Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
I have seen a few posts about the ramp tailgate.
And seriously, I have had a pickup for 23 years, and thought, "I really need a ramp" perhaps 5 times.That ramp tailgate can't be cheap. I would think it prudent to offer a couple of different tailgate options.
For me? I've lusted after the flip-down step of one of the other major car companies. One of the hardest thing to do with a bed that high is to get into it....and deploying the ramp to just get in the truck seems silly.
The "step"-gate would be much more useful on a daily basis, and perhaps when camping...
Sponsored

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
Maybe you'll find that when it squats using the air suspension, stepping up is manageable. If not keep a milk crate bungied by the tailgate :LOL:

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
You can walk up the ramp to get into the back of the vault.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
still, having options as far as tailgates would be the easiest of options. heck, some people would keep a "step up" tail gate on it all the time and "quick change " it to the ramp tailgate when they saw the need coming up.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
You can walk up the ramp to get into the back of the vault.
If the rmp is that easy to deploy? I can just see me deploying the ramp to get a can of beer that rolled up against the front of the bed...

UpToNoGood

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma 4x4, 2015 Super Tenere
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Country flag
The tailgate ramp might not come on all truck unless you add it as an option. Might be a 1k option to have it added. Would you be willing to pay an extra 1k for that option?

I could be wrong and it might be standard for all trucks. We will see.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The tailgate appears to have a notched step on left and right side of tailgate. Coupled with the squat, it appears this is the way they addressed stepping up. The step is near the controls on either side of the vault.

Tesla Cybertruck Only one tailgate option. Why? C3B1BBF3-069E-4B15-9A80-6BA66F9837AE

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
What has me worried are those triangle cutout tie downs. If the corners are too sharp, potential stress cracks. If too sharp, I plan on rounding the corners.

The tiedown center bar between the triangles has me the most concern. If the bar is only 3mm thick, it will not hold much. If not reinforced, I will not use them.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
The tiedown center bar between the triangles has me the most concern. If the bar is only 3mm thick, it will not hold much. If not reinforced, I will not use them.
Full-hard 301 stainless steel will fail around 185,000 psi. The thin 3mm x 1/2" wide (estimated) section will have over 10,000 lbs. of straight pull strength. De-rate by a factor of 5 or so for the non-straight pull, beam-bending, stress concentration in corners, etc. But hooking from two of those should still be more than sufficient to hold a 3500lb payload in place if you keep your maneuvers under 1g.

But they look awkward to use and the sharp corners will rip up the plastic coating on the strap hooks.

parapyropig

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 FJ Cruiser NSSE, Cybertruck trimotor
Occupation
parapyropig
Country flag
There’s only one tailgate option so far.

A tailgate that swings down 180° would facilitate easier access to the vault / vault floor storage compartment.
Sponsored