Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
One issue is that if you say a speed of 50mph in a 50mph zone and then the posted speed limit raises it lowers, the speed limit on the dash will change, but the max speed on the dash does not change. That caught me off guard a few times.
It should be updating faster and slower, mine does. There are a few times it may miss it, especially if you roll the speed up or down from the default setting.
Sponsored

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Pro tip: Use "a better route planner" and plugshare.com to plot out hotels with free level 2 charging..... :cool:

ETA: sometimes you can find dining that has 14-50 RV plugs available.

TexasRaider

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck + MS
Occupation
Civil
Country flag
We did a road trip to northern MN from southern TX. It was roughly 1,400 miles. The truck did really well.

We used a Kuat bike carrier with two e-mtn bikes on the back. We drove 73-75mph most of the way, and averaged
484 wh/mi. The system did a good job at estimating our power use.

What hasn't been said before. The truck is a road tripping beast. It's quiet, comfortable, and a great ride in Chill mode. We would drive for 2-2.5 hours and then stop for 15-30 minutes for charging. That seems to be the average where most were in the 15 minute range. We had one outlier of a 1 hour charge due to a large gap between chargers.

All of my concerns about road tripping are gone. It feels like the extra battery pack will be nice to have, but not required.

1000002788.jpg

1000002735.jpg

1000002733.jpg

1000002789.jpg
How were your phantom braking / (cruise control issues) on the highways you drove?

OP
OP
crashoverride

crashoverride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Cybertruck CyberBeast
Country flag
How were your phantom braking / (cruise control issues) on the highways you drove?
Minimal overall. The most common one is the yellow light or sign causing it to phantom brake.

TexasRaider

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck + MS
Occupation
Civil
Country flag
Minimal overall. The most common one is the yellow light or sign causing it to phantom brake.
Glad to hear. I am “hopeful” it’ll be greatly reduced in the future like the other models - with time.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, R1T, Bronco Raptor
Country flag
We did a road trip to northern MN from southern TX. It was roughly 1,400 miles. The truck did really well.

We used a Kuat bike carrier with two e-mtn bikes on the back. We drove 73-75mph most of the way, and averaged
484 wh/mi. The system did a good job at estimating our power use.

What hasn't been said before. The truck is a road tripping beast. It's quiet, comfortable, and a great ride in Chill mode. We would drive for 2-2.5 hours and then stop for 15-30 minutes for charging. That seems to be the average where most were in the 15 minute range. We had one outlier of a 1 hour charge due to a large gap between chargers.

All of my concerns about road tripping are gone. It feels like the extra battery pack will be nice to have, but not required.

1000002788.jpg

1000002735.jpg

1000002733.jpg

1000002789.jpg
I’ve done a similar drive in the CT and the charge curve isn’t great. 484 wh/mi isn’t terrible with those tires but the nonexistent V4 network combined with the rapid drop off from the peak makes road tripping pretty annoying IMO despite the prevalence of functional chargers.

Just sayin that there’s a lot that was promised and it might never be delivered given the state of their supercharging personnel. With my Taycan and Ioniq 5 I see/saw on many occasions the ~15 min 15-80% charge as marketed. A 15 min charge for the CT will only bring you from 10% to 50% at best.

Also, FYI I’ve driven tens of thousands of miles with bikes and the way your pedals are positioned will end up damaging your bikes. The best way to transport bikes with a truck is with a tailgate pad and using some caution when positioning them. I own more bike racks and have marred more $5k+ bikes than anyone.

OP
OP
crashoverride

crashoverride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve done a similar drive in the CT and the charge curve isn’t great. 484 wh/mi isn’t terrible with those tires but the nonexistent V4 network combined with the rapid drop off from the peak makes road tripping pretty annoying IMO despite the prevalence of functional chargers.

Just sayin that there’s a lot that was promised and it might never be delivered given the state of their supercharging personnel. With my Taycan and Ioniq 5 I see/saw on many occasions the ~15 min 15-80% charge as marketed. A 15 min charge for the CT will only bring you from 10% to 50% at best.

Also, FYI I’ve driven tens of thousands of miles with bikes and the way your pedals are positioned will end up damaging your bikes. The best way to transport bikes with a truck is with a tailgate pad and using some caution when positioning them. I own more bike racks and have marred more $5k+ bikes than anyone.
It looks like our experience with the charging network is opposite of yours. This entire first half of the road trip, our charging times were done quicker than listed in the app, and we've gotten better efficiency than predicted.

That's resulted in a shorter amount of time to charge and being able to go faster than expected between charging stops.

That's great for us, as we were okay with the predicted times in the first place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crashoverride

crashoverride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We're continuing to explore the the area and having a good time.

Almost everyone we've met has been interested and good natured about it.

We've had a few interactions where people are more than rude, to the point of aggressive. Why do total strangers feel entitled to go out of their way to share their hate to total strangers? It feels like they think I know Elon personally, and might deliver the message. A shirtless man in a lifted truck gave us a rude hand gesture, then turned to follow, and tailgated us for miles. On another day, As we came out of a gas station, a different man in a truck that pulled in next to the CT yelled, "Hey! Why would you pay money for that piece of shit!?"

On a positive note, most people are awesome and life is full good moments. Here's one moment we captured on the farm with some of the chickens.

Tesla Cybertruck Road trip: TX to MN in Cyberbeast with bike carrier. It’s a road tripping beast. PXL_20240512_215330651.RAW-01.MP.COVER~2

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
What do you think that the V4 Pedestals do? Right now, they only have the NACS with CCS1 adaptor.

They don't do 800V. And they are only 250kW, just like a V3. For Tesla's there is no difference between a V3 and V4.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, R1T, Bronco Raptor
Country flag
What do you think that the V4 Pedestals do? Right now, they only have the NACS with CCS1 adaptor.

They don't do 800V. And they are only 250kW, just like a V3. For Tesla's there is no difference between a V3 and V4.
So you’re saying 800 V charging is vaporware then?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
So you’re saying 800 V charging is vaporware then?
No, not at all.

Just not here today.
EV America already has it, but we are also waiting on a 800V CCS adapter as well.

Neither are required, so not the highest priority.
Sponsored