Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
Musk was a surprise guest last night on the Third Row Tesla videocast.

My favorite part from Musk: “A lot of times these trucks, it’s like, ‘okay, who’s got the most badass truck. Well ours is not even a truck. It’s a fri@#!in’ tank from the future.” :eek:

Full article by Tesmanian: https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/elon-musk-tesla-cybertruck-production-sandy-munro

According to Musk, Cybertruck production should be smooth. However, he also shared that sometimes things can become more complicated as they progress.

“In theory, Cybertruck should be easy. I want to make sure that that theory actually comes to reality because it’s possible to make anything complex—you know…I mean complexity is the devil, fighting that is very difficult,” said Elon Musk.

Musk did name one complexity that could arise during the Cybertruck’s mass production, related to the pickup’s exoskeleton. An exoskeleton like the Cybertruck’s had been suggested to other automakers in the past—which Sandy Munro attested to during the podcast interview—but only Tesla had the guts approve it for production.

CYBERTRUCK’S EXOSKELETON
When it comes to the Cybertruck, an engineer would need to reconfigure their thinking because an exoskeleton design has yet to make it to an actual automaker’s production line. As Elon Musk pointed out: “In theory, the Cybertruck should be straightforward from a body standpoint. But it does require the vehicle engineering to kind of refactor their thinking to an exoskeleton instead of an endoskeleton approach.”

Sandy Munro believes the exoskeleton approach could work, and his company—Munro & Associates—has recommended it to automakers in the past, but none of them ever approved the suggestion. According to Munro, car stylists didn’t like the idea.

Munro &Associates suggested an exoskeleton for an airplane because the company found many benefits to the approach. Munro ticked off all the possible benefits to Tesla’s exoskeleton approach, including:
  • Less tooling
  • Easier build
  • Decreases Costs
  • Fewer Components with more rigidity
  • Less wind noise
  • More Interior Space
  • One-tenth the assembly cost
AUTOMATION IN THE CYBERTRUCK’S PRODUCTION LINE
Third Row member Omar Qazi posed a question to Elon Musk about automation in Tesla’s Gigafactories. Musk’s reply may have hinted the direction Tesla could take with the Cybertruck’s production line. From his response, Tesla could opt to find a balance between automation and manual labor. The company may also decide to remove parts as they continue to improve Cybertruck production.

“You have to understand; it’s not like everything’s manual, or everything is automated. There’s like a whole lot of robots and a lot of people. And depending upon what portion of the production process you’re looking at, it’s either going to lend itself to a lot of automation or lend itself to a lot of manual work.

“And then over time, you’re able to take some of the manual stuff and automate that or ideally delete the part, delete the process. Then you don’t need a robot or a person. I can’t emphasize that enough. That is the absolute thing to aim for. In fact, [I would say] the number one mistake of star engineers is optimizing a thing that shouldn’t exist,” said Elon Musk.

Sandy Munro drove Musk’s point even further when he said, “That’s precisely what we tell our customers all the time.” The expert auto consultant emphasized the importance of reducing the number of parts in a vehicle during the concept phase to everyone participating in the interview.

Sandy Munro seemed to agree with most of the points and thoughts Elon Musk shared about the mass production of the Tesla Cybertruck, which bodes well for the pickup truck’s assembly line. Munro seems to be supportive of the Cybertruck. He ordered five of them.

Munro told Elon Musk that Tesla created a whole new market with the Cybertruck. He called the CYRTRK a perfect sports vehicle for a person like him, who goes hunting and spends time outdoors.

Munro’s opinion of the Cybertruck was not the overwhelming majority when it was unveiled. It received mixed reviews, even from the Tesla community, mostly due to its design.

But Elon Musk didn’t seem too concerned about how the Cybertruck looked. Musk said he cared more about how the product moved people’s hearts and how the Cybertruck could influence other automakers to take a step into the present.

“A lot of times these trucks, it’s like, ‘okay, who’s got the most badass truck. Well ours is not even a truck. It’s a fri@#!in’ tank from the future,” he said. It seems like the future is now, and Tesla is ready to meet it head-on.

Tesla Cybertruck Musk Discusses Cybertruck Production on Videocast: “It’s a fri@#!in’ tank from the future” Musk videocast
Sponsored

Last edited:

ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
This statement is telling:

Sandy Munro believes the exoskeleton approach could work, and his company—Munro & Associates—has recommended it to automakers in the past, but none of them ever approved the suggestion. According to Munro, car stylists didn’t like the idea.

Show how conservative and derivative car companies and designers usually are. And probably even more so when it comes to styling a pickup since those buyers hate change. But I bet lots of those automakers are kicking themselves now that they see how popular the stainless steel exoskeleton look without curves can be. Question is are we going to see copycats eventually?

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I’ll bet that copy cats will come first from the likes of Hyundai / Kia and the Chinese and they will attempt to claim themselves as the original design brains. Lol. :D.

First Name
Cyberland Bound
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cyberlandbound.com
Vehicles
Dual Motor
Country flag
Glad Munro and Elon talk a little bit about the Cybertruck’s off-road/adventuring capability. It may compete strongly against SUVs as well as pickup trucks. Or it may create a completely new market for buyers that want a crazy capable vehicle but don’t want to suffer the 12-20mpg fuel efficiency and constant maintenance costs that they would incur with current adventure-oriented vehicles.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I’ll bet that copy cats will come first from the likes of Hyundai / Kia and the Chinese and they will attempt to claim themselves as the original design brains. Lol. :D.
At this point, everyone is pretty much screwed. If they copy it, they're just johnny-come-latelies trying to cash in on the Cybermadness. If they don't copy it, well then they're just going to keep making the same old crap they've been making. I tell you, I have bought my last ICE vehicle, it's time for a change, time for a vehicle that'll last me the rest of my days without rusting all to shit.

Last edited:

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
At this point, everyone is pretty much screwed. If they copy it, they're just johnny-come-latelies trying to cash in on the Cybermadness. If they don't copy it, well then they're just going to keep making the same old crap they've been making. I tell you, I have bought my last ICE vehicle, it's time for a change, time for a vehicle that'll last me the rest of my days without rusting all to shit.
Well the thing about most of the Korean and Chinese automakers is that they don’t really care about the copycat stigma. They know very well that’s the only way to break into the market. Once they establish themselves with the copy, then everyone else if at all they decide to copy, will be actually behind them.
Many times thick skin works, and public memory is short. Once a lot of cheaper vehicles are available in the market, many will simply buy the cheapest.

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Include myself in the club too. I’ve also already bought my last ICE vehicle. Tesla all the way for me now. Will probably start with Y if it works out.

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Silverado,
Occupation
Retired scientist
Country flag
"Robots are bad at wiring" was my new learning from this.
Sponsored