Danielims

First Name
Denis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache- GT
Country flag
What are your opinions on the best options for a camping refrigerator? We are starting with a blank slate here and not looking to go "all out" with the rear. But for camping trips that are 3-4 days or even day trips in Arizona heat we need to get something that will do a better job than a cooler.
Thanks
Sponsored

Wraven

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundations CyberBeast, M3P, MYP
Country flag
Only two I have ever used myself are ARB and Engels, both expensive but both designed to work at angles a device would be subjected to for overlanding.

scottyah

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mountaineer
Country flag
I rented a van with a 75cuft Dometic and it worked well. They have kind of a cult following in the vanlife community

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I rented a van with a 75cuft Dometic and it worked well. They have kind of a cult following in the vanlife community
I know several jeepers who also swear by them, but the price tags is a bit hard to swallow…

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
I have two Dometic 100's CFX3. The non divided ones. I keep one as fridge and other as freezer. Use almost nothing for power and are quiet. Yes pricy, but I also have many Yeti's, and they are never cold to start with, and require a walk in freezer to do a deep cold for a long journey. I am off grid, and the one thing I crave is Ice cubes. The split ones never make ice good enough as it is used as fridge, and if you open it often it can't maintain like a 99% of the time shut freezer only.

They also double as a bench with a nice diamond pattern.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
You have pics of your dual Dometic setup?

Zbatc

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 M3P
Occupation
ATC
Country flag
Ecoflow Glacier. Has a very cybertruck vibe, makes ice super fast, can be plugged in or has its own battery power. Only downside is maybe under sized a bit.

FirstRLast

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Tesla model 3s and 2 Cybertruck reservations
Occupation
Smart Home Integration
Country flag
Not sure what one I’ll go with yet. But I like to use a combo of the electric chilled just for ice and then a well insulated 5 day cooler and just keep restocking the ice. That way you aren’t opening the electric often and it will keep cold with less power and every 3 days or so you just add some new ice / drain water into an empty 5 gallon for cooking/ cleaning. You can get a good week and a half to 2 weeks with that method with very little power.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C

GollyGee

First Name
Golly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150Lxlt
Occupation
outofit
Country flag
I have been surprised by the Bodega T50 splittable refrig/freezer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D96FM73/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
The temperature control could be better, but besides a couple of camping trips so far (freeze side at 10F, refrig at 40F), we have been running it continuously in our house for months in refrigerator mode at 40F. Plug in at 120Vac or 12Vdc.
Price currently at $450, but price bounces down to $250 at times.

Last edited:

sylvius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberBeast FS ordered
Country flag
All the options stated are great but they are super expensive because they are designed to run off 12V which takes some doing. Once they enable the bed outlets to run while the truck is moving and assuming you aren’t trying to go for days without charging, probably a small chest freezer in the bed (with a temp controller if you want fridge temp) would be a good, cost-effective option.
Sponsored