Bryn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MGTF 160
Occupation
Environmental professional
Country flag
There is a lot to be said for low tech. In many situations a complex difficult to fix vehicle wouldn’t last long.
A stripped of everything but go / stop / ? Would out last & out perform a complex hi tech vehicle.
proof below …
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Why aren't they using the automated doors in the Tesla? Why did its driver have to start from the wrong side of the vehicle? Why was the Tesla not just in park, idling, like the Waverly?

So many questions.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There is a lot to be said for low tech.
There is indeed! We had a delightful afternoon yesterday driving about town in a very low tech vehicle but it did have primitive autopilot (vision only). It carried 7 people with room for more and did it on 2 HP. I can't say the trip was emissions free, however. I hope the owner went back to the one neighborhood later with a shovel.

Here's a picture of each of the HP (female in front, you can see a bit of the males head beneath her neck).
Tesla Cybertruck Low tech wins IMG_1606

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Was the 1906 Waverly electric car IN 1906 considered Low Tech? This video (though entertaining and fun) seems like a backwards and upside down take on technology through modern glasses.

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
There is indeed! We had a delightful afternoon yesterday driving about town in a very low tech vehicle but it did have primitive autopilot (vision only). It carried 7 people with room for more and did it on 2 HP. I can't say the trip was emissions free, however. I hope the owner went back to the one neighborhood later with a shovel.

Here's a picture of each of the HP (female in front, you can see a bit of the males head beneath her neck).
IMG_1606.jpg
As far as tech goes I have a hard time going that low. I can’t stop thinking about that piece of metal in her mouth constantly having to try to figure out what to do with her tongue. The emission is the only way she can express her feelings about it. But I love to have an electric Waverly.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Was the 1906 Waverly electric car IN 1906 considered Low Tech?
No but neither is that horse collar. It has to let the horse pull the wagon forward without crushing the horse's trachea and at the same time allow the horse to stop the wagon or slow it when going down hill. There are no brakes.

In any case thinking back to the days when all transportation was handled by horse should be fascinating to anyone on forums like this one. WRT emissions, they were as much of a concern back then as they are now though they went down to the road rather than up to the atmosphere. The streets of London were impassable to pedestrians. Every street corner had urchins with brooms who would clear a path to an opposite corner for a farthing or 2. I've seen articles on the amount of, uh, material that the NY sanitation department had to remove from the streets daily. Plus ça change?

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
In any case thinking back to the days when all transportation was handled by horse should be fascinating to anyone on forums like this one.
True. Our family farm had draft horses up until the early 30's and when the first tractor was bought and the horses retired, there was celebration of the work getting easier and more efficient. The farm got bigger as more tractors were purchased.

This article is eye opening about the "good old days and simpler times (Bah, I hate those terms). It is damn hard to work with only horses for income. Most hay-burners are now pleasure and sporting. I don't hate horses at all, they can be wonderful for enjoyment (but expensive for upkeep).

"Horses killed in other, more direct ways as well. As difficult as it may be to believe given their low speeds, horse-drawn vehicles were far deadlier than their modern counterparts. In New York in 1900, 200 persons were killed by horses and horse-drawn vehicles. This contrasts with 344 auto-related fatalities in New York in 2003; given the modern city’s greater population, this means the fatality rate per capita in the horse era was roughly 75 percent higher than today. Data from Chicago show that in 1916 there were 16.9 horse-related fatalities for each 10,000 horse-drawn vehicles; this is nearly seven times the city’s fatality rate per auto in 1997."

I say Neigh.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
As difficult as it may be to believe given their low speeds, horse-drawn vehicles were far deadlier than their modern counterparts. In New York in 1900, 200 persons were killed by horses and horse-drawn vehicles.
It's not really that hard to believe. Speed kills and in those days the average vehicle velocity in downtown Manhattan was appreciably higher than it is today.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
It's not really that hard to believe. Speed kills and in those days the average vehicle velocity in downtown Manhattan was appreciably higher than it is today.
Technically its actually the abrupt deceleration not velocity that kills. ;)

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Other than show horses and race horses most equines today are pasture ornaments.
Ask me how I know.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Other than show horses and race horses most equines today are pasture ornaments.
Ask me how I know.
There are also a number of ranch workhorses. A few years ago I was thrown from one because on a ranch I am basically just a tourist. But being from Nebraska, I still have a number of relatives/friends working with/on horses. And some cousins that work the rodeo circuit.

But yes, the vast majority of horses I see around Washington are just lawn ornaments.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Technically its actually the abrupt deceleration not velocity that kills. ;)

Indeed. It's not the speed but the brick wall.
Well, given the probable heart attack I'd have with the acceleration and high velocity, there is a good chance I'd be gone before the brick wall ever came into contention.
Sponsored