Biden Wants Extra Incentive For Union-Built Electric Cars—Which Would Exclude Teslas

Status
Not open for further replies.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
LOL as if this will affect Tesla in the least. But they are clearly picking on Tesla like they're some big bully. Seems odd. The union tax credit is quite the good Samaritan ploy clearly decided on by Lobbyists to specifically exclude Tesla. Not that it'll matter.

In the long run, I think this is a good move for the planet.
sounds like discrimination to me.....why penalize some company for not being unionized.....isn't that an employee decision.....
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Wonder if Elon would consider a tri motor model with 100 mile range for $39,000. But you can buy a 400 mile range extension later as an OTA update for $31k.? :sneaky:
They did something like this in Canada. Not exactly, but Tesla won't hesitate to pull crazy shenanigans to secure government subsidies.

JudgeMetal

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The article kind of spells it out. They want to make EVs more accessible to lower middle-class families without making it into a big subsidy for the wealthy.

I'm Ok with it personally. Subsidizing $70k cars is a big handout for people who are already pretty well off.

Most of us have already said we'd buy the Cybertruck regardless of the subsidy. What exactly is the incentive doing then?
You do realize that the people building the cars aren’t rich?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This makes a lot more sense as a policy that is suppose to influence decisions. Not only buyers, also manufacturers. Much faster impact on number of EVs on the road in the next 10 years and much better use of tax money.

My question is the point of sale incentive means the incentive is the same for the person making $99K and the person making $30K a year for the same car?

They shouldn’t care who it is that buys them as long as they are bought. Even if only wealthy people bought them they would still end up in he hands of less wealthy people in a couple years when Richie Rich decides he needs the new Cybertruck 2.0 and sells his first CT to his gardener for much less. In the end their goal will be met even if only the so called wealthy purchase now.
I disagree. They should care who buys them. With this policy, the rich dude still buys the EV without the incentive but the poor guy that was going to buy an ICE over a more expensive EV or a hand me down old EV with lost range and lost warrantee now will choose to buy the new EV so with the same tax money, you will have two EVs on the road instead of one much earlier.

Secondly, trucks are the most polluting, and their average price is $10k higher than the average car.
Great point. The question is, will the people that are looking at CT3 and Lightening top trims switch to ICE because of it? I think the likely impact is more ICE shoppers will switch to Lightening Pro and CT1.

Last edited:

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
With a 40k cap hardly anyone, rich or poor, would be able to take advantage of the incentive on a CT. Only the 2WD short range model would be applicable and very few would buy. I would have no use for it and would in turn buy an ice if I was unable to spend more. That‘s goes along with previous post

Dawgfan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JL Jeep, Chevy S10, Infiniti Q60
Country flag
This is the last straw. Nobody will buy the Cybertruck it is late and can’t be made for what they said it can be made for… What was the thread about again?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
With a 40k cap hardly anyone, rich or poor, would be able to take advantage of the incentive on a CT. Only the 2WD short range model would be applicable and very few would buy. I would have no use for it and would in turn buy an ice if I was unable to spend more. That‘s goes along with previous post
Are you able to spend more?

Everyone here is here without incentives.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Just keep in mind the "expertly trained" service technicians Ford & GM have waiting to work on your new fangled eleectrick veehickel.

Don't believe me, just ask the couple that took their Mustang Mach-E in for a 3 week planned in advance service appointment and were told by the service manager they could not touch the vehicle and to take it somewhere else for work. Ford is selling cars the stealerships can't handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.