SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
How come there isn't a Tech forum for real maintenance opposed to just cosmetic maintenance?

I admit I didn't look at EVs prior to the CT. I still don't. So maybe the topic of this article is old news to Tesla and other EV enthusiasts, but it scares the hell out me.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...electrified-garage-did-it-for-700-165107.html

Is this common practice for EVs or is this just a Tesla thing? This practice does not seem practical for a work truck.
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
While those are exception stories, when you are the exception, it is unacceptable.

A sizable repair in the example, follow what he did and ask questions, multiple opinions and a detailed description is needed.

Batteries are the Achilles heel. Even the $800 is pricey for the work needed.

itemized

Removed belly pan $50
Retap and fit hose to housing $50
Knowing what to do $700

Still worth every penny.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The problem with putting small repairs back on the road is liability later, too.

But mostly it's fewer skus means less distribution and repair costs.

-Crissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
This is part of the right to repair movement story.

As EVs become mainstream you will see auto mechanics forced to learn these systems. Repairs like this will not need to be trailered 3-10 states away. It will be done down the block.

Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
This is part of the right to repair movement story.

As EVs become mainstream you will see auto mechanic forced to learn these systems. Repairs like this will not need to be trailered 3-10 states away. It will be done down the block.
That all depends upon Tesla's willingness to provide the diagnostics tools, service manuals and sale of parts down to the sub part. It seems they are already trying to avoid the sub part distribution in favor of the way more costly larger part assemblies.

I can see them being in line with typical manufacturers like John Deere.

In fact, I'm quite amazed there already exists the rare mechanic that people can flatbed their vehicle 3-10 states to for less costly repairs including the cost of trailering.

I, for one, would love to see a haynes manual for the cyber truck! While i avoid repairs of any parts that weigh more than me, i do enjoy tearing into my vehicles to cheaply and effectively repair minor issues that should not break the bank when parts are readily available, cheap, and extremely easy to install with any semblance of handiness.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
President Biden is already proposing to use his Executive action pen to force right to repair on cell phones. I do think the Congress and Senate would support legislation for right to repair broadly. This is a long time coming and if I’m right, Tesla will be forced to give that data out. It will be good for the consumer.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
President Biden is already proposing to use his Executive action pen to force right to repair on cell phones. I do think the Congress and Senate would support legislation for right to repair broadly. This is a long time coming and if I’m right, Tesla will be forced to give that data out. It will be good for the consumer.
Only on cell phones? I know a number of farmers who are chomping at the bit for similar rights regarding farm implements.

And of course, there is the DIY crowd that wants to do the same for pretty much any other device around.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
First steps, first.
Walk before you run.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
That all depends upon Tesla's willingness to provide the diagnostics tools, service manuals and sale of parts down to the sub part. It seems they are already trying to avoid the sub part distribution in favor of the way more costly larger part assemblies.

I can see them being in line with typical manufacturers like John Deere.

In fact, I'm quite amazed there already exists the rare mechanic that people can flatbed their vehicle 3-10 states to for less costly repairs including the cost of trailering.

I, for one, would love to see a haynes manual for the cyber truck! While i avoid repairs of any parts that weigh more than me, i do enjoy tearing into my vehicles to cheaply and effectively repair minor issues that should not break the bank when parts are readily available, cheap, and extremely easy to install with any semblance of handiness.
An opportunity for third party talent to service the need first.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
First steps, first.
Walk before you run.
Please no running while using your cell phone. It's hard enough to keep the young ones alive when they are walking around with their heads in their screens.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
How come there isn't a Tech forum for real maintenance opposed to just cosmetic maintenance?

I admit I didn't look at EVs prior to the CT. I still don't. So maybe the topic of this article is old news to Tesla and other EV enthusiasts, but it scares the hell out me.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...electrified-garage-did-it-for-700-165107.html

Is this common practice for EVs or is this just a Tesla thing? This practice does not seem practical for a work truck.
I'd like to make a distinction between maintenance and repair. You are asking about "maintenance" which I believe actually encompasses things like regularly scheduled work that would be done to keep your vehicle in good shape. Think brake pad replacements, wiper blade replacements, windshield fluid fill-up, tire alignments, etc.

But the example you gave is for a "repair" which is more like when something that was working or was solidly strong, suddenly becomes unreliable or unusable. In these cases, one needs to diagnose, observe, troubleshoot, the system and then either adjust, replace, repair, or remove something so return the vehicle to working / acceptable order.

In ICE vehicles these 2 activities are often done by the same team in the same location. And the maintenance activities are often used to supplement the work of the repairs to even out the workload and keep qualified staff on the job so that when a new repair comes in they will be available.

In the case of EVs though, much of the maintenance work goes away or is at least only needed at much less frequency. Or it gets simplified enough that the owner can just do it themselves. For instance, I'm not going to take my EV into the shop just to add window fluid.

In the current marketplace where there are far fewer EVs than ICE vehicles, the cost of doing EV repair work needs to be fully subsidized by repairs. And there is not enough of this work available yet to get the costs down to levels matching ICE. Plus without the same number of repairs around, there are far fewer repair shops around to be used so there is far less competition in play.

So for the moment, I would expect EV repairs to cost considerably more than ICE repairs. Over time though, I expect that to be reversed.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I can do the repair… what’s this orange colored wire?

I have some studying to do before I would attempt any repair with the power system. Even need to research maintenance procedures so I will curse less.

My wrenching days where all needed to be checked, spark, fuel and… let’s spray some starter fluid. ? Maybe a few things more but simple.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I can do the repair… what’s this orange colored wire?

I have some studying to do before I would attempt any repair with the power system. Even need to research maintenance procedures so I will curse less.

My wrenching days where all needed to be checked, spark, fuel and… let’s spray some starter fluid. ? Maybe a few things more but simple.
That is a whole nother aspect of it unrelated to whether owners can attempt to do their own repairs... That's whether they should do their own repairs!

Anyone doing their own repairs hopefully recognizes the limits of their own abilities and avoids any repairs that they cannot handle.

I would never touch anything related to power supply, batteries or electronics in a ct as I'm sure much of that is beyond my personal scope. Unfortunate, that leaves a much smaller list of repairs i would personally attempt compared to an ice vehicle. But i still sure would love to see it in the Haynes manual and know that if i were a more adventurous person, i could tackle it if i felt inclined to.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I'd like to make a distinction between maintenance and repair. You are asking about "maintenance" which I believe actually encompasses things like regularly scheduled work that would be done to keep your vehicle in good shape. Think brake pad replacements, wiper blade replacements, windshield fluid fill-up, tire alignments, etc.

But the example you gave is for a "repair" which is more like when something that was working or was solidly strong, suddenly becomes unreliable or unusable. In these cases, one needs to diagnose, observe, troubleshoot, the system and then either adjust, replace, repair, or remove something so return the vehicle to working / acceptable order.

In ICE vehicles these 2 activities are often done by the same team in the same location. And the maintenance activities are often used to supplement the work of the repairs to even out the workload and keep qualified staff on the job so that when a new repair comes in they will be available.

In the case of EVs though, much of the maintenance work goes away or is at least only needed at much less frequency. Or it gets simplified enough that the owner can just do it themselves. For instance, I'm not going to take my EV into the shop just to add window fluid.

In the current marketplace where there are far fewer EVs than ICE vehicles, the cost of doing EV repair work needs to be fully subsidized by repairs. And there is not enough of this work available yet to get the costs down to levels matching ICE. Plus without the same number of repairs around, there are far fewer repair shops around to be used so there is far less competition in play.

So for the moment, I would expect EV repairs to cost considerably more than ICE repairs. Over time though, I expect that to be reversed.
Call it whatever you want. My point is Tesla wanted $16k for a repair that was pretty simple and certainly did not require a full battery pack swap out. This seems pretty wasteful. More specifically, this type of thing is bound to happen more often in a truck bound for the off road. If every little repair is going to come with 4 or 5 figure bill from Tesla our insurance is going to be...
Sponsored