Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
In an announcement on Wednesday, Amazon revealed that it has begun testing some of its Rivian-made electric delivery vans in Los Angeles. The vehicles are custom-built according to Amazon’s specifications through the EV automakers’ skateboard platform, and are capable of traveling 150 miles per charge.

Amazon and Rivian’s electric delivery van project was announced in September 2019, when the e-commerce giant stated that it would be buying 100,000 delivery vehicles from the electric truck maker as part of its aim to achieve zero net carbon emissions in its performances by 2040, a full decade ahead of the Paris Agreement. Amazon also launched a fund to help accomplish this goal, investing in Rivian as part of its pledge.

In a blog post, Amazon noted that the deployment of its first Rivian-made all-electric delivery vans is just the beginning. This year, the e-commerce giant aims to test the vehicles in 15 additional cities, ahead of tens of thousands of the vehicles being deployed to the road over the next few years. Ross Rachey, Director of Amazon’s Global Fleet and Products, noted that the reception to the Rivian-made vans has proven very positive so far.

“We’re loving the enthusiasm from customers so far—from the photos we see online to the car fans who stop our drivers for a first-hand look at the vehicle. From what we’ve seen, this is one of the fastest modern commercial electrification programs, and we’re incredibly proud of that,” Rachley said.

To support the rollout of its first Rivian-made EVs and to prepare for the arrival of more of the vehicles, Amazon has initiated efforts to build a charging infrastructure for its vans. The e-commerce giant has installed thousands of electric vehicle charging stations in North America and Europe, and more are planned in the near future.

Rivian Founder and CEO RJ Scaringe, for his part, has noted that the EV maker’s customizable skateboard platform played a huge part in the creation of Amazon’s electric delivery vans. “Rivian’s purpose is to deliver products that the world didn’t already have, to redefine expectations through the application of technology and innovation. This milestone is one example of how Rivian and Amazon are working toward the world of 2040, and we hope it inspires other companies to fundamentally change the way that they operate,” Scaringe said.

Watch Amazon’s new video of its Rivian delivery vans below.

SOURCE: TESLARATI

Question, I saw a fire extinguisher in the cabin wall when the driver walked in, if there's a battery fire that fire extinguisher won't do any good, possible they have it for package fires.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Question, I saw a fire extinguisher in the cabin wall when the driver walked in, if there's a battery fire that fire extinguisher won't do any good, possible they have it for package fires.
It's required by law for commercial trucks to carry fire extinguishers.

As these EV trucks(delivery and Semi) start to become more prevalent it will be interesting what new laws legislators will enact specifically for EV's.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
The first skateboards were metal and plastic, not wood. And modern skateboards do have suspension, and some even have brakes!

And this is what the form factor is called. It's been called this for about three decades, at least. But late to complain.

-Crissa
Bee in your bonnet today?

They can name their platform whatever they want. Motherboards have a form factor but they get their own names. VW has a skateboard-ish form factor butat least they call it MEB because Modularer E-Antriebs-Baukasten is better than board with trucks and wheels. If you think me calling their naming convention lazy and/or yawn-worth is complaining, that's your perogative. It's still a stupid name. "I'm going to make a truck called R1T because you know we are R for Rivian and 1 because..." zzzZzzZzz

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Bee in your bonnet today?

They can name their platform whatever they want. Motherboards have a form factor but they get their own names. VW has a skateboard-ish form factor butat least they call it MEB because Modularer E-Antriebs-Baukasten is better than board with trucks and wheels. If you think me calling their naming convention lazy and/or yawn-worth is complaining, that's your perogative. It's still a stupid name. "I'm going to make a truck called R1T because you know we are R for Rivian and 1 because..." zzzZzzZzz
I don't know why but every time I see the phrase "bee in your bonnet" I think of this song.
Heard it on a college radio station years ago.

Sponsored

Last edited: