Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So... There was a big promotion about Lordstown signing up for the San Filipe 250 with their Endurance EV pickup. I was hoping they would do well. Turns out my hope was misplaced.

Of course Lordstown had a different take:

Here is an INSIDEEVs article about it. The article was far less descriptive of the results.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Perhaps a bad comparison, but a friend in a first gen leaf did some autocross races, this is basically a parking lot racetrack, low speeds but allot of smashing the go pedal, than the stop pedal.

His leaf normally (everyday driving) got about 3.6 miles per kw/h

While doing the auto cross it was about

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Sounds like they didn't have enough support or testing for the effort.

One of the things that makes EVs different is that you feel those range differences. And if you don't have proper climb maps you won't know your range well.

My motorcycle basically has a quarter gallon of gas in energy in it. But I can get 80 miles out of it. Or 20. Depending on what I'm doing.

Range anxiety is a thing, but it's pretty easily licked once you know your vehicle.

-Crissa

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Sounds like they didn't have enough support or testing for the effort.

One of the things that makes EVs different is that you feel those range differences. And if you don't have proper climb maps you won't know your range well.

My motorcycle basically has a quarter gallon of gas in energy in it. But I can get 80 miles out of it. Or 20. Depending on what I'm doing.

Range anxiety is a thing, but it's pretty easily licked once you know your vehicle.

-Crissa
Yeah, the Endurance is supposed to have a 250-mile range. Off that vehicle, they built a race vehicle that they thought would go 60 miles (talk about range anxiety). But then they actually only got 38 miles before needing to charge.

Clearly, they had no idea how this thing was actually going to perform. One would think that they would have at least tried driving the race beforehand to get a lay of the land and their own vehicle. Of course, they probably would have been just as embarrassed if they realized ahead of time that their range was so bad and backed out before starting the race. That is what happens when you promote how great your vehicle is going to do when you are not going to be able to pull off such greatness.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Mad respect for them ACTUALLY doing it.. even if they were clearly ill prepared.. I hope they can get back out there next year. They clearly just didn't have do adequate testing.

However.. for anyone who actually watched the race.. how did the Home built Toyota 4runner do?!?!? I cant find any info on it.. This is the "shitbox" in the above twitter post.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Ha ha they tried to get back on the track at mile 105. That sounds like Lordstown Motors. Just don't do the hard parts so it looks good.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Ha ha they tried to get back on the track at mile 105. That sounds like Lordstown Motors. Just don't do the hard parts so it looks good.
Very interesting

Do you have a link to this report?

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I was answering this:
Found out they made it 152 miles before they had to call it.. Little Toyota with leaf tech did great! they had been swapping packs versus trying to re charge like Lordstown.

I have to say.. a lot of people talking crap about lordstown.. but I didn't see any other OEM's out there with EV's? They need to now re-group and come back again next year. I really think they needed a few more months of testing... seems like the truck was finished 2 weeks before the event lol This whole thing actually made me like the company more.

Also.. pretty wild they had 4X energy consumption.. that's something I did not expect!
Sponsored