make.

Hazzzard122

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV ...wishing for my dual motor CT
Country flag
The whose?

If they don't change the body, why would it look any different from the outside?

-Crissa
I think theyre referring to the images of the screen stating hybrid

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag

JeepMagneto.png

-Crissa
Porsche opted for 2 speed transmission in the Taycans and next EV. Thus the same in Audi GT EV.

But it’s purely for top-speed and efficiency on the autobahn, and it’s not manual AFAIK.
Sponsored