Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So I'm starting to notice how I am responding to "Giga". Seems like it is everywhere these days. In some ways, it reminds me of the "Mc" from McDonald's and the "i" from Apple's products iPhone, iMac, etc. I know that McDonald's is pretty sue-happy around protecting the "Mc" designation on products. Over the years there have been multiple stories of mom and pop stores having to rename after being sued by McDonald's. And if I remember correctly Apple has in the past sued to keep people from using the "i" designation on their own products.

"Giga" though is a little different. For one, it has a size definition (compared to the "Mc" and "i" which are purely marketing). Plus, so far I have not seen Tesla trying to protect the "Giga" designation to keep it for itself. I don't have current sources but I do have memory of hearing/seeing "Giga" used in designation of other company factories (mostly in wishful thinking about building their own gigafactory).

So while I do feel a bit inundated by "Giga" at the moment, it might partially be because I'm constantly following items related to Tesla and Tesla has a lot of "Giga" references. I'm curious if the rest of the population is hearing the "Giga" designation nearly as often.

Additionally, since "Giga" has a size definition, there could possibly be a future in which Tesla (or some other company) decides to best that and develop a terrafactory. Or heaven forbid, a petafactory. I'm guessing a terrafactory would be about the largest size that would be practical for being earth based. Petafactories would probably need to be space based or at least moon based. Imagine a petafactory on the moon producing the next iteration of starships. We might be into the beginnings of StartTrek level space travel by then.
Sponsored