Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I’ve been watching some FSD beta version first time trial videos and I have to say I’m pretty happy with the progress so far. I certainly would not take my attention off the road yet with this version of FSD but given what I see in the videos, I would certainly say that great progress is being made.

For those who don’t work with software, this release may just be more of the same. More confirmation that FSD is not ready yet. That there is nothing to get excited about.

But having worked in software for a long time, what I see is a very robust framework that needs some iterative improvements. Looking at the videos I can see a shadow of completed FSD that will be safer than any other driver out there.

I’m tickled pink. I may need to order another CT to take advantage of the current FSD price. I’ve got multiple drivers in the house so the extra vehicles won’t go to waste. I’ll just have to work extra hard to get the money together for the multiple vehicle scenario.

Videos of current FSD Beta in action:

Tesla Full Self Driving Beta Test Drive

Highway to City Street Transition – Tesla FSD BETA

Tesla FSD Midtown Driving

Tesla Beta FSD version 2020.40.8.10 drive 1

Quick Tesla FSD Test

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
For those who don’t work with software, this release may just be more of the same. More confirmation that FSD is not ready yet. That there is nothing to get excited about.

But having worked in software for a long time, what I see is a very robust framework that needs some iterative improvements.
I've worked around software since the days of punch cards (trivia: size the same a the US one dollar bill at the time Hollerith invented them) and over much of that I've heard about how great AI is going to be and it's just around the corner. So based on that this seems like "more of the same and nothing to get excited about". I've seen over the years great advances in what it can do and this is really, really impressive but nonetheless it is "more of the same". "We're almost there. Within the year...."

The problem is, always has been and always will be, as even these videos demonstrate, the "edge cases". Elon himself spoke in the 2nd quarter earnings call (I think it was) about how difficult it is to get those extra nines that will be demanded of the system before it is really FSD.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The problem is, always has been and always will be, as even these videos demonstrate, the "edge cases". Elon himself spoke in the 2nd quarter earnings call (I think it was) about how difficult it is to get those extra nines that will be demanded of the system before it is really FSD.
Yes, agreed. The edge case collection will be dependent on the number of installations out there collecting cases. Plus how many of those installations are being driven by people who put FSD into unique situations. Just cross your fingers that no severe negative incidents happen during the collection process.

Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
Watch Tesla FSD Beta Attempt One Of The Curviest Steets On The Planet (Lombard Street)

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Lombard street is awesome. 30 years ago on a road trip from Oregon to San Diego I went there and let my Labrador out of the car at the top of the hill and let him chase the car all the way to the bottom to stretch his legs out. It was GREAT!!!
All the driveways looked like they were causing problems for that poor student driver (FSD). It seems like Tesla needs to make that thing focus more on the inside of corners. Just like human drivers, you need to look at where you want to go, never look to the outside of a turn!

Last edited:

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Its great people are taking these early BETA FSD cars and pushing them to the limit. This is probably going to help the system learn even more rapidly. It would be interesting for him to come back and do the same road again in like a week, then two weeks maybe? see if the car improves? I didnt watch the video with sound so maybe he mentioned doing that.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, lots of people looking for edge cases. It's really difficult even for a well-funded team to come up with tests for it all.

I was discussing it on Twitter with someone I follow who was worried about consumers operating the beta software. And I pointed out this is like training any teen driver. Better yet, this is better than paid drivers because people have to have a destination to try it, and are more likely to be fresh and attentive than someone paid to do it for hours on end.

-Crissa

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I’ve been watching some FSD beta version first time trial videos and I have to say I’m pretty happy with the progress so far. I certainly would not take my attention off the road yet with this version of FSD but given what I see in the videos, I would certainly say that great progress is being made.

But having worked in software for a long time, what I see is a very robust framework that needs some iterative improvements. Looking at the videos I can see a shadow of completed FSD that will be safer than any other driver out there.

I’m tickled pink. I may need to order another CT to take advantage of the current FSD price. I’ve got multiple drivers in the house so the extra vehicles won’t go to waste. I’ll just have to work extra hard to get the money together for the multiple vehicle scenario.

Videos of current FSD Beta in action:

Tesla Full Self Driving Beta Test Drive

Highway to City Street Transition – Tesla FSD BETA

Tesla FSD Midtown Driving

Tesla Beta FSD version 2020.40.8.10 drive 1

Quick Tesla FSD Test

All of that will be resolved with all the feedback data that Tesla is collecting from all the Tesla's it's sold so far, and will sell in the future. And, Tesla will likely be the only manufacturer to provide the updates for us free of charge. Elon is doing an awesome job! He even dropped the price in China, because they lowered their costs... who does that??? Ever??? peace and love

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Yeah, I'm stoked for FSD to get insane developments over the next year. What my car is seeing today will eventually help the development of FSD for millions of other cars. I love that!!!!

Plus, what's not talked about much is the DOJO. The dojo is Tesla's supercomputer (it's actually the fastest supercomputer reported in the world, by 2x!!!) that will have the sole purpose of analyzing, processing, and training the FSD ecosystem, primarily on collected edge cases.

It's sickening to think other companies pay humans to collect these edge cases and developers to solve these problems at such a slow speed in comparison and expect their version of FSD to become reality any time soon. The dojo will make FSD a reality exponentially faster than anyone can comprehend once they turn it on for full-scale use! Right now it's in early stages, but Elon has teased it'll be fully active next year.

I can't wait!!!! I'm a developer and not ragging on developers (it's an insanely hard job), but instead really trying to say it's better to make the tool that automates a solution with economies of scale than to build tools to fix a problem at lower capacities. Tesla has cracked the code to FSD development with DOJO, and the general public doesn't even know it yet.
Sponsored