OP
Zabhawkin

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
since you got enough sun, maybe consider just going off grid with some power walls? They got some crazy power now .... 400 w/panel!
No Tesla installers in my area, still considering going off grid but decided to try to move the COOP into a direction where it is better for the community first.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Not enough space, and given the height off the ground of the roof (a large colonial) I'd rather not deal with roof-mounted panels. Especially considering that I have no shortage of ground space.

The animal barn has its own rooftop microgrid/battery and uses little power, but the shop barn...might just go on its own power as well. I've been kicking around the idea of using it to test a multi-medium battery set with some LiPo, LI, and old Lead Acids - with a SolArk in the middle.

I work in the solar industry, and like to fiddle with these things.
How do you plan on balancing the different battery types and what type of BMS will support it? From what I can tell Solark is battery type agnostic, but only has one battery connection?

Do you already have the batteries? Because I'd never use lead acid ever again, they won't last long, and even AGM ones can only cycle 50%. So switching between types is going to be more trouble than it's worth in the long run. I've been running off grid on two farms for 12 years now, and since switching to lifepo 5 years ago I haven't touched it, even with the workshops running off it.

Another way to do it would be to install it a bit higher over the ground and use it as a solar carport. They work quite well and gives you some extra undercover area for the price of a bit longer tube. There's also framing kits to make it sealed if you want.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
How do you plan on balancing the different battery types and what type of BMS will support it? From what I can tell Solark is battery type agnostic, but only has one battery connection?

Do you already have the batteries? Because I'd never use lead acid ever again, they won't last long, and even AGM ones can only cycle 50%. So switching between types is going to be more trouble than it's worth in the long run. I've been running off grid on two farms for 12 years now, and since switching to lifepo 5 years ago I haven't touched it, even with the workshops running off it.

Another way to do it would be to install it a bit higher over the ground and use it as a solar carport. They work quite well and gives you some extra undercover area for the price of a bit longer tube. There's also framing kits to make it sealed if you want.
I haven't figured any of that out yet, tbh. Its very possible I come to the same conclusion and decide to just lipo the whole thing.

Holding out hope I win the lottery and can just have my own personal Megapack.

OP
OP
Zabhawkin

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven't figured any of that out yet, tbh. Its very possible I come to the same conclusion and decide to just lipo the whole thing.

Holding out hope I win the lottery and can just have my own personal Megapack.
$2.4-2.6M installed... been looking at them and hoping to work on getting grants to install in areas to support critical infrastructure... and to clean up our crappy power.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Good luck! Genuinely.

I'm building a house right now, and looking to place a ground mount solar array large enough to off-grid (once I can afford all the batteries :LOL:). I have 17 acres, and the zoning ordinance will only allow me to place a ground mounted solar array "with a total PV array size not to exceed 200 sqft".

An obvious anti-solar law, and I'm going to bash right into it willingly. I've already raised the issue with the zoning board politely, and requested a variance or a revisitation of the ordinance. I've gotten some traction so I don't feel the need to make a bigger stink yet, but I'm reserving the right to just do it anyway and go legal with the fight.
Why ground-mount? Gardens, patios, garages, car ports, pergolas, ramadas, gazebos... Just do that and you skip the stupid on-ground rules and get shaded spaces you can use.

Studies have shown that once you're 4' off the ground, it doesn't impede grazing, and many vegetables and herbs grow better when shaded at only the peak sun.

TL;dr? Put something under the panels and call them a roof.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Zabhawkin

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On my first ever attempt at an elected position I won with 55% of the vote.

Oh god what have I gotten myself into. ;)

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
On my first ever attempt at an elected position I won with 55% of the vote.

Oh god what have I gotten myself into. ;)
That was me, president of the HOA.

the solution is to sell the house and move…..😎😈

HAL GALLUS

First Name
HAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MODLE 3
Country flag
I know politics are generally a no no but due to things happening that pissed me off and not liking the direction things were headed, I am running for a position on the board of our local electric coop.

Typically I am the type that is perfectly happy being off to the side playing with my toys wanting to just be left alone. Up until someone comes along and doesn't let me do my thing.

So wish me luck, both on getting elected and actually being able to influence things.
good work, good luck, do your best.
Sponsored