First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your car.

The CyberTruck may be divisive in some states; I'm thinking of my home state of California. We have our fair share of coal rollers and you can't touch my medium/heavy duty truck types. California has, in fact, touched their diesel trucks and is continuing to pursue emission restrictions to OHV/Class2-8 (with incentives on the non-polluting side). I will be angry though not surprised if someone decides to vandalize my CT.

Regarding Prius, catalytic converter theft is common here. I don't know if Toyota changed the way they are exposed in later years but we don't leave our 2009 out overnight. There are aftermarket weld kits though thankfully it hasn't come to that.

Here's a crew doing it in 2 minutes so even a security guard probably wouldn't be sufficient for a brazen crew.

Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your car.

The CyberTruck may be divisive in some states; I'm thinking of my home state of California. We have our fair share of coal rollers and you can't touch my medium/heavy duty truck types. California has, in fact, touched their diesel trucks and is continuing to pursue emission restrictions to OHV/Class2-8 (with incentives on the non-polluting side). I will be angry though not surprised if someone decides to vandalize my CT.

Regarding Prius, catalytic converter theft is common here. I don't know if Toyota changed the way they are exposed in later years but we don't leave our 2009 out overnight. There are aftermarket weld kits though thankfully it hasn't come to that.

Here's a crew doing it in 2 minutes so even a security guard probably wouldn't be sufficient for a brazen crew.

So thats what Schumacher's pit crew is up to these days.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Speaking of sabotage:

Tesla Showroom In Berlin Vandalized By Unknown People

Tesla Cybertruck Sabotage 1610478269457

January 12, 2021
By Andrei Nedelea
What could have prompted them to break the Tesla location’s windows, doors and damage one vehicle on display inside?
While Tesla certainly has plenty of haters, they don’t necessarily resort to physical violence in an attempt to get their anti-Tesla message across. Well, this incident in Berlin is one of those fairly rare instances when people who hate Tesla do actual damage; it took place last Sunday and it targeted a Tesla showroom located on one of Berlin’s most famous avenues, the Kurfürstendamm.
According to the police report quoted by t-online.de, the group of still unidentified people broke doors and windows and did damage to a display vehicle that was parked inside. Police are still investigating and so far have not announced the identification of any perpetrators.

The attack was so fierce that damage was also done to two adjacent businesses, according to the source article. It is not known why the showroom was targeted, but it could have something to do with tensions that arose when Tesla announced it was going to build a factory close to Berlin and in order to build it it had to clearcut a large area of forest in order to do so.

Source: t-online via Teslarati

https://insideevs.com/news/465752/tesla-showroom-berlin-vandalized/
_——_—————————————————————-

Hard to understand the Ecoterrorism on a company working to positively change the planet; one that is planting more trees than they are taking out with the construction of their new factory.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Why do they call if 'forest' without the context that it's a monoculture?

Yes, this is 'deforestation' but so is any green field construction, trees or no.

-Crissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Why do they call if 'forest' without the context that it's a monoculture?

Yes, this is 'deforestation' but so is any green field construction, trees or no.

-Crissa
Because they can’t see the monoculture through the trees? ?Just guessing.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Catalytic converter thefts surge about 1000 percent in Seattle

A big problem in Western Washington is getting worse – the theft of catalytic converters.

It’s something impacting every community with thieves hitting churches, senior centers, apartment buildings and even Seattle Humane.

Four of their transport vans were missing their catalytic converters Friday morning. It happened just as they were about to head to Boeing Field to pick up kittens and cats flown in from Mississippi.

“We are using them all the time, whether it’s for transporting animals between shelters, whether it’s delivering pet food from our pet food bank,” said Brandon Macz of Seattle Humane. “It was very unfortunate this happened,” he said.

Seattle Humane still managed to pick up the pets and nearby auto shop, Automeister in Issaquah, said they would donate the labor to fix the vehicles.

The crime is getting increasingly more common. Preliminary data from Seattle Police show there were only a handful of cases in 2018, but that number exploded to more than 700 in 2020 – a greater than 900 percent from 2018. The thefts are continuing to surge in 2021 and if the trend so far this year continues, 2021 is on track to double last year’s thefts

2018 - 8

2019 - 13

2020 – 738

2021 – 123 (as of 1/26/21)

A man in Fremont this week managed to stop what appeared to be a catalytic converter theft crime in progress.

He’s seen in video running outside with a baseball bat, shouting “What are you doing? Huh? Huh??” and bashing a vehicle with the bat.

“My adrenaline was going,” said Gerard Thai, who shared his security camera video that caught the incident with KIRO7. “I had no idea they were trying to steal the catalytic converter. I thought they were trying to steal the car,” he said.

Thai said his Ring alarm woke him up – and it’s not the first time he’s had trouble – so he went downstairs armed with a baseball bat.

He said he watched two men work for a minute.

“One of them was jacking the car up,” Thai said. “And they left the drill behind the tire so the car wouldn’t roll back,” he said.

That’s when Thai made his move, running in swinging.

“I hit the passenger side front window, smashed that out, then the back window,” Thai said.

The would-be burglars got back in the car and speed away -- leaving so fast, they abandoned their tools behind.

“This was their drill. Yeah, they left the car up in the air, so I got a jack,” Thai said.

The Prius – the vehicle mostly commonly targeted by catalytic converter thieves -- is damaged but with the converter intact, it’s still drivable.

The King County Sheriff’s Office says a Prius catalytic converter will sell for about $1100 on places like Offer Up.

Buyers are going for the precious metals inside the car part, including rhodium, platinum, and palladium. The most valuable of the three is rhodium - by weight worth 15x more than gold and 30x more than cocaine.

KIRO7′s Deedee Sun asked Thai if he thought twice about approaching two men outside his apartment.

“I wasn’t really worried because they’re there to take a catalytic converter, not hold someone up,” he said.

But Thai said just in case.

“I had a firearm in my pocket,” he said.

The King County Sheriff’s Office says you can get something like a “cat clamp” or cover to protect your vehicle. It won’t stop a really determined thief but it does slow them down -- so someone might take a look and move on to the next car.

The sheriff’s office advises for businesses that have a fleet of cars, to invest in something like a fence or security if possible.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I am going to be so happy with my CT. No more oil changes, no more dealership, no more gas stations, and no more thieves trying to steal my catalytic converter.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Buyers are going for the precious metals inside the car part, including rhodium, platinum, and palladium. The most valuable of the three is rhodium - by weight worth 15x more than gold and 30x more than cocaine.
OK, so its good to know that these catalytic converters are so valuable. But am I expected to immediately know the street price of cocaine? What kind of comparison is that? Now I know that cocaine is half the price of gold though so I guess I can just look up the price of gold to figure out the cocaine price. Or should I just take it as a danger sign that my local journalist is so in touch with the local price of cocaine?