Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Cyber Security / IT Services
Country flag
I’m in RV business and am so excited about possible applications. They can tow the Rv’s and charge them in the RV parks.
BINGO you got that right... I was actually just looking at an RV Resort to stay at that actually had Tiny Houses built on some of the spaces and had NEMA 14-50 outlets on the post next to the tiny house...

Kurious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 4x4
Occupation
Organics farming
Country flag
Does it have a tow hitch as standard?

Camper Van Someren

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS, 2015 Sienna AWD, 2002 Ranger
Country flag
BINGO you got that right... I was actually just looking at an RV Resort to stay at that actually had Tiny Houses built on some of the spaces and had NEMA 14-50 outlets on the post next to the tiny house...
NEMA 14-50 would be good, and hopefully more RV parks will be installing these as EVs start towing. For the time being I think most parks only have 120V which will take days to fully charge the battery

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Where I live most campgrounds are going to 50 amp 240v plugs as campers are getting bigger and power hungry.

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wow, could Tesla aftermarket a trailer with a slightly modified full battery skateboard base, for interconnection to the primary CTbattery!??

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Not to mention that those are 120 V

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The main concern with RV's is going to be the same one the trailer guys are worried about i.e. achievable towing range. If the RV weight is under say 4000 pounds things will probably work out. Much above that the towing range question gets interesting. Keep in mind that a 14-50R receptacle only charges at 7.68 kW and that the Trimotor is going to want about 485 Wh/mi by itself implying 14 miles added range per hour. A trailer or camper of weight approaching that of the truck will cut that in half.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I have noticed here and in other fora that there seems to be a great reluctance on the part of participants to do any arithmetic and I wonder why that is. Had it been done here we would see that the power available from the 30 A trailer receptacle is 0.8*30*120 = 2..88kW. The 0.8 is there because the NEC requires that a continuous load like vehicle charging must derate by 20%.

Don't know what is meant by the suggestion of an inverter here as the RV post is already providing AC. To charge the battery it must be converted to DC and the DC then boosted to around 400V. This is the function of rectifiers and DC/DC converters which are in the vehicle. Assuming those to be 90% efficient you would have 0.9*0.8*30*120 = 2.592 kW going to the battery, In a vehicle that requires 485 Wh/mi that means adding 2592/485 = 5.2 miles per hour. With a trailer or camper that takes an equal amount of energy per mile we'd have 2.6 mi per hour.

Thus one probably couldn't plan to camp at a spot with only the old traditional 30A receptacles and recharge for the trip home. But in reality he only need charge to add sufficient range to get him to the nearest Super Charger. With the 14-50R and a trailer even though he only gets 7 miles per hour an over night charge (12 hrs) adds 84 miles and that is appreciable - quite possibly enough to reach one.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Thus one probably couldn't plan to camp at a spot with only the old traditional 30A receptacles and recharge for the trip home. But in reality he only need charge to add sufficient range to get him to the nearest Super Charger. With the 14-50R and a trailer even though he only gets 7 miles per hour an over night charge (12 hrs) adds 84 miles and that is appreciable - quite possibly enough to reach one.
Presuming you fully charged at a super charger on the way in, you would not necessarily be down to zero charge when you arrived. You only need to charge at the campsite if the distance from the last supercharger plus the distance to the next one is greater than your max range.
Sponsored