Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
I have not read anyone discuss an issue I just thought of. And this is a HUGE issue. AND should be an attractive reason to buy a Tesla Vehicle. It also involves a term already used that has a bad connotation. And therefore is even a better reason to name the advantage one has from owning a Tesla Vehicle.

SHELTER IN PLACE. I have been rolling and twisting around in my head what the hell to do with my roof. It got Hail Damage last March. It looks and functions great. However, my insurance company came out and told me, "Here's a check."
And I had already signed up for a CYBER(truck), and had bought TSLA Stock to help pay for it in 2 years. And then the Tesla Solar roof was being touted as not costing more than a "new roof and solar." So I pursued that option. Short story, In Florida you will not live to see the break even point if you are my age (64). And if you just put the $40,000 in TSLA it would pay for all my electricity, $2600/yr. So no go on tesla home power.
Now the "BUT"...

But I live on the Atlantic coast in Florida. About every three years I do not have electricity for a few days due to hurricanes. I use a portable generator. It is a pain. A small AC window unit. And refilling and the noise and worrying about the generator failing. Now SHELTER IN PLACE... Sleep in the CYBER(it is not a truck), use the 120 outlet to keep the koi pond(100watts) alive, and the fridge cool. Even watch TV and have a light on or two. But sleep in a stainless steel fortress with AC and entertainment.
That right there is a huge factor for millions of people that live along the coast where Hurricanes are likely. Even if you can evacuate, you have to comeback and start fixing your place up, and without power all you can do is drag all the limbs out to the street, eat half-cooked meals and take a tepid shower.
With the Cyber...you can stay in your house till, "Ooops, there goes the power. Let's get in the CYBER."
Or you could just go out and get in the CYBER so you can watch the storm through bulletproof windows, while in a climate- controlled Stainless steel fortress.
This is NOT a small thing.
The "SHELTER IN PLACE" Feature of the All New Vehicle from Tesla.
Sponsored

Reactions: Geo

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Interesting thought there. A Tesla roof may not have a payback time soon enough but what if you put a more conventional roof up there? There's a company here that will let you lease the solar and it costs less per month than the electricity you save which effectively makes it free to you. There is no upfront cost either.

If not a complete system, How about a few panels on the roof? It wouldn't have to take the full electrical load but you could probably put up 10 panels that would handle quite a bit especially if the power goes out. Well, during the day, anyway... Well, a sunny day... If the Cyber could be used to power the house at night and you could charge the CT during the day while using anything extra to power the house(you'd have to really watch how much electricity you were using and maybe knock it down to bare essentials). It would take a lot of panels to fully recharge the CT every day but if you weren't going anywhere, this could possibly work. I mean, the CT already has outlets built in!

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
I was actually thinking the CYBER would be used to keep the fridge cold and the airlifts in the koi pond going (less than 10Kw/day, maybe less than 5Kw), and the Cyber's AC would only be needed at bedtime.
Since I've been through the "inconvenience" of not having electricity after a hurricane I have identified the true value and need of electricity.
1. Keep the koi alive (My pond is circulated through airlifts for about 120watts/hour.)
2. be able to sleep well (AC) and have a light or two to read by.
3. Save the meat
A CYBER battery could run the whole thing for three days and then on the fourth day I'd drive inland to a supercharger. Most power outages are less than 5 days.
The 2 points I want to stress are:
1. During a Hurricane the Cyber would be a very safe and comfortable place to be, and by "Sheltering in place" a homeowner would not wait for the government to give the "all clear" to be allowed back on their property.
2. Once the storm passes a CYBER would provide all the comforts of "home" by being a mini-house with stored electricity to maintain vital systems for the property.
THIS IS HUGE TO A VAST NUMBER OF PEOPLE ALONG HURRICANE COASTS.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
You want to know how a term can become associated with a (non-) event?
Just look at the number of views for this Thread...
If I'd have named it...
CYBERTRUCK IS HURRICANE-PROOF it'd have a thousand views.
And the lack of views is part of the reason I named it what I did...to try and destigmatize the term "Shelter in place" from a bad thing to a good one.
I am excited to be able to SHELTER IN PLACE once I get my CYBER.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
Interesting thought there. A Tesla roof may not have a payback time soon enough but what if you put a more conventional roof up there? There's a company here that will let you lease the solar and it costs less per month than the electricity you save which effectively makes it free to you. There is no upfront cost either.

If not a complete system, How about a few panels on the roof? It wouldn't have to take the full electrical load but you could probably put up 10 panels that would handle quite a bit especially if the power goes out. Well, during the day, anyway... Well, a sunny day... If the Cyber could be used to power the house at night and you could charge the CT during the day while using anything extra to power the house(you'd have to really watch how much electricity you were using and maybe knock it down to bare essentials). It would take a lot of panels to fully recharge the CT every day but if you weren't going anywhere, this could possibly work. I mean, the CT already has outlets built in!
When I investigated Tesla Solar roof I looked at the complete solar market and all the options. Virtually nothing makes financial sense in Florida because our Kw/h is 13 cents or less. People that get solar here don't get it for the cost savings unless they are real bad at math, and getting solar installed for zero money down is even less economical.
However (BACK TO THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD), The most attractive reason i could see to get a tesla system was the powerwall's ability to provide home power after a hurricane. With a Cyber, a couple of extension cords will keep the fish alive and the food frozen without the noisy, unreliable generator. So the $40K extra to get a Tesla Solar Roof and powerwalls make buying the mac Daddy Tesla a sensible purchase.
Sponsored