Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
I hate it when threads go so far off the rails. Focus people! I really like all you people even though I do not always agree. Could we focus on the topic that some ass hat was selected as the new (Autopilot) Tesla bully? No one felt that her appointment would be bias even though she owns nearly one million dollars worth of shares (25,911) in VNE, a direct competitor. How deep is this rabbit hole of corruption. FSD is an afterthought for me but it just strokes my fur the wrong way when I read crap like this.
Sponsored

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Making it very hard for autopilot (or whatever you want to call it) to be deployed is a very good thing. When it finally gets the green light, it will be as good as it can be.
Autopilot is inevitable, but it should be very hard to pass muster.
So kudos to Dr Cummings! She sounds eminently qualified, and I am glad she is on the job!

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Autopilot has been deployed for years, and is very good.
In my mind, this discussion is more about full autopilot or fully autonomous driving, and whether it should be constrained.
I want a car that I can take a nap in or read the paper while it drives me to my destination. That's where we are heading, and that is a long way off. A car that keeps its lane on the highway and requires your attention to use, is a far cry from full autonomy.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
You should probably state your position with accurate words if you want to be understood.
My apologies, I sometimes write assuming that people can follow without me having to spell out every detail. ;)

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
In my mind, this discussion is more about full autopilot or fully autonomous driving, and whether it should be constrained.
I want a car that I can take a nap in or read the paper while it drives me to my destination. That's where we are heading, and that is a long way off. A car that keeps its lane on the highway and requires your attention to use, is a far cry from full autonomy.
It's not so much having "to spell out every detail" as much as it is using the correct words. Autopilot is analogous to autopilots on a boat or an airplane that can hold or a course or heading (or even follow a pre-programmed route) but that still needs a pilot to oversee it. That's what "autopilot" means and it's how they named their Autopilot.

Full Self-Driving is the fully autonomous feature you are thinking of. It is currently only in beta release so it still requires human oversight but the system, when fully developed, will drive without human oversight.

Both systems (AP and FSD) are already saving lives, reducing injury accidents and saving insurance companies money, compared to a human without AP or FSD. The usage statistics prove this. Tesla is very safety focused and will not approve FSD for use without human oversight until it is at least 2X safer than the average human without aids.

The bottom line, anyone who thinks the government can regulate safety better than Tesla doesn't understand what is going on. Tesla is already making the roads MUCH safer. If the government stepped in and said these systems cannot be approved without lengthy approval processes, it would cause more deaths and injuries than without the regulation. Tesla is not stupid about safety, and they are constantly analyzing fleet data more quickly, accurately and in a more meaningful way than any governmental appointee could hope to do.

Not only does Tesla have an ingrained focus on safety, it's in their best interest to make their products as safe as possible and to prevent users from using the products in a manner that makes the fleet less safe. Tesla is guided by the instantaneous statistics only they have immediate access to and they make these statistics available to government regulators upon request. But that doesn't mean the government regulators know how to interpret them in a manner that makes logical sense. Especially if they have an anti-Tesla bias or are trying to help other interests.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Tesla is one of many examples where government is only getting in the way of safety and progress. Look at the headlight fiasco and just now NHTSA is being forced to review it. They also delayed safer headlights on motorcycles for a very long time.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Making it very hard for autopilot (or whatever you want to call it) to be deployed is a very good thing. When it finally gets the green light, it will be as good as it can be.
Autopilot is inevitable, but it should be very hard to pass muster.
So kudos to Dr Cummings! She sounds eminently qualified, and I am glad she is on the job!
Her portfolio is glad she’s on the job too.
Sponsored