Shortcuts "Find shortest route"/ back country exploring.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I live along the 5 corridor in Oregon. One thing I've noticed here since moving up from California is there are a lot of alt route to get places. Often they are shorter, but they have sections of dirt roads, are closed in the winter, or sometimes are just too windy or have 1 lane sections. Unfortunately, modern mapping apps just ignore these side routes and shortcuts almost entirely.

On a recent trip I noticed a rather big shortcut and took it in spite of much fighting with my Model Y. The blue is the Tesla suggested route, the pink, a narrow windy 1.5 lane highway which is slow... but utterly gorgeous and with little traffic.

Tesla Cybertruck Shortcuts "Find shortest route"/ back country exploring. Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 7.42.07 PM

In a normal car, this shortcut probably would have cost me a bit of time and a bunch of gas since it is so windy there is a lot of braking for curves. In my Model Y, taking this route resulted in saving 10% of my total range because it is shorter and slower. In an EV, going slow and covering fewer miles is a huge range benefit.

I would love for Tesla to include an option "use shortest route" or maybe even "Back-country Driving" which allows for more rugged shortcuts. There are other routes near here which involve 20 miles sections of dirt roads. I wouldn't take these routes in the Model Y, but would not hesitate to take with the Cybertruck.

I know Garmin used to have an option like this where it would send you on the shortest possible route (sometimes mayhem resulted!). I would like the option. It would suit this truck well and likely save fuel on occasions like this one. Failing that... it makes for interesting adventures.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's tough for automapping software to know these routes. They can't stop and ask at the ranger station if they're open.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's tough for automapping software to know these routes. They can't stop and ask at the ranger station if they're open.
Well yes and no.

They track their users movements and could flag a route "Nobody has driven down this road in 6 months". The one I used as my example also has a regular season and gets plenty of traffic during that season.

But you are right, early in the GPS mapping days Garmins sent people on some crazy routes through backcountry they didn't belong. One of them in the UK sent people through a 18" deep ford. In my Model 3 that wouldn't work, but in the Cybertruck lots of that stuff opens up.

Though the routing software also doesn't necessarily know how good the operator is at managing risk. Lots of times people have died up due to taking back roads so I'm sure they are reasonably averse to giving out directions which might kill someone.
Sponsored