m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
Just got signed up on the board today. I put my order right after the event; hopefully the initial kinks will be worked out by the time I take delivery.

Also, I have a NEMA 14-50 set up for our AirBnB guests in Duluth: https://airbnb.com/h/duluth. Come up and see the Fall colors (and get charged up).
Welcome to group! Thanks for sharing the link! Will definitely keep this in mind.
Sponsored

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004-ish Toyota RAV4, 2015 Nissan Leaf, & 1973 Chevy Suburban w 454 [RIP 2008-ish Kia Sportage].
Occupation
E
Country flag
Here's another CT reservation holder from Minnesota.
(South Minneapolis, almost within hearing range of where the G.F. riots took place.)

On October 6th, 2006 I heard or read the news that Mitzubishi was going to have yet ONE MORE DELAY in bringing their "Outlander" plug-in-hybrid crossover vehicle to the United States. That was the last straw. That same evening I placed my reservation, RN108117924, for a Model 3. As things turned out, I did end up getting my money back on THAT reservation, but that was mainly because I subsequently placed a DIFFERENT reservation, RN109523095, for a Model Y. That purchase is remains on hold (details below re Austin vrs. Fremont).

As for the CT...
I placed my first CT reservation on the night of the big reveal event (the 21st), however my confirmation E-mail claims I waited until 3am of the following morning (the 22nd). {I suspect the servers were a bit busy that night.}
==========
RN Found: 112752352 RN Date: 11/22/2019 3:00:00 AM CST
RN Location: Minneapolis, MN RN Count: 1
RN Trim: Dual Motor Full Self Driving
-
Est Position: 7,405
Est Position for Trim: 2,436
Est Delivery Month: 6/13/2022
==========

That same night, I realized that I was late in paying the tabs on our then Nissan Leaf. So, the very next morning, the 22nd, I went into the local DMV service center, and bought the rights to the license plate: "CYBRTRK". As detailed elsewhere, those plates HAD been on a Nissan Leaf. When we traded that in on a Chevy Volt, the CYBRTRK plates got moved over to my Orange 1973 Chevy C10 Suburban (Garage Queen with ~78k miles; it's for Sale!)

I semi-regularly attend the MN EV Owners group meetings; they take place 6:30-8:30PM, generally the 2nd Thursday. Prior to COVID-19, the meetings had been held at the MN Lung Association (490 Concordia Ave, St Paul, MN 55103); I hope/expect the meetings to return there before the summer is over.

Thanks to COVID however, the meeting are now taking place via "Zoom"...
Jukka Kukkonen, MN EV Owners coordinator
651 428 3155, [email protected]
www.MNEVOwners.org , www.facebook.com/groups/mnevowners/
MNEVO is a chapter of EAA www.ElectricAuto.org

Before buying a new Tesla of ANY MODEL, I am waiting for GigaAustin to be finished. My hope is that the 2004 Toyota RAV4 (low miles) and the 2016 Chevy Volt (high miles) will not get wrecked or require a major mechanical repair before then. The plan is to first get a CyberTruck and sell the '73 Chevy Suburban and keep either the Volt or RAV4 for my daughter. At that point we will wait as long as practical then decide: Do we sell and/or trade in the RAV4 as a part of getting a Model Y for my wife? {Eventually my son will need a car, but that's three or four years down the road.}

About paint:
I really want to avoid buying a Tesla Y that was made in Fremont because of the paint. I expect the different chemical laws, plus the newer more modern paint facilities at Austin will solve a lot of problems that Tesla has with their paint finishes. One more reason to wait as long as I can.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

MUCH later on, I thought about a CT for my wife and kids. They are very UNLIKELY to want a CT (they insult it's appearance almost daily). In any case, I figured I could loan Tesla $200 at zero interest for a while, and so I placed two more reservations for a just-in-case scenario.
==========
No: RN114134822
Medium/2-motor from Oct. 25, 2020
No.: RN114134819
Low/1-motor from Oct. 25, 2020.
==========

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
About paint:
I really want to avoid buying a Tesla Y that was made in Fremont because of the paint. I expect the different chemical laws, plus the newer more modern paint facilities at Austin will solve a lot of problems that Tesla has with their paint finishes. One more reason to wait as long as I can.
Tesla does not use special paint in California due to "chemical laws". They use the same kind of water based polyurethane automotive paint all modern manufacturers use around the world. It's an urban myth that California laws require a different paint and it was likely started by TSLAQ types to dissuade sales of Tesla's.

California is more strict on regulating VOC's but this is just a function of how many vehicles they can paint with existing air handling equipment.

The only reason Tesla's paint might be initially softer than other makes is because a Tesla gets manufactured and delivered very quickly. There is very little time sitting on lots in the sun like all other brands tend to experience. Automotive paint continues to cure and become harder after it leaves the factory. The paint on a Tesla will match the hardness of the paint on other quality cars when cured an equal amount of time. Most curing is done in two months unless temperatures are very cold. Strong sun will cure it more quickly.

People who don't like Tesla will forcibly propagate these rumors. Only some are fooled.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Elon Musk gave an interview with Sandy Munro. Sandy specifically called him to task on the inconsistent paint quality out of Fremont factory. Elon said they found they needed to have the paint dry for 2 more seconds. It isn’t about the “California paint.”

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There are some volatile dyes that can't be used at the retail level in California; but at the industrial level, it's just a matter of air and water reclamation.

California was where the most superfund sites were, and we've had entire aquifers and rivers made permanently undrinkable because of industrial and extractive uses. Hence being a bit careful about what we release into the environment.

-Crissa

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004-ish Toyota RAV4, 2015 Nissan Leaf, & 1973 Chevy Suburban w 454 [RIP 2008-ish Kia Sportage].
Occupation
E
Country flag
But they'll announce a new model and new technology before you get your Model Y. What will you do then?

-Crissa
I don't understand your point.
The only "New Model" I care about is the CyberTruck, and paint is not an issue on that topic.

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
E
Country flag
Tesla does not use special paint in California due to "chemical laws". They use the same kind of water based polyurethane automotive paint all modern manufacturers use around the world. It's an urban myth that California laws require a different paint and it was likely started by TSLAQ types to dissuade sales of Tesla's.

California is more strict on regulating VOC's but this is just a function of how many vehicles they can paint with existing air handling equipment.

The only reason...
-- CLIP --
...some are fooled.
Huh. OK. Learn something new every day.
But my priorities remain the same:
- CyberTruck for ME first.
- Then the "Y" for my wife, and the Volt for my daughter.

OP
OP
m.delmed129

m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
(South Minneapolis, almost within hearing range of where the G.F. riots took place.)

On October 6th, 2006 I heard or read the news that Mitzubishi was going to have yet ONE MORE DELAY in bringing their "Outlander" plug-in-hybrid crossover vehicle to the United States. That was the last straw. That same evening I placed my reservation, RN108117924, for a Model 3. As things turned out, I did end up getting my money back on THAT reservation, but that was mainly because I subsequently placed a DIFFERENT reservation, RN109523095, for a Model Y. That purchase is remains on hold (details below re Austin vrs. Fremont).

As for the CT...
I placed my first CT reservation on the night of the big reveal event (the 21st), however my confirmation E-mail claims I waited until 3am of the following morning (the 22nd). {I suspect the servers were a bit busy that night.}
==========
-
==========

That same night, I realized that I was late in paying the tabs on our then Nissan Leaf. So, the very next morning, the 22nd, I went into the local DMV service center, and bought the rights to the license plate: "CYBRTRK". As detailed elsewhere, those plates HAD been on a Nissan Leaf. When we traded that in on a Chevy Volt, the CYBRTRK plates got moved over to my Orange 1973 Chevy C10 Suburban (Garage Queen with ~78k miles; it's for Sale!)

I semi-regularly attend the MN EV Owners group meetings; they take place 6:30-8:30PM, generally the 2nd Thursday. Prior to COVID-19, the meetings had been held at the MN Lung Association (490 Concordia Ave, St Paul, MN 55103); I hope/expect the meetings to return there before the summer is over.

Before buying a new Tesla of ANY MODEL, I am waiting for GigaAustin to be finished. My hope is that the 2004 Toyota RAV4 (low miles) and the 2016 Chevy Volt (high miles) will not get wrecked or require a major mechanical repair before then. The plan is to first get a CyberTruck and sell the '73 Chevy Suburban and keep either the Volt or RAV4 for my daughter. At that point we will wait as long as practical then decide: Do we sell and/or trade in the RAV4 as a part of getting a Model Y for my wife? {Eventually my son will need a car, but that's three or four years down the road.}

About paint:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

MUCH later on, I thought about a CT for my wife and kids. They are very UNLIKELY to want a CT (they insult it's appearance almost daily). In any case, I figured I could loan Tesla $200 at zero interest for a while, and so I placed two more reservations for a just-in-case scenario.
==========
==========

Welcome to the MN thread!

As for the CT...
==========
-
==========

About paint:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

==========
==========

Welcome to the MN club! Great to have another one of us to see driving around in the future!

Cannot wait to see you driving around somewhere. Hopefully we’ll pass each other on 62, 94, 35, or anywhere in the cities!

I’ll have to look at the local group. I’ve been an owner for a while, and it would be good to meet others, especially when I have a CT to arrive in!

Treddle

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volkswagen
Occupation
Commercial Driver
Country flag
I’m feeling good about Q3/Q4 2021 deliveries being started. Site has been selected as of their Q2 results, and prep is underway. I’m calling earlier than anticipated deliveries on small scale, and scaling through 2021. You may see yours in 3 years as I’m assuming a healthy majority won’t even configure when it’s their time.

Regardless of that, we at least have a few of us in the state that may get them sooner, but my offer will stand once I get mine! Happy to let any of the MN crew get hands on with it, if I get mine sooner than the others!
I have been watching the progress of the TeraFactory construction in Austin. You may be closer to the production dates than I am. They already have robots being installed and haven’t even finished putting the walls on the steel frame portion yet.
Musk has hinted the CT will have no door handles. Probably a thumb scanner built into the door pillars.
I listened to a YouTube channel called Tesla Daily. He heard about a company phone conference. One of the topics that the YouTuber couldn’t specifically talk about but he said expect big news from Tesla later this year. The number of things it could be boggles the mind. A new factory in India or England or both? A new battery?

randyvalt

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Occupation
Tax/Accounting professional
Country flag
I placed my first CT reservation on the night of the big reveal event (the 21st), I have reservation RN112754773, which is tri-motor and full self driving. Hopefully, I can make it fit in my garage.

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
E
Country flag
TOPIC: Xcel EVSE Pilot Program (They're NOT Chargers!)

I've come across some interesting information re public EVSE stations ("Charging Stations") in the Xcel energy service area.
{Note for non-Minnesotans: Before a merger, Xcel was better known as NSP, 'Northern States Power'. It may not be the largest electrical utility in Minnesota by area, but it's likely second. It is the largest by population and presumably by kW capacity. Utilities in WI, ND, SD, CO NM & TX share the same parent company.}

=====

The short version:
In MN, Xcel is starting a pilot program of public charging stations with roughly 75 to 80 different locations, generally (but perhaps not completely) concentrated in the Twin Cities area (Minneapolis & St. Paul metro area in Minnesota).

MOST, but likely not all, of these locations have 4 stations with 60 amp breakers. The model of EVSE ("Charger") is not known at this time.

=====

The slightly Longer version:
The typical installation starts at a wood pole, with a pair of paralleled cable sets come down the pole. Apparently 4/0 for the pair of hot conductors and 2/0 for the neutral, paralleled for six total conductors in two pipes. (Probably with type 'USE' insulation.) The paralleled hots feed a Milbank cabinet with a meter and a 400 Amp main, which in turn feed four 60 Amp circuit breakers. These four breakers feed two conduits that pass their conductors to TWO pads, each of which will have two "Chargers" (EVSEs!), for a total of four "Chargers" ("EVSEs!") per location.

Note that the 75-80 number does not include a number of school bus garages and their associated EVSEs ("Chargers"). Some have been finished, more have not. Quantities uncertain, possibly 3 to 12 locations (for now); this information uncertain.
Unknown how many "chargers" per location is typical.
Also unknown is how many electric school buses have been purchased per location.

=====

If you find out more information, please share it.

There is very little information available at the PUC (Public Utilities Commission) web site. Apparently Xcel asked the PUC for permission to do the pilot program, and were told to skip the paperwork, and just "go forth and..." try out their ideas. (Paraphrase of PUC person's comments.)

To see what little there is (on THIS topic), go to the MN DOC Efiling (state.mn.us) web site:
https://www.edockets.state.mn.us/EF...eDocketsSearch&searchType=new&userType=public
...Then select "20" under the drop down menu, and in the box to its right, type in "745". You're trying to get to a list of documents all under the "20-745" docket number. As of this writing, the list is 82 documents long.

Note that while Xcel may be uncomfortable with any of the above information getting out, I have not heard that it is secret or confidential information.

=====

Flad11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck someday
Country flag
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone plans on changing their reservation since it’ll be another year and with the quad motor being an option. I have a dual reserved and wouldn’t mind going to the tri motor but it depends on price.
The upside of waiting is I can save more for the down payment.

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
I'm in St Paul, have a Model Y and am a member of the MN Tesla club on Facebook.
My delivery position is about 450k.
I ordered the tri- motor but will buy whatever is earliest.
Some people in this thread have multiple reservations earlier than mine. DON'T FORFEIT. Buy both and sell me one. I will pay a premium to get one earlier. Contact me. JF

Flad11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck someday
Country flag
I plan on waiting till my spot comes up. I’m wondering how many people in MN have a reservation and if it’s not that many, will we all get ours around the same time since they’ll likely want to deliver regionally.
I’ll upgrade if the cost of affordable. Hopefully we’ll get some news at the end of this month.
Sponsored