Tesla is under scrutiny by regulators in China over battery fires, unexpected acceleration, and more

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
This "sudden unintentional acceleration" was disproved in the late 80's with the Audi 5000.

My high school buddy bought the neighbor's nearly new Audi for, literally, next to nothing. She was afraid to drive the car.

Didn't Tesla just go through this investigation here in the US?

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
This "sudden unintentional acceleration" was disproved in the late 80's with the Audi 5000.

My high school buddy bought the neighbor's nearly new Audi for, literally, next to nothing. She was afraid to drive the car.

Didn't Tesla just go through this investigation here in the US?
Yep and it was all the fault of the drivers.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
My initial thoughts on the article were that China was trying to renegotiate the deal they have with Tesla and needed something to bargain with.

My second thought was that for anyone moving from an ICE vehicle to a Tesla, the regenerative braking would certainly be something to get used to so it wouldn't surprise me if some people had some sudden acceleration/deceleration issues that were a surprise at times.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
And then I go to Teslarati to find this article... Seems like an opposing Chinese view. Looking closer though it's from Tesla China so this may just be a marketing piece to start counteracting the issues above.

Tesla Model 3 earns ‘Recommended Car of the Year’ title in China for its health-conscious interior
CREDIT: TESLA CHINA
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla is under scrutiny by regulators in China over battery fires, unexpected acceleration, and more D98-9CA5-73E392C47C18_1_105_c-e1601883033165-80x80

ByMaria Merano
Posted on February 9, 2021

The Giga Shanghai-produced Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus scored another 5-star rating recently from the China Automotive Health Index. The top rating earned the made-in-China Model 3 the “Recommended Car of the Year in the Health Index” title.
Based on results gathered in the second half of 2020, the China Automotive Health Index gave the locally-produced Model 3 a five-star rating for interior VOCs, interior odor intensity, and electromagnetic radiation safety.

The rating also considered the materials Tesla used in the Model 3’s interior. In the China-made Model 3, odorless and harmless high-tech synthetic materials replaced animal leather, recycled cotton, and other traditional materials. According to the agency, the synthetic materials Tesla used in the Model 3 were animal-friendly and good for the environment. Tesla’s synthetic materials reduced the production of formaldehyde and other harmful gases as well.

The Model 3’s five-star rating also took into account the innovations Tesla made in certain areas like air filtration. Given 2020’s penchant for wildfires and the pandemic, air filtration has been a top priority in many areas of life, even in vehicles. The China Automotive Health Index noted that the Model 3’s air filtration had superb purification quality.

It is the second consecutive year Tesla China’s Model 3 received the title. The first time it received the “Recommended car of the Year” title was in 2019. This may just be the beginning for Tesla’s China-made lineup too, as the Giga Shanghai-made Model Y also featured the same advantages of the Model 3 Standard Range Plus, but it’s bolstered by a HEPA filter and a dedicated Bioweapon Defense Mode. With the Model Y ramping its production, Tesla may soon have another Recommended Car of the Year in the Health Index title in its hands.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
My second thought was that for anyone moving from an ICE vehicle to a Tesla, the regenerative braking would certainly be something to get used to so it wouldn't surprise me if some people had some sudden acceleration/deceleration issues that were a surprise at times.
"My initial thoughts on the article were that China was trying to renegotiate the deal they have with Tesla and needed something to bargain with."

Hold onto your initial thoughts.

To put it simply, in Phase 1, Musk puts money into China. Phase 2: Musk starts recouping his huge investment by taking money out of China.

I would not put it past the Chinese government to switch from cooperation in Phase 1 to obstruction in 2. We'll see.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
We need to bring it back before I get my CT. I am already working on my lines:

My truck has a well known condition officer....

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I wonder if this is a response to Huawei situation or just a normal process to give Chinese EVs an edge In the market there.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The suspension issue, for instance, was raised in China, but it only seems to affect cars shipped to China. So it does seem to be those trying to take advantage of a new regulatory system.

-Crissa
Sponsored