Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Tesla loves ripping off their fanboys. Is there any doubt they really care for their customers when they are constantly grifting their die hards with crap like this?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I hope it works better than the wireless charging pads in my Model Y. I submitted a service request for mine and the service chat person suggested using a USB cable instead... LOL Then said I can try turning my phone upside down, which admittedly did work on one of the pads. They went on to say that Tesla engineers are working on fixing the problem and that it's an issue for some phones. Oddly, my partner's iphone, which has the same problem in my Y, did charge easily on a 2021 Model 3's wireless pads. That didn't move Tesla service though who basically to bad, so sad.

Seems kind of annoying for a $70K vehicle...
Did you try some of the 'stick a piece of foam for the phone to sit on' solutions?

When the wireless chargers are misaligned, they have alot more trouble, and phones are different heights which makes it difficult.

-Crissa

Deleted member 12457

This is equivalent to suggesting NFL teams have key players take a couple days off of practice to design their bobble heads for sale in the branded merch stores.

Tesla engineers don’t work on these any more than they design their tee shirts or boxers. Someone in their merchandizing department sent a request to an outside company to design and manufacture these.
If you read my reply to Crissa before you sent your reply you would have seen I admitted that Tesla engineers didn't design it, it is simply a product bought by a Shark Tank winner/participant. As for your comments, there's no reason why Tesla engineers couldn't have created small products on their own.

Last edited by a moderator:

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Did you try some of the 'stick a piece of foam for the phone to sit on' solutions?

When the wireless chargers are misaligned, they have alot more trouble, and phones are different heights which makes it difficult.

-Crissa
Nope, I have tried moving it around. It does work better without a case, but the case is thing, works with other wireless chargers and is designed to support magsafe. My partner's phone that does not work is in a similar case, but worked in the model 3... so made me assume it was my vehicle. Will look around for foam piece approach, but honestly, I have just plugged it in for 8 month or so since i bought the car, just as the service chat bot suggested I should do.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So:
$300 - $39.99 = $260.01

I have to say that I've been inspired by the CT and based on just the number of hours I've spent hanging around here it has cost me WELL OVER $260.01. Perhaps $39.99 for the charger plus $260.01 worth of inspiration makes some sense.

It is somewhat telling though that most consumer products are sold just under a round number dollar amount ($9.99 instead of $10.00) but that Tesla sees no need to trick our brains into thinking we are getting the "cheaper" price and instead just goes with the big round number. That says something about how they see the purchasers of these products as being somewhat divorced from normal price conscious buying.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I hope it works better than the wireless charging pads in my Model Y.
That's the entire point. Current Qi chargers need a very close range, somewhat precise inductive coupling. This charger, made by Aria here in Phoenix, is a medium-range wireless charger that uses a different physical method to transmit the power.

I hate the location of the charging pads in the car anyway, so I put a mount on the side of the display. I want to be able to use the phone without looking down, or removing it, or having to lean forward. This charger is quite fast, plus has a cooling fan so the phone doesn't get hot. The magnet holds very well.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...arch_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
A Cybertruck model with a wireless phone charger in the bed of the truck would have been so perfect. What a missed opportunity. 😒

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
That's the entire point. Current Qi chargers need a very close range, somewhat precise inductive coupling. This charger, made by Aria here in Phoenix, is a medium-range wireless charger that uses a different physical method to transmit the power.

I hate the location of the charging pads in the car anyway, so I put a mount on the side of the display. I want to be able to use the phone without looking down, or removing it, or having to lean forward. This charger is quite fast, plus has a cooling fan so the phone doesn't get hot. The magnet holds very well.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...arch_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews
I actively try to avoid using my phone while driving, and I'm happy to use the display for nav etc. I agree the location of the pads aren't fantastic, they are a bit too out of the way, even if you're not using the phone. However, if the pads worked I would charge my phone there just for convenience. At the moment, they are just a nice looking furry bit of dash. 😜

Sounds like Tesla should integrate this "Freepower" tech into their vehicles, assuming it doesn't have some drawbacks that make it undesirable.

I have to say though, when I drive my husband's Model X (not the refreshed version) I'm reminded how I like the Model Y's center console overall. I find it hard to find a spot to put my wallet and phone that feels right in the X. In the Y I just keep the sliding cover open and have the sliding tray where I chuck my wallet. The phone sits, impotent, on the anti-charging pads but doesn't slide around or go flying. So overall, I am a fan of the center console in the Y and the 3. I wouldn't mind a larger glove compartment though.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I spend nearly all my time on AP, and do use the phone while the car drives. I stop using it if I have to drive. Also the Tesla nav is such trash, so I sometimes end up using Apple's maps or Waze.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I spend nearly all my time on AP, and do use the phone while the car drives. I stop using it if I have to drive. Also the Tesla nav is such trash, so I sometimes end up using Apple's maps or Waze.
I have FSD Beta, so using your phone is a rapid way to forced disengagements and being banned. Interestingly, even while using Nav on AP on the highway it will nag you if you do not keep your eyes on the road. You MIGHT get away with it if the phone is mounted high like the screen mount, maybe...

I don't find the nav too bad honestly. I have been a very long time user of nav, from Garmin to Waze and Google Maps. I find the Tesla nav works as well as Waze or Google in my area. Especially now with the multiple routes, waypoints etc. I commonly add stops and it works well. I can stop off, then when I jump back in the car continues with the route. Maybe in some geos it's not as effective?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I have FSD Beta, so using your phone is a rapid way to forced disengagements and being banned. Interestingly, even while using Nav on AP on the highway it will nag you if you do not keep your eyes on the road. You MIGHT get away with it if the phone is mounted high like the screen mount, maybe...
The camera cannot see my eyes. I sit too tall, and they put the camera way up high. So it just ignores me and I never get warnings (also have a steering weight).

The nav is not quite complete shit as far as street routing, but it has no concept of industrial centers, mass shopping areas, and the like. As an example, I needed a lab test last week, and the spot was in a huge medical plaza with a couple dozen buildings. Tesla took me to the main driveway. Apple took me to the front door.

Tesla's own nav cannot get you to the Superchargers in some shopping areas. It will take you to a completely irrelevant part of the mall, usually the farthest possible, LOL. Then you fire up Apple, and it takes you there.

Here's one:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/tesla-supercharger-commerce-2

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
The camera cannot see my eyes. I sit too tall, and they put the camera way up high. So it just ignores me and I never get warnings (also have a steering weight).

The nav is not quite complete shit as far as street routing, but it has no concept of industrial centers, mass shopping areas, and the like. As an example, I needed a lab test last week, and the spot was in a huge medical plaza with a couple dozen buildings. Tesla took me to the main driveway. Apple took me to the front door.

Tesla's own nav cannot get you to the Superchargers in some shopping areas. It will take you to a completely irrelevant part of the mall, usually the farthest possible, LOL. Then you fire up Apple, and it takes you there.

Here's one:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/tesla-supercharger-commerce-2
Oh interesting, not quite understanding how the camera just ignores you but I'll take your word for it. Are you using FSD Beta?

I see, I don't usually depend on the nav to get me right to the spot. The only scenario I can think of where this has been a problem for me is that it won't drive me to my garage which is down an alley, even if I drop a location right in front of the garage. This is a minor issue for me, so not worth me using my phone. Hopefully Tesla improve this.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I just have basic AP. I nearly never get any sort of warnings about not touching the wheel, and have never once had an attention warning. The camera was moved down on later models, on my 19 it's so high that I can't see it. My wife says I sit up too straight in most cars. I guess the car is programmed to not disable AP if it simply can't see your eyes.

Tesla figured out the steering wheel weight, and did counter-measures. I outsmarted Musk so far, by moving the weight to the right side. They are all made to go on the left, that's what they detect, but not the right side, LOL. If that starts to be detected, I'll come up with something else.

As to maps, it's only an occasional problem. But there are enough small reasons to use the phone that I bought that cheap solution.
Sponsored