Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Last edited:

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The break even point depends on how much you drive per year. If you don't drive much at all, then it could be many years. Some of us that drive a lot will break even in a year or less.
To me, it is not so much about money. It is a lifestyle issue that goes beyond saving the planet with my small car.

chlpat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Patent Attorney
Country flag
It is good to see that environmental "break even" calculations are being done and there is concerted push back against the EV 'haters' who spread misinformation on social media and elsewhere. There are still OP ED writers, such as Charles Lane in the Washington Post, who do the same in print whenever they see an opportunity - see for example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ly-electric-vehicles/?itid=lk_inline_manual_3

Economists used to ignore environmental and health benefits and harms, and refer to them as "externalities." In economics, "externalities" refers to situations when the effect of production or consumption of goods and services imposes costs or benefits on others which are not reflected in the prices charged for the goods and services being provided.

$4.00/gallon for example gasoline grossly undervalues the true cost, i.e., the cost to human health, society and the planet itself, which is much higher.

However, since the future of the planet and human civilization/life hereon is at risk without a major shift away from carbon-based energy use, maybe the intrinsic value of switching to an EV should be "priceless?"

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
It is good to see that environmental "break even" calculations are being done and there is concerted push back against the EV 'haters' who spread misinformation ....

Economists used to ignore environmental and health benefits and harms, and refer to them as "externalities." ....

$4.00/gallon for example gasoline grossly undervalues the true cost, i.e., the cost to human health, society and the planet itself, which is much higher.

However, since the future of the planet and human civilization/life hereon is at risk without a major shift away from carbon-based energy use, maybe the intrinsic value of switching to an EV should be "priceless?"
That's a VERY unconvincing argument. But don't listen to me; go on with it, see how many people agree with you that the human race is doomed if we don't all buy electric cars.

Then again, if it sounds ridiculous it quite likely is. What do you think?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That's a VERY unconvincing argument. But don't listen to me; go on with it, see how many people agree with you that the human race is doomed if we don't all buy electric cars.

Then again, if it sounds ridiculous it quite likely is. What do you think?
Almost 4% of world emissions is transportation in the US alone.

There's no one trick which will solve everything. Just lots of little things. If everyone else wants to travel as much as Americans do, we'll need alot more electric transportation.

-Crissa
Sponsored