Nikola Motors Is stating that they have 5-10% higher energy density in batteries than Tesla?!

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Reading this article it sure seems like they are copying a lot of the play book from Tesla.

https://apple.news/AMs0v7ToCSWCITtVpDF7now

Nikola Founder on Tesla's Elon Musk: Competition 'Brings Good Results'

Nikola's founder Trevor Milton said that competition 'brings good results,' so how will Nikola distinguish itself from Tesla?

Nikola is officially a public company under the ticker NKLA.

This means that there are two public companies named after the famous engineer--Nikola and Tesla.

So, how will Nikola distinguish itself from Tesla?

Nikola executive chairman and founder Trevor Milton joined TheStreet to talk about his company and why--despite being compared to Tesla CEO Elon Musk--the two are different.

Watch the full video above.

Video Transcript:

Katherine Ross:
Now, it can't be lost on investors and yourself that we now have Tesla and Nikola both as two separate public companies, how do you plan on distinguishing yourself from Tesla going forward?

Trevor Milton:
Yeah, I mean it's, it's kinda cool that, uh, that the greatest engineer the world has ever seen, which is Nikola Tesla, the gu- the Croatian-Serbian engineer. It's amazing that the two companies are making more disruption around the world, Tesla and also Nikola, are both named after him, Nikola Tesla, and I think that's like one of the coolest things in the world. And, eh, the world knows that we're really the experts in heavy-duty transportation, um, and electrification, and the world knows that Tesla's really focused on the, uh, electrification and home residential storage of, of battery and energy. Um, so I, I think it's easy enough for people to distinguish, but it's also a really awesome story to think about where that name came from.

Katherine Ross:
I was scrolling through your Twitter feed and I saw a couple of investors ask you about your battery, and how it compares to Tesla, so for the average investor who's watching this interview right now can you break down the differences between the two?

Trevor Milton:
Yeah, so I mean the current batteries right now between Tesla and Nikola there's not that much difference. We have about, we might have five or 10% more energy density then they do, but honestly, it's not really that important, everyone has batteries now around the world that's really not that cool. Um, when you get into really big batteries it becomes more complex, and that's what Nikola does, we do humongous batteries, and that's taken a lot of work to get those to work. Um, Tesla's working on new battery technology, it's supposed to remove a lot of the expensive materials out of the, out of the battery. With Nikola we've done the same thing, but i- honestly these big battery companies like LG, Samsung and, and Panasonic, they're all gonna be cutting edge leading of battery tech. So there's ... W- We, we innovate technology, and then we hand it off to those guys to commercialize it.

Trevor Milton:
So I don't think it's a ... the batteries only one part, the real big one is your full vertical integration, and that's what sets Nikola apart from Tesla is we own all the energy all of our vehicles consume, or most of our vehicles consume, and, uh, that's really, we're vertically integrated, it's a key to Nikola success.

Katherine Ross:
I've seen a lot of articles that interviewed you or covered you ahead of the IPO, a lot of them said that you share a lot of characteristics with Elon Musk. I'm curious to know what your thoughts are, do you agree with that?

Trevor Milton:
I mean, uh, I'm, I'm definitely a, I'm definitely a lot different than him, but I mean I ... Most entrepreneurs, whether you look at, you know, Steve Jobs or any of these guys that have really created a company from the ground up, they're all very similar in personality because it takes someone a little bit crazy to be able to, um, go out on a limb, risk everything in your life, get criticized by everyone, raise capital, protect your company, build a business model that works, fight the political landscape and still come out ahead. It's damn near and nearly impossible to do, and it takes a specific personality. So a lot of us that found, that like built multi-billion dollar companies were very similar in some ways but were very different in others.

Trevor Milton:
And, uh, I have, I have no beef with, with Elon, I think he's a cool cat. I don't know him personally, um, uh, you know, but we're, we're definitely his competitor, so, you know, that's one thing to keep in mind is, uh, is, is competition brings good results bu- uh, from everybody.

You can follow Katherine Ross on Twitter at @byKatherineRoss.

Read more from Katherine Ross here.

Watch More of the Latest Videos on TheStreet and Jim Cramer

How Magic Johnson Became the Business Icon He Is Today

Bill Gates Reveals His Five Favorite Books for Summer 2020

C-Suite: Surgical Solutions CEO on Surgeries Post-Pandemic

C-Suite: Covanta CEO: NYC Residential Waste Is Down
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The one clear distinction I see is that Nikola is aware that if you can't compete with your engineers you can always compete with your lawyers. Unfortunately more and more of corporate America has come to reaslize that.

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
Only 10%?! I have a prototype battery that has an energy density of 1500 w/kg, charges in negative 1 second and lasts 10 billion miles!

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Reading this article it sure seems like they are copying a lot of the play book from Tesla.

Nikola's founder Trevor Milton said that competition 'brings good results,' so how will Nikola distinguish itself from Tesla?

This means that there are two public companies named after the famous engineer--Nikola and Tesla.

Nikola executive chairman and founder Trevor Milton joined TheStreet to talk about his company and why--despite being compared to Tesla CEO Elon Musk--the two are different.

Video Transcript:

Katherine Ross:
Now, it can't be lost on investors and yourself that we now have Tesla and Nikola both as two separate public companies, how do you plan on distinguishing yourself from Tesla going forward?

Trevor Milton:
Yeah, I mean it's, it's kinda cool that, uh, that the greatest engineer the world has ever seen, which is Nikola Tesla, the gu- the Croatian-Serbian engineer. It's amazing that the two companies are making more disruption around the world, Tesla and also Nikola, are both named after him, Nikola Tesla, and I think that's like one of the coolest things in the world. And, eh, the world knows that we're really the experts in heavy-duty transportation, um, and electrification, and the world knows that Tesla's really focused on the, uh, electrification and home residential storage of, of battery and energy. Um, so I, I think it's easy enough for people to distinguish, but it's also a really awesome story to think about where that name came from.

Katherine Ross:
I was scrolling through your Twitter feed and I saw a couple of investors ask you about your battery, and how it compares to Tesla, so for the average investor who's watching this interview right now can you break down the differences between the two?

Trevor Milton:
Yeah, so I mean the current batteries right now between Tesla and Nikola there's not that much difference. We have about, we might have five or 10% more energy density then they do, but honestly, it's not really that important, everyone has batteries now around the world that's really not that cool. Um, when you get into really big batteries it becomes more complex, and that's what Nikola does, we do humongous batteries, and that's taken a lot of work to get those to work. Um, Tesla's working on new battery technology, it's supposed to remove a lot of the expensive materials out of the, out of the battery. With Nikola we've done the same thing, but i- honestly these big battery companies like LG, Samsung and, and Panasonic, they're all gonna be cutting edge leading of battery tech. So there's ... W- We, we innovate technology, and then we hand it off to those guys to commercialize it.

Trevor Milton:
So I don't think it's a ... the batteries only one part, the real big one is your full vertical integration, and that's what sets Nikola apart from Tesla is we own all the energy all of our vehicles consume, or most of our vehicles consume, and, uh, that's really, we're vertically integrated, it's a key to Nikola success.

Katherine Ross:
I've seen a lot of articles that interviewed you or covered you ahead of the IPO, a lot of them said that you share a lot of characteristics with Elon Musk. I'm curious to know what your thoughts are, do you agree with that?

Trevor Milton:
I mean, uh, I'm, I'm definitely a, I'm definitely a lot different than him, but I mean I ... Most entrepreneurs, whether you look at, you know, Steve Jobs or any of these guys that have really created a company from the ground up, they're all very similar in personality because it takes someone a little bit crazy to be able to, um, go out on a limb, risk everything in your life, get criticized by everyone, raise capital, protect your company, build a business model that works, fight the political landscape and still come out ahead. It's damn near and nearly impossible to do, and it takes a specific personality. So a lot of us that found, that like built multi-billion dollar companies were very similar in some ways but were very different in others.

Trevor Milton:
And, uh, I have, I have no beef with, with Elon, I think he's a cool cat. I don't know him personally, um, uh, you know, but we're, we're definitely his competitor, so, you know, that's one thing to keep in mind is, uh, is, is competition brings good results bu- uh, from everybody.

WANKER...

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag

Video Transcript:

Katherine Ross:

Trevor Milton:

Katherine Ross:

Trevor Milton:

Trevor Milton:

Katherine Ross:

Trevor Milton:

Trevor Milton:

Trevor, you're a WANKER

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
They're all very anxious, OEMs and start ups. They know Tesla is coming out with battery day and they're all making bold claims that they hope they make true in two years time. Problem is on battery day Tesla's going to leave them all in the dust yet again. 'Sorry guys you're all still 10 years behind'.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I feel like should make an ev start up, come up with a cool design,make a website with bold claims,get investors, make prototype. live fat for a few on investor money. :ROFLMAO:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Yeah Trevor.. you have no beef with Elon.. Besides a lawsuit.. Also... does he even know what Tesla does? Apparently just residential stuff and battery storage.. i cant wait to watch the Tesla Semi destroy this guy.
Sponsored