Leonard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Mail man
Country flag
I want them to make snow plows since the ford can’t use after market plow that would be another nail in the other electric trucks coffins
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I wonder how long this will t
Not quite sure what you are trying to makeup here. Do some googling.

An ePTO is not the same as a PowerPoint connection to an inverter. What exactly is a "inverter panel"? A fuse box, or power outlet?

You also can't run many motors directly off a HVDC connectionand the ones you could, like a brushed DC motor, wouldn't last very long driving an implement. Most motors you can speed control, which I'd consider a prerequisite for a ePTO are AC, and use a VSD for speed control.

Connecting to HVDC would be no different than connecting it to a 1000V v4 Supercharger, because that is what it is. In fact most V2L capable vehicles use exactly that to drive extrrnal implement, the charge plug. (See EV6 etc) So not more of a safety risk than charging, plus it would still have protection and negotiate a connection before enabling the circuit anyway.

If anything an ePTO could run off a custom bi-directional variable speed drive inverter which can modulate a connected motor speed and torque. That same inverter could also be switched over to supply a 3phase power outlet to run powerpoints in the vehicle, or to an input to charge the vehicle.

Scott Beall

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Grand Cherokee (dd), 1966 Mustang, 1967 Corv
Country flag
That’s not a PTO, that’s a WTO (Wheel Take Off).

Pretty cool. Maybe Tesla could have one of those where you pop your wheel off, put it in WTO mode, then it just spins the one half-axel.
Just one reason why women live longer than men...

Deleted member 3316

I think you are confusing the nomenclature here.

A traditional PTO is a mechanical spinning shaft that is controlled by the engine speed of an internal combustion motor.

In this context an ePTO is a spinning shaft that is simply run by an electric motor but is positioned on the vehicle to function similarly as a traditional ICE PTO.

Your definition of an ePTO is simply a power outlet or V2X. Otherwise we would call a Warn 12v winch connection an ePTO… we don’t. It’s just an electrical plug.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 3316

That’s not a PTO, that’s a WTO (Wheel Take Off).

Pretty cool. Maybe Tesla could have one of those where you pop your wheel off, put it in WTO mode, then it just spins the one half-axel.
Or just leave the wheel on

If Tesla can integrate individual control of the air suspension and individual motors through the UI screen and App the need for a traditional winch would be deleted….

best part is no part.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
FYI F150-F550 have PTO options on the gearbox and motor.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Man the PTO took over this thread

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
What a load of crap!

Tesla is going to make a killing supplying high-quality, well-engineered accessories for Cybertruck.

And owning a Tesla may not be a turnkey experience, but only because there is no key to turn! You don't have to own a half dozen paid apps before you can get started, the Tesla experience is about getting the job done with a minimum of dinking around. Just get in and drive.

Converting 48V so you can use a 12V winch is just plain stupid. 12V winches are inferior to a native 48V winch. If you have special needs, maybe just stick with a legacy truck. Personally, I can't wait to get rid of mine.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you for your feedback and link. I was told that this time Tesla might need to get into it for "major" accessories given they are moving to a non-standard 48Volts architecture. I guess they are making it as they go. Will there be a need to update any standards as a results? Any impact or consequences?
What about the Semi or other new Tesla Vehicles? I am also curious about Optimus (48Volts?). I also understand the BOM (Build Of Material) challenge with sorting, packaging and shipping. My Cybertruck might be the ultimate accessory to the new Tesla Pie phone I am planning on getting. I am saying this because a cellphone is always with it's user. Note: I will buy a Tesla Pie phone as soon as they are out.
We know that Tesla is making all the electronic motors and linear actuators for Optimus in-house. That's a big deal with ramifications for Cybertruck. Tesla released a video depicting a small linear actuator lifting a large piano off the floor.

I don't know for sure if Tesla has announced the system voltage of the robots, but I bet it's 48 volts! This is very exciting since the Cybertruck will be Tesla's most vertically integrated vehicle yet (most components made in-house to suit rather than purchased off-the-shelf or special ordered from an automotive supplier like legacy auto does with almost everything). This means we'll likely have some really great powered accessories that run off the native 48-volt architecture that are powerful, efficient and quiet and require little to no maintenance.

I wouldn't expect all the niche accessories to be immediately available with the initial deliveries of Cybertruck, but I think in time there will be 48V winches that integrate seamlessly, slick snowplows that run on 48 volts, maybe even a robotic arm that folds up tightly to the side of the bed, to name but a few possibilities. None of those whiny electric motors like you hear grinding and squealing away at the boatramp as people winch their boats onto their trailers, these will be high-tech, lightweight, smooth and powerful, very efficient electric motors that last the life of the vehicle.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm laughing my ass off at this comment. Have you ever priced a single replacement matrix headlight from another manufacturer? Check this out:

5 cars that have expensive headlights to replace - headlights.com

Keep in mind that the prices quoted in this article are over 3 years old and are for one headlight, not two!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.