Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Rivian’s amazing new warranty should be the standard for all EV brands

It sets a new standard for EV makers

Amazon-backed electric SUV maker Rivian is quietly making a name for itself as one of the most exciting newcomers to the electric vehicle market. Not only are its cars looking great, it’s also offering after-sales service that sets a new standard for the industry.

Over the past week, sleuths over on Rivian forums spotted updates to the EV startup’s vehicle warranties, and it has well and truly thrown down the gauntlet to all other manufacturers with its five-year, 60,000-mile comprehensive warranty.

I’m not surprised if warranties don’t get you as hot under the collar as they do me, so bear with it.

What makes Rivian’s warranty so good?
Typically, car warranties cover two things, time or miles driven, whichever comes first.

It’s quite common for carmakers to offer a comprehensive three year, or 36,000 mile, warranty. If you drive more than 36,000 miles in three years, then your warranty expires. That’s what “whichever comes first” means.

Rivian’s warranty, however, squeezes a little more out of that. According to the company’s website, the comprehensive warranty covers, “The cost of all parts and labor necessary for any defective materials are covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.”

1T-Blue-R1S-Green-Normal-Plant-BatteryLab-LightsOn.jpg
Credit: RivianRivian is currently getting two two all-electric SUVs ready for launch. The company is also working with Amazon to develop all-electric delivery vehicles.

The EV maker also offers a very impressive corrosion warranty too. Rivian is covering all body panels for eight years, with unlimited miles. This is two years longer than Land Rover’s corrosion warranty.

Given that its vehicles are intended to be used off-road, in dirty and wet conditions, this is great to see.

Beyond the usual
However, because Rivian is an electric carmaker it also offers warranty on its battery, motors, and drivetrain components.

It’s safe to say its battery and drivetrain warranties are beyond great, they are the best for any electric carmaker.

Rivian says it will cover all components inside its high-voltage battery pack, for eight years or 175,000 miles. While covering the pack for eight years is quite common, usually other manufacturers remove cover after 100,000 miles.

The Amazon-backed startup will also cover the battery for 70% or more coverage, over that period too. So battery degradation shouldn’t be a concern. Although, many other manufacturers cover up to 80% of charge. But this seems to be the only area where Rivian doesn’t best the competition.

Drivetrain
As for the drivetrain, that’s also covered for eight years and 175,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The best bit of all though, is Rivian’s warranty is super clear, understandable, and doesn’t appear to leave much wiggle room for the company to charge customers for repairs by claiming it’s not covered by the warranty.

What’s more, Rivian’s warranty applies to all of its vehicles, and all the components unless otherwise stated.

Rivian-wrapCapture.jpg
Credit: RivianRivian paint color choices, there’s a couple of interesting ones, but owners aren’t bowled over for choice.

Sure it only makes two models right now, but the wording suggests it’ll have one warranty that will apply to all of its cars. Not like Tesla, where every vehicle has a slightly different warranty, and not all components are included.

Self-driving cars are exciting and all, but this is the kind of simple disruption is what the motor industry actually needs.

Looking good
Of course, we’ll have to wait for owners to start submitting warranty claims to see how Rivian responds, but so far it’s looking good.

The robust and clear warranty should give potential buyers a generous helping of confidence too.

It’s always a bit of an unknown, buying into a new car brand which has no track record for reliability. Knowing you’re covered by a solid warranty is great for peace of mind. If something does go wrong, it’s just an inconvenience — not a financially ruinous incident.

Hopefully other EV makers will follow in Rivian’s footsteps by simplifying and strengthening their warranties.

If you want more detail on how Rivian’s warranty stacks up against the competition, John Goreham over on Torque News did a great comparison. Check it out here.

I hope you’re as excited about warranties as I am now.

SOURCE: TNW
Sponsored

Last edited:

xodarap1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Encore, Nissan Sentra, >>> Cybertruck TM
Occupation
Security
Country flag
Rivian’s amazing new warranty should be the standard for all EV brands

It sets a new standard for EV makers

Amazon-backed electric SUV maker Rivian is quietly making a name for itself as one of the most exciting newcomers to the electric vehicle market. Not only are its cars looking great, it’s also offering after-sales service that sets a new standard for the industry.

Over the past week, sleuths over on Rivian forums spotted updates to the EV startup’s vehicle warranties, and it has well and truly thrown down the gauntlet to all other manufacturers with its five-year, 60,000-mile comprehensive warranty.

I’m not surprised if warranties don’t get you as hot under the collar as they do me, so bear with it.

What makes Rivian’s warranty so good?
Typically, car warranties cover two things, time or miles driven, whichever comes first.

It’s quite common for carmakers to offer a comprehensive three year, or 36,000 mile, warranty. If you drive more than 36,000 miles in three years, then your warranty expires. That’s what “whichever comes first” means.

Rivian’s warranty, however, squeezes a little more out of that. According to the company’s website, the comprehensive warranty covers, “The cost of all parts and labor necessary for any defective materials are covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.”

1T-Blue-R1S-Green-Normal-Plant-BatteryLab-LightsOn.jpg
Credit: RivianRivian is currently getting two two all-electric SUVs ready for launch. The company is also working with Amazon to develop all-electric delivery vehicles.
The EV maker also offers a very impressive corrosion warranty too. Rivian is covering all body panels for eight years, with unlimited miles. This is two years longer than Land Rover’s corrosion warranty.

Given that its vehicles are intended to be used off-road, in dirty and wet conditions, this is great to see.

Beyond the usual
However, because Rivian is an electric carmaker it also offers warranty on its battery, motors, and drivetrain components.

It’s safe to say its battery and drivetrain warranties are beyond great, they are the best for any electric carmaker.

Rivian says it will cover all components inside its high-voltage battery pack, for eight years or 175,000 miles. While covering the pack for eight years is quite common, usually other manufacturers remove cover after 100,000 miles.

The Amazon-backed startup will also cover the battery for 70% or more coverage, over that period too. So battery degradation shouldn’t be a concern. Although, many other manufacturers cover up to 80% of charge. But this seems to be the only area where Rivian doesn’t best the competition.

Drivetrain
As for the drivetrain, that’s also covered for eight years and 175,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The best bit of all though, is Rivian’s warranty is super clear, understandable, and doesn’t appear to leave much wiggle room for the company to charge customers for repairs by claiming it’s not covered by the warranty.

What’s more, Rivian’s warranty applies to all of its vehicles, and all the components unless otherwise stated.

Rivian-wrapCapture.jpg
Credit: RivianRivian paint color choices, there’s a couple of interesting ones, but owners aren’t bowled over for choice.
Sure it only makes two models right now, but the wording suggests it’ll have one warranty that will apply to all of its cars. Not like Tesla, where every vehicle has a slightly different warranty, and not all components are included.

Self-driving cars are exciting and all, but this is the kind of simple disruption is what the motor industry actually needs.

Looking good
Of course, we’ll have to wait for owners to start submitting warranty claims to see how Rivian responds, but so far it’s looking good.

The robust and clear warranty should give potential buyers a generous helping of confidence too.

It’s always a bit of an unknown, buying into a new car brand which has no track record for reliability. Knowing you’re covered by a solid warranty is great for peace of mind. If something does go wrong, it’s just an inconvenience — not a financially ruinous incident.

Hopefully other EV makers will follow in Rivian’s footsteps by simplifying and strengthening their warranties.

If you want more detail on how Rivian’s warranty stacks up against the competition, John Goreham over on Torque News did a great comparison. Check it out here.

I hope you’re as excited about warranties as I am now.

SOURCE: TNW
A great sounding robust and clear warranty by a new company with no track record sounds great and I agree that ALL EV manufacturers should step it up.

But, no warranty at this point would make me any more comfortable purchasing a vehicle that Rivian produces, even if they drop the prices 15 to 20k.

To get my money, any new EV manufacturer would have to match or beat ALL features of the current top EV manufacturer at an even or better price point (minus track record of course). So far, I just haven't seen any. When there is one, I will seriously consider spending on it.

I know its not the same thing, but for example, a full parts lifetime warranty for a Betamax wouldn't do anyone much good today.

If a company runs into financial issues after a few years, or can't reliably update on the fly or keep up with the cost and infrastructure required for all the vehicles that may need the better warranty service, the initial better warranty peace of mind won't help.

Company overall strength, vehicle line, track record over many years to me is much more important.

If I was going to risk spending into another EV line, it would only be with a company that has already produced cars for many years. Of course, all of this is just my personal opinion and I'm sure others will see it all from a different point of view, which is cool.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
A Rivian is still going to be compatible with the road, unlike betamax.

-Crissa
But for how many miles? Supposedly a CT will be compatible for 1,000,000 miles. Is anyone expecting a Rivian to last that long? It seems like a higher price combined with potentially a shorter lifespan makes for a very expensive vehicle with much quicker depreciation.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
5 year, 60,000 miles of a warranty isn't that great. Most trucks use to come with 5 year, 100,000 miles and even 10 year, 100,000 miles because they put into trucks most of the time... and miles on the road don't typically lead to breakdowns.

To shock and amaze me, I want to see something like 25 year, 250,000 miles... or 50 year, 500,000 miles. We have to stop being the throw-away society. Do you truly believe in your vehicle or not?? Show it!! peace

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Warranties offered by OEM's is a function of board room decisions; "What monies are we allocating to warranty work?"

Here's a simple argument that Tesla should offer the best warranty; No Dealerships.

The OEM pays to the dealership their retail labor rate plus a percentage markup on parts to do warranty work. That retail rate covers, presumably, the dealers overhead and profit. In many dealerships that rate is approaching $150/hr.

Fact; every dealership has an internal shop rate which covers overhead (hourly rate paid to employee, cost of insurance for that employee, lights and heat for the shop, etc.). The internal shop rate is the true cost incurred to get one hour of work done.

Internal Rate + % Markup = Retail Rate

Tesla has no dealerships. The rate they pay for warranty work is their own internal rate (plus lost opportunity costs, but that's getting too deep for this explanation). That theoretically cuts their warranty hourly expenses nearly in half compared to a legacy OEM like Ford, etc.

If Tesla allocated the same percentage of revenue to warranty work as the OEMs do, they could offer a more comprehensive warranty than any of them.

Another true fact; Porsche used to offer a two year unlimited mileage warranty in the 80s. If you were a successful salesman, you got a new Porsche every two years to be under warranty all the time. That was the last of the great warranties.
Sponsored

Last edited: